U20's vs. Uraguay (r)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by scrnut, Aug 28, 2002.

1. scrnut

scrnut New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    All of the 20's have seen time in this tournament. It will be interesting to see what the lineup will be for today's match against Uraguay.

2. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

May 18, 2002
    Line-Up

Expect to see the same lineup used in the Italy game with maybe 1 change. The more interesting lineup will be tomorrow's game. If they win, Rongen has to decide who will have the legs to play back-to-back games. If they lose, expect to see a lineup similar to the one used against Ukraine.

3. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
  4. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    danger eddie

from the Spanish article linked above...

"Ed Johnson, el jugador mas peligroso de los americanos."

If I'm translating correctly, this means something like, "Ed Johnson, the very dangerous American player."

Sweet.

Now, if we can figure out why Devin is so ill-tempered, or is it feisty? Having a captain leading the team in bookings (or close to it) seems a bit odd...

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    'the most dangerous American player.'

Good result for the boys. Who would the final be against? Brazil again I presume?

6. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Brazil eliminated Costa Rica 5-3 on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

7. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great result. In regards to the spanish article for those who care, they couldn't stop complaining about the poor state of the pitch as if this explained our win, along with our better physical conditioning. Didn't both teams play on the same pitch? I tire easily of excuses that take away from our good efforts. Uruguay had not given up a goal in it's previous matches and then get hit for 3 today(including an own goal).

The aritcle also mentions the superior technical ability of the Uruguayans and the fact that they dominated possession.

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You would hope a team playing a man up for almost the entire second half would dominate possesion.

9. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about that...that makes the 3-1 even more impressive.

10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Spaniards prefer Uruguayan style of play since it's more similar to their own than the American brand.

We get a rematch with Brazil, hopefully they won't be played off the pitch.

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a particularly ironic excuse. Most American kids probably grow up playing on much nicer surfaces than you find in working class neighborhoods or rural areas in most of Latin America. I attended junior high in Sao Paulo and played pick up games on all kinds of crappy surfaces - and that was mostly with middle-class kids. I doubt these Uruguayan kids grew up playing only on perfect, manicured lawns in Montevideo.

12. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    no $hit.

13. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    I think the Spanish press is just upset because the home team is scheduled to play for 5th place (?) in the tournament -- surely a disappointment.

Is the final really today? Wow, day after day of 80 minute games must take a real toll. So, do people expect Magee to get the start now that Barclay is suspended?

14. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I would expect more of the lineup from the Ukraine match today.

I don't think the anti-American stuff is about how Spain is doing, just the typical we don't like Americans, and they have no right to do well at soccer stuff. I notice two opposing coaches have now been sent to the stand against us. How often do you see that at all, let alone twice in one tourney?

15. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you haven't done so already, check out the article at: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=21106&itype=.

There's a sequence midway through that goes something like this:

Para n: EJ goes from his own 35 to their 30, splitting defenders along the way, and rips a one-hopper into the back of the onion bag.

Para n+1: US defense tightens up after Barclay ejection, and allows "only" 4 shots to the 2d-highest scoring team of the tournament.

Para n+2: The first goal is effectively an assist from US Keeper Steve Cronin's punt...

What a crazy game. No wonder the Uruguayan coach was ejected. He must have been going nucking futs.

16. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    This is a great result for this team. I thought Rongen couldn't coach?? ;)

It would be tough for him ot make many roster changes outside of Convey after the way this team has played don't you think??

17. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Unless Quaranta is healthy.
    He would almost certainly start in front of Barclay.

Simek and Whitbred remain wildcards, I think.

18. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Yea, Tino. Sounds like he is starting to do some jogging at United practices so he might make it back.

19. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
  21. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    I've been impressed with the college boys, especially Grabavoy and Clark. I wonder if this is going to be Grabavoy's last year in college.

22. kyledane

kyledane Member

Jan 28, 2000
    Near San Francisco
    That's blasphemy coming from your mouth.

23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Grabavoy appears to be holding his own quite well:) Clark needs to chill out a little with the carditis but he sounds like a potential stud.

24. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Not as difficult competition, but he looked really creative and goal-hungry in the Nationals a few weeks ago. Could definitely see him going pro. When is the MLS draft?