U20 World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Glove Stinks, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So the US opens the u20 WC on Aug 6th v Japan followed by Paraguay on the 9th and Spain on the 16th
    Thats a pretty tough Bracket. The last 5 meetings vs Japan have gone 2-2, 1-2, 0-1, 0-5, and 0-3. Lets hope they can find some holes in the Japanese defense. Don't have much on Paraguay, but Spain has gotten increasingly better of the last two cycles. Ton of talent on this US team, but can they put it all together? I think they squeek out of the bracket, but then youve got to get through a gauntlet that can include England, France, China, Germany, Ghana, and even Japan for a second time in the final
    Any predictions?

CoachJon repped this.
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think a lot gets determined by how the US comes out of the Japan match. Obviously a result sets them up well but even if they lose they need to come out of it determined and confident. If they let a bad first match carry over to Spain it finishes them. Back in 2012 the 20s had a seemingly telling loss 3-0 to Germany in group. They rallied around it determined to prove they were better than that and only gave up 1 goal in the knockout rounds.

Dundalk24 and Glove Stinks repped this.
  3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of like the senior WNT in the 2016 Olympics!:D;)

4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know why Civana Kuhlmann is not on the roster?

GOALKEEPERS (3): Hillary Beall (Michigan; Laguna Beach, Calif.; 0/0), Laurel Ivory (Virginia; Surfside, Fla.; 12/0), Amanda McGlynn (Virginia Tech; Jacksonville, Fla.; 10/0)

DEFENDERS (7): Emily Fox (UNC; Ashburn, Va., 32/3), Naomi Girma (California Thorns FC; San Jose, Calif.; 17/0), Samantha Hiatt (Stanford; Newcastle, Wash.; 11/1), Tara McKeown (USC; Newbury Park, Calif.; 22/0), Zoe Morse (Virginia; East Lansing, Mich.; 19/0), Kiara Pickett (Stanford; Santa Barbara, Calif.; 16/0), Isabel Rodriguez (Ohio State; Canton, Mich.; 19/0)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Savannah DeMelo (USC; Bellflower, Calif.; 36/5), Jaelin Howell (Real Colorado; Windsor, Colo.; 26/2), Brianna Pinto (NTH Tophat; Durham, N.C.; 22/3), Taryn Torres (Virginia; Frisco, Texas; 12/2), Viviana Villacorta (UCLA; Lawndale, Calif.; 23/1)

FORWARDS (6): Erin Gilroy (Tennessee; Bellmore, N.Y.; 4/2), Penelope Hocking (So Cal Blues; Anaheim, Calif.; 9/3), Abigail Kim (California; Vashon, Wash.; 24/6), Ashley Sanchez (UCLA; Monrovia, Calif.; 33/11), Alexa Spaanstra (Virginia; Brighton, Mich.; 3/0), Sophia Smith (Real Colorado; Windsor, Colo.; 25/21)

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, the Stanford thread said Kuhlmann has a foot injury.

jnielsen, CoachJon and Dundalk24 repped this.
  6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #6 luvdagame, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    not confident they can get out of the group.

they just tied china 0-0 in a warm-up game, & i expect spain who just won the uefa u19 championship, (beating both france and germany along the way) to pass the ball around them just like japan does.

my doubts have to do with their ability to win with less possession like france did in russia?

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Japanese passed it around our senior team--certainly in the first half--but we (Morgan) finished two of the few chances we had and led 2-1 after 45. Have to take your chances if you're struggling to possess.

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, but France tied the US B team in their last warmup before the men's WC and France did OK after that. A result in a warmup friendly is about as meaningless as a match can get. The main goal for good teams in warmup matches, no matter what is said to the press, is to not get injured.

I am not saying that the US will do great or poorly in their matches, I am just saying that the warmup match(s) are totally meaningless.

Namdynamo and cpthomas repped this.
  9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    point taken....

... somehow i'm not reassured. (don't read below if you don't want my negative vibes).

here are our last 5 u20 results vs japan: 0-3 loss, 0-5 loss, 0-1 loss, 1-2 loss, 2-2 draw.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Of course the 20s played 3 knockout round games and the NT one but other than than ur spot on :p

11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tourney Starts TOMORROW...SUNDAY early early A.M.!!!!
    I'm copying Movements' post about T.V. over here cuzzzz this might be where some will look.
    Fox TV Schedule link (Red "Next" button for additional games/replays etc):
    https://www.livesoccertv.com/competitions/international/fifa-u20-womens-world-cup/

and the Fox Sports Go site:
    https://www.foxsportsgo.com

USA Matches
    Monday Aug 6, 2018 1:30 PM (ET) vs, Japan (FS2)
    Thursday Aug 9, 2018 1:30 PM (ET) vs, Paraguay (FS2)
    Monday Aug 13, 2018 7:30 PM (ET) vs, Spain (FS2)

12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Right now the girls are sleeping in France at this exact moment, and you can bet that several of them are dreaming of playing in their first ever World Cup like tournament during their REM sleep.

13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Ghana has always been much better at the U-17 than the U-20 level.
    Nigeria has always been better than Ghana at the U-20 level.
    I'm not sure Ghana has ever gotten out of their group at the U-20's before.

The rest of those nations are tough.

We could see someone other than USA, Germany, and North Koera win this time.

14. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Jennie Taft and Cat on the Mic....sent the 1st String.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching 2 WWC Matches simultaneously....Me Likely.

MiLLeNNiuM and CoachJon repped this.
  16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss Cat announcing games.

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Are you in the U.S. or elsewhere? Are matches broadcast on another U.S. network besides FS2?

18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There were two matches on at the same time. One on FS1 and the other on FS2.

That is not happening tomorrow as the China match seems like it will be delayed. I do not know if the last group matches are under the same rules as for regular World Cups but, if it is, we may well see the same thing for the last group matches.

19. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very impressed by the finishes so far in these matches.

20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stars and Stripes are on the Pitch.
    BTW, brain f*rt yesterday- -Jenn Hildreth and Cat on the Mic.
    Blue Kits. USA chants have started.

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jackdoggy repped this.
  22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18' 0-0 To and fro. Japan's accurate passing gets disrupted by an oddly high number of intercepted passes. USA are power-dribbling into, and sometimes out of, congestion. Both teams occasionally dump ball into the other team's box, immediately lost. GK Ivory has had somewhat more activity than Japan GK Hannah Stambaugh(!).

22' 0-0 This looks ... even.

23. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooooooo absolutely wiping out a goalie is not a Yellow??????

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  24. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a wild sequence there around the 30th. I thought Japan scored.

25. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USA should put their more technical, older, but slower players to practice against their youth teams.