U15's Delle Nazioni International Tournament

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Apr 13, 2015.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    CHICAGO (April 13, 2015) – U.S Under-15 Boy’s National Team head coach John Hackworth has selected a 20-player roster that will travel to Gradisca d’Isonzo, Italy, from April 21-May 2, and compete in the 12th Tournament Delle Nazioni.

The group will first depart to Italy, one of the three host nations for the tournament, where it will prepare for a few days before heading to Slovenia for its opening-round match on April 25 against Costa Rica.

The USA has been drawn into Group C of the tournament alongside Slovenia, Costa Rica and Croatia, and will play all of its group matches in various cities across Slovenia.

Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Alexander Budnik (Sockers FC; Arlington Heights, Ill.), Eric Lopez (LA Galaxy II; Westminster, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (6): Jake Arteaga (LA Galaxy, Glendora, Calif.), Kelee Cornfield-Saunders (Chivas USA; San Marcos, Calif.), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City; Olathe, Ks.), Rayshaun McGann (Philadelphia Union; Royal Palm Beach, Fla.), Bryan Perez (Sherman Oaks Extreme SC; Los Angeles, Calif.), Chandler Vaughn (D.C. United; Woodbridge, Va.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): George Acosta (Estudiantes de La Plata; Miami, Fla.), Carlos Anguiano Diaz (Chivas USA; Los Angeles, Calif.), Christopher Durkin (Richmond United; Glen Allen, Va.), Blaine Ferri (Solar Chelsea SC; Southlake, Texas), Christopher Goslin (Georgia United; Locust Grove, Ga.), Nicholas Taitague (Richmond United; Midlothian, Va.), Adrian Villegas (Portland Timbers; Hood River, Ore.)

FORWARDS (5): Ayomide Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton, Ont.), Zico Bailey (LA Galaxy; Las Vegas, Nev.), Andrew Carleton (Georgia United; Powder Springs, Ga.), Lucas Del Rosario (Capital Area RailHawks; Durham, N.C.), Timothy Weah (Paris Saint-Germain F.C.; Rosedale, N.Y.)

* There's three 99's in Lopez, Taitague, and del Rosario

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/04/13/13/14/150413-u15bnt-italy-tournament-roster

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Someone's been reading @didi11's posts. ;)

3. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It looks like a super strong roster that includes some of the best 99's and 00's. I know a bunch of Euro coaches and scouts (and of course agents) will be at the tournament. I think US will do really well.

Gacm32 repped this.
  4. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Lederman and that other Barca kid suppose to be on this roster?

5. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If a player is playing at a big club (say Barca or Liverpool), he is pretty much guaranteed to be called up at the beginning and may go to an international trip/tournament or two (I think Lederman went with 99's before).
    After that, it's up to YNT coaches whether they like him or not. Obviously each coach has his own criteria or preference. The style of play probably matters too.

I am repeating something here that many people have talked about at length before:

At this young age, a lot of skillful and intelligent players simply wouldn't look that impressive if they are physically weak. Recall Sir Alex said Paul Scholes would never make it because he was too tiny.
    Another well known example is Ajax youth coaches wanted to release Bergkamp at age 14-5 because he was too weak physically. Cruyff saw his talent and saved him.
    If a coach wants to win at U14-16, then he probably wouldn't choose the young Scholes or Bergkamp. US still cares too much about winning for any age group. The YNT coach can't afford to have too many bad results. The easiest thing to do is to choose the most dominant players (technically and/or physically) at the current age group.

We all know looking like a world beater at U15 is not a very reliable indicator for future greatness.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  6. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's why I have been going way overboard to praise Blaine. It has nothing to do with him and my son being on the same team. My son is not within 10 zip codes of his neighborhood.
    Blaine is not a "stud" player, so to speak. To me, his creativity, soccer IQ, and first touch are international class.

