U14 Offers - Do You Pick the Club or Team or Coach?

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by 5x300games, Nov 15, 2011.

1. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Theoretical question: Your dd gets three offers for a U14 team. Which one of these do you take and why?

1) A great team (best team in the area at their age group - easily beats both #2 and #3 below) playing for a relatively new club with a good coach;

2) A great coach (known developer of youth talent) with a good 1s team on a relatively new club

3) A national-level club (e.g. FC Milwaukee) on a good 1s team with a good coach.

Sconnie repped this.
  2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not an expert; but my advice is to forget about the "great team" because really, who cares who's beating who at U14?

My preference would be for the great coach who's known for developing talent at the new club; but I don't know enough about FC Milwaukee to know why they're considered "great." If it's for club-wide support of development and patience with individual players, then great--maybe consider them as well.

But really, my advice is to go with a coach who wants your daughter and has the patience and skill to help her develop.

My two cents.

JustPlayTheGame repped this.
  3. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    You can't just discard the great team outright because you would be missing the opportunity to practice against the best players. (In theory.)

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not so sure about that. Not saying you're wrong, but what makes a winning U14 team is not necessarily collecting the "best" players, if we're talking technical skills, tactical awareness, etc. You might just have a collection of modestly skilled, but fast and strong girls who know their roles on the team.

Of course, I don't know the specifics of your situation.

5. left foot mom

left foot mom Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    If this was my daughter, she would be playing for team #1. My experience is that by U14, the 'strong, fast' teams are not that dominant anymore. The technical teams have begun to catch up to them. If team #1 is that superior, my assumption would be they have very talented players.

Also, you would think that team #1 is going to be playing in the top brackets in the top tournaments, therefore facing the best competition and being seen by the most scouts. If you don't think there are not scouts (not necessarily college but id2 and regional ones) looking at U14 players, I beg to differ.

The only thing that would give me pause about team #1, is if they were not in a ECNL club and the other 2 teams were. All things being fairly equal, I would pick an ECNL club overall.

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it depends on what your goals are.

7. bluechicago

bluechicago Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is in Milwaukee, so the only option for ECNL is FC Milwaukee, unless she wants to drive to Chicago multiple times a week. That being said, you need to go watch the practices, and some games as well if you can. There are still plenty of teams at U14 winning by playing kickball, and if the club in #1 does not have a history of great teams/coaches that is more than likely the case. I usually prefer the great coach over anything, but at U14 you are approaching the age where you want to start thinking about the future as well. Hopefully she has a sound technical base, if she does not than the great coach is the way to go. I don't know much about FC Milwaukee, but as their director/president??? is the director of ECNL I would imagine they are following the ECNL guidelines fairly closely. If so, that would be the choice for me.

8. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Assume for sake of argument:

1) all three teams play the same league and tournament schedule;
    2) the best team is the best because of skill level, not athleticism;
    3) next year, the coach will not move up to U15 with the team;

9. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I would pick the team with the best coach. If that coach is not going to move up with the girls the following year at U15, then you need to research how are the rest of the coaches or the eventual taker of the team in terms of quality. Also, research all 3 clubs' player development philosophies.

If the best team, from your 3 options, is really the best because of the skill level of the players compared to the other two teams, but their coach is not the best, then that could be an indication that this club is just assembling players and not necessarily developing them.

Perhaps, if you daughter joined the team with best coach, that might give them the edge over the other two and in turn make that team the best of the 3. And since all 3 teams play at the same level and scene, then you don't have to worry about getting scouted and recruited. Worry about providing the best opportunity for your kid to develop and fulfill her talents. The best coach would know how to do that, the best team wouldn't.

10. realitycheck

realitycheck Member

Jul 10, 2007
    How about a good coach and club that actually plays and teaches a system, that fits dd's goals for getting better.

11. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Who you choose and why depends.

1. What are the goals of the player?
    a) Do they want to play in college
    1) if so div 1 top 25, div 2?

2. The level and athleticism of the player
    a) Does she have god given tools to play at this level

3. Skills
    a) Where is she in her skill development and how hard does she work to improve.

If she will join the "best" team will she play and are these girls truly the best? The main reason you would join the best team is exposure and it is not exposure at u14 but u15 and u16 and u17 but the reputation of the team starts at u14. If this coach is not the greatest does the coach or club have contacts at colleges and with tournaments to get into the higher brackets that the teamwill attend.

If she has the physical tools and is lacking in technical skill I will choose the developmental coach but she will need be on the better team by u16 if she wants to play in college.

ECNL great exposure but you pay for that exposure we will see were they are in two years.

If both teams will get the same level of exposure and the difference in quality is minimal I would always go for the better coach.

Remember your kids play soccer because they like playing soccer and dont discount the fact of the team she will fit in better with. These girls will spend a lot of time together and it will get ugly quickly if she does not get along with the other players.

12. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Why is learning a system important?

13. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    First, CVAL, your questions raise answers. I remember you as always being a thoughtful poster, especially on areas of development.

Goals (great question): Undecided - multi-sport athlete undecided about which of two sports to pursue (soccer and basketball).

Level/Athleticism/Skills: Very good. Would stand out at age level but not THE best in a metro area.

Best Team: She would start BUT ONLY because she is a missing piece of the puzzle. She joins the team and the whole team improves. (Think center mid.)

Parent believes exposure at this age is a non-issue.

14. YourSoccerMentor

YourSoccerMentor New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Can you play for all three?

If you can play for more than one and still manage I would strongly suggest that. The more they can play at a young age the better (as long as they are taking care of their bodies).

Proper nutrition, hydration, stretching, recovery, etc.

If they are capable of playing at all these levels, why not play at the highest. That must be the national level (FC Milwaukee). The best coach is the playing environment.

If they are forced to play in a top level they will have to become a top level player or get left behind.

Most importantly they need to be training on their own to become a top level player and capable of playing at any level.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R2Fux-ajMc"]Soccer Tips and Advice[/ame]

Best of luck. Keep me posted on your progress.

15. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If that is the case, then it doesn't matter what team she joins. First, decide what her long-term goal is. Second, no don't think short-term.

That should mean that she would get noticed regardless if she joins the best team.

If that is the case, then she will improve whichever team she joins. Perhaps, if she joins the team that is not "the best", then they will become "the best team", better than the current "best team".

Are all team options part of the ECNL?

I still think you should go to the team with the best coach for development.

16. drink your milk

Jul 4, 2006
    coach coach coach coach coach coach coach

so what if the team is #1? they may have a lot of fast kids and one or 2 skilled players and a fantastic finisher. and going to that #1 team does not mean your dd is going to play. something to think about.

a good club just means they produce well at tournaments. Look at all the clubs in the SoCal area. ECNL teams draw the scouts, but again, dd could be on the bench

you never can stop developing. and a coach who cares enough about your dd's development is also going to care enough about getting your child playing at uni.

17. Jazlizard

Jazlizard New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Coach, all the way.

If you can find a good coach that you know is going to stay with the team as they move along, and will have your daughters best interest in mind, then I wouldn't hesitate one bit.

How good the team is shouldn't really be much of a factor. It sounds like they all play the same competition, so if the great coach comes with only a "good" team she may actually get the opportunity to shine more, get more play time, and lead on a team with "good" players, vs trying to come in and find a way to contribute on a team full of stars.

But again the Coach comes first, but only if you know they plan to follow the team, otherwise, who knows what you'll get next season/year.

18. Westmeister

Westmeister New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    I realize I am a little late for this thread but here it is anyway.

If your dd has asperations of playing in college especially DI, FC Milwauke is your best bet. U14 is a good age to make the change so when the scouts start watching in a year or two she will be well assimilated with that team. She will get more exposure through ECNL and also that club can usually get into the top showcase tournaments such as Surf Cup, I've seen FCM teams there in the past. I know that having my dd on a high exposure team in San Diego made a huge difference in her college options and she is very happy with the DI college she is at.

Good Luck, I hope it all works out well for your dd.

19. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Your 13 years old right.

One where you can get to practice and home games traveling by yourself.

One that cost your parents the least money because th club has many sponsors and donors.

A team that plays in the best league and in their best division. You have no chance of being picked for your leagues select team if you play in a lower division so that is very important.

How would you know if he was a great coach or not? Have to see them train and talk to their players, and know good training when you see it. A great coach would not be coaching on a new club. unless he founded the club.

A well known club the chances are have the best coaches, the best players want to play for them, and they should play in the best leagues best division.

Does that answer your question?

20. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    you pick a coach who has the attitude of Fun. Positive.Win.....in that order.

21. SockerFan70

SockerFan70 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago
    at 7 and 8 sure. at 14, might want a coach that can actually develop players and does a good job teaching the game.

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Players develop themselves....if just allowed to play the game all the time.

23. SockerFan70

SockerFan70 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago
    Really? Let me guess, parents have just as much to do with it as coaches :)

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you mean, I think, but I have to disagree--at 14, it's time for serious players to start developing some tactical awareness. They should have their basic technical skill set developed by that age.

25. SockerFan70

SockerFan70 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago
    AMEN!!!!!! That is what I looked for when my daughter was on the move in Chicago. Where was she going to be the best tactical training to help her learn the game, and still be able to compete against quality opposition and have a good team around her. Sadly the #1 club in the area has a real a-hole coaching the team her age (I wish she was a year older or younger because the other ECNL coach at the club is awesome), so the decision was made for us. In order to play in the ECNL you only have 2 choices.