U20 CONCACAF Champions League

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by soccersubjectively, Mar 12, 2014.

1. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying it should happen but just wondering what it would look like. The current set up has
    • Mexico - 4
    • USA - 4
    • Costa Rica - 2
    • Honduras - 2
    • El Salvador - 2
    • Guatemala - 2
    • Canada -1
    • Panama - 1
    • Nicaragua - 1
    • Belize - 1
    • Caribbean teams - 3 (They have a tourney between Antigua and Barbuda, Jamaica, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago)
    Would that same number of qualifying teams for this hypothetical tournament? What teams would represent each region?

2. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think the problem with this is if all the teams in those countries have a u20 squad. I know most of them do, but do all of them? It really would benefit the players and CONCACAF in general

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current format gives Panama 2 clubs, not 1.
    Even if enough clubs had U-20 clubs, this would never happen because it wouldn't make enough money to pay for travel expenses.

4. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Maybe if u Give them the samw Schedule that the older teams play? At least in group stages.

5. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I know it'll never happen but was just curious what teams would be included. Surely it wouldn't just be the U20 teams of the already qualified senior teams, would it?

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA started a Youth Champions League (I don't know what the age limit is) that uses the youth clubs of the 32 Group Stages senior clubs.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  7. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This actually would be a fantastic idea, it will certainly help, just like they do in UEFA

8. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    It COULD happen, just maybe not as soon as we would want

Overachiever repped this.
  9. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wow didn't know that. What a great idea. Love it.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It won't happen for a long time, if it ever does happen. MLS clubs don't even have U-20 teams. UEFA does U-19. Why not do a U-19 competition? MLS clubs have U-18 teams and Liga MX clubs have U-17 and U-20 teams. They can meet in the middle.

11. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Alot of central american clubs barely have reserves squads, much less a u19 or less squad. Even worse for the Caribbean teams.
    I say that they should maybe regulate an u20 league in each country first before trying this. While CONCACAF cant force teams to do something, they can try to help start their underage tournaments, they way Mexico has them (theres a reason Mexico wins alot of u17 WC)

12. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A yearly U20 tournament might be easier to orchestrate over a league. Less games and travel would essentially be voluntary. If they can't make the tournament, someone else in CONCACAF could surely scrape together a team of youngsters, even if it was a "supergroup" assembled solely for the tournament.

13. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Then thats more of an international tournament. No real point

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Speak for yourself.. I'm more than certain Costa Rica and Honduras have a Liga de Reservas aka U-20 League. It goes Liga de Reservas, Liga Mayores, then Liga de Menores. Every team in Honduras and CR could muster up a U-20 team. idk about the rest of yall since I'm not up on how yall run game, but I'd love to see our U-20s in it. No problem.

15. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    U20 reserve leagues are present in some central american countries + Mexico. Why should everyone else meet MLS in the middle when it is the MLS that's the odd one out.

Majin repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Because that wouldn't be a CONCACAF Championship. USA and Canada are part of CONCACAF. Its not just Mexico+Central America that matters.

17. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Are you serious??? You must be joking...

You're basically that all of CONCACAF should modify their [mutual] U20 reserve leagues to fit in with the MLS when it should be the other way around.

This is classic American self - entitlement right here...

Majin repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why should USA and Canada modify their systems for Central America and Mexico?

19. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Because the MLS is the exception, not the norm. I'll repeat, why does the rest of CONCACAF have to change to suit the MLS? Do you seriously not see the hole in your reasoning? Are you the same type of American that believes that the world revolves around the US?

Even if your argument was for CONCACAF to restructure to conform with the best U 20 system in CONCACAF, it would still not be the MLS.

Majin repped this.
  20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    cuz we outnumber you.

get on that U-20 league breh.. that should be like fundamental at this point in your league development stages tbh.

21. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    ES has a u21 reserve league so theres no problem here. Im talking about Guatemala, Panama, Nicaragua, and the Caribbean countries, because they are part of CONCACAF also.

As for the US amd Canada, I think that theyll reach that point eventually, but they shouldn't rush to much. Their leagues aren't even 20 yrs old, and its not like their league is ridiculously great (though they do have a underage league going with their MLS teams, I know that)

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I know Panama does.. idk about Guatemala, I think some of their clubs have one.. only like 3-4 clubs in Nicaragua have one, but for the most part Walter Ferretti does, and since their the champion the majority of the time, it shouldn't matter :D. Jamaica has the Manning Cup which is a U-20 league.

23. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Those are just some. While we could start a tournament, what would the teams that DONT have a u20 team do?

24. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    teams who generally don't have a U-20 team, are relatively bad.

problem solved, next question.