Again, using my own argument, I can be completely wrong. Because Blaine is an 8th grader! Not even 15 yet.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Its not about being right or wrong. You think he's a good player. Its always nice to see analysis from people who actually see players. We waste too much time foreshadowing future greatness. We always want to see victims in life's decisions. Find fallacy when its just how the world works. In fact Berkamp and Scholes weren't cut but by saying they almost were plays into a narrative. Almost every player was 'almost cut' from some team in their lifetime. Its how life works. Even Berkamp and Scholes were on other teams they would have developed them and greatness achieved. Just later or differently. If Ferri or Lederman don't get selected for every youth national team from now on does that still restrict their maximum pursuit for greatness. In US 2015 I don't think failing to make a single national team squad hurts their chances to maximize their talent later down the road. They are in both good environments. My point is we should care much less whether any individual player gets selected to any individual NT camp and worry much more what training they are getting the remaining 90% of the year. Youth National Teams have their inherent limitations that you touch upon.

didi11 repped this.
  8. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Totally agree it may not matter over the long run whether they get selected for one or several youth national teams or not.
    I do think that the most promising American young players should go to Europe though. I say that not because I am a Euro snob. To me, soccer has no nationality. The reason is that the level of US academy soccer is just poor and the training isn't professional enough. I watched a U16 game this weekend and the quality is so bad. The play is so slow. Every player takes at least 5 extra touches. And all have extremely bad first touch. Not one player is remotely close to pro level. It won't matter whether he is Blaine or Lederman, he wouldn't develop into anything playing on a team and the league like that.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Unfortunately most players would have to wait until their 18 and that's too late. Fix our system because most kids are too young to leave, have a lot of competitive and citizenship rules limiting their chance at first team football, and its too late in their development to make any significant difference. Go to Europe ignores these realities. Fix US development and stay and demand change. Jumping ship and getting a few dozen players in their late teens to Europe solves nothing.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup................

I mean we're talking about a U15 camp here.

Do people think John Hackworth is some sort of youth scouting/talent evaluation expert?
    I guess I don't even know whether he's the one doing the scouting. Probably not.

11. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #11 didi11, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    He saw some academy games, especially at showcase in Indiana. But the bulk of scouting is done by US soccer local scouts.

12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Jaylin Lindsey @JaylinLindsey · 6h 6 hours ago
    Good way to start off with a Win against Costa Rica 4-1. Now we got to focus on getting a win against Croatia tomorrow[​IMG] #1N1T [​IMG][​IMG]

Pl@ymaker, Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  13. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We couldn't get a shut out against Costa Rica. Fire Hackworth.

14. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    US has a strong team this time so it may win this thing. However, they play up one year, I think. It won't easy.

Gacm32 repped this.
  15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't pay much attention to this team. When I do, however, it seems like Carleton does something worthy of notice.

When Atlanta figures out their academy structure, this seems like the kind of kid they should be interested in bringing in.

Gacm32 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    [​IMG] U.S. Soccer YNT @ussoccer_ynt · 7m 7 minutes ago
    The U-15s began their run in the Tournament Delle Nazioni with a 4-1 win over Costa Rica yesterday.

[​IMG]

Pl@ymaker and Gacm32 repped this.
  18. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    [​IMG]USAprospects@USAprospects · 8m 8 minutes ago
    US U14 boys starting 2-0 in Tournament Delle Nazioni with wins over Costa Rica (4-1) and Croatia (6-2). Lots of talent on #usynt roster

U15s?

Pl@ymaker and Gacm32 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Croatia's youth teams are no joke. Beating them by 4 goals is impressive.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Especially after Slovenia beat them by only three.

22. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Not bad from the youngsters, they look to be a talented group, and scoring 12 goals in 3 games is not bad production at all.

25. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 Werdman89, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Austria is a team of '99s and Mexico brought '00s in their group. It's really hard to figure out exactly what age group we played against this tournament and will play against without knowing their rosters.