u13 - USDA playing time recommendation

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by GASOCCERFORUM, Mar 14, 2017.

1. GASOCCERFORUM

GASOCCERFORUM New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    For all age groups but the u12 one, there is 25% start rule.

On page 11 of the rules/regulations, there is also some little known recommendations as well. What is folks interpretation of this statement for the u13 age group???

https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/ddh3x...c3dep1i97t0q5h

a. Suggested Playing Time Recommendations for U-12 and U-13: At the U-12 age group, coaches are expected to play each player 50% of the minutes for every game. For the U-13 age group, players are expected to play a minimum of 50% of game minutes per month, as part of the individual player development plan.

ko242 repped this.
  2. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The transition from 50% every game to 50% every month is probably about teaching players (and their parents) that playtime is not guaranteed…some games you may play lot; others not at all….it also gives coach more flexibly to play and rest their players, yet still being held to the idea that training is most important, but game time is not unimportant with regard to development…

ko242 repped this.
  3. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Aren't there strict substitution rules for DA? With a roster of 18, I don't think the sub rules would allow for everyone to play 50% of each game.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if that's really the reason for the switch--with that big of a roster, it would be a logistical headache tracking everybody's playing time IN a game; but week-to-week it would be more manageable.

5. GASOCCERFORUM

GASOCCERFORUM New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Yea, its stated as per month, which is much easier to meet if monitored properly. The question is if this is just a recommendation or expected of clubs. The use of the word expected in my opinion, makes you think it should be followed.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Club ball had no minimum time requirement or suggestions.

But when I started to coach I tried to keep playing time even. As was said before it is impossible to do each game per game. When you had a team of 18. You can only suit up 18 in a game. In our youth league you can take more then 18 over a season. Our was fall spring you can have 23 player for the whole season.

So I would keep track of the totals minutes played over a whole season. I would average out to equal playing time over the season. How I was able to do it was we had a certain amount of league games. I would also book and equal amount of friendly games. Since we had a good club friendly games were easy to book. We did home and way on friendlies they were all against good teams. Which meant our friendly game schedule were all very competive unlike our league game schedule.

StrikerMom repped this.
  7. GASOCCERFORUM

GASOCCERFORUM New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Interesting, still can't get a response from our club on this "rule"

Seems like its an expectation to be followed, why else state it in the rules/regulations.

8. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There is always a lot of gray area with a suggestion, even one written down and codified…my guess, the reason you’re not getting much in the way of a response from your club is because they aren’t really sure how to interpret it either…it’s a suggestion, not a requirement, yet USSF felt strong enough write the suggestion down, so who knows…

However, I would further guess, a club would have really try hard to be held in violation of this suggestion…as long a club makes some effort to get everyone some playtime, they probably won’t have an issue from the USSF…(caveat: as long as this is the only issue; as in this could be a easy tack on issue if they were look to hammer club for other reasons)

Your club might also be worried you are going to start bitchin’ about it, which could be driving their hesitation as well…

9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Clubs bylaws are what the club organizers want it to be. That has nothing to do with the league your playing in. I worked for clubs and I started three clubs of my own. I wrote the bylaws for my three clubs.

10. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some one asked me how do you start a club. Here is their question and my answers.

I have started two clubs (started another one) after these two.

. Never did non profit even though I never made a profit.

Most important thing to have at the start is a home field. No home field no club.

Sometimes leagues or organizations hold permits for all the fields. So you have to make calls ask favors and be willing to do favors for them letting you play on those fields.

You can do it in a few ways. Get a permit for a public field if you can find one.

Or go to an established club or org and ask if you can play on their field the first game it would be an early game like 8AM. Why would they let you play on their field? They don't have an early game, you will mark the field for them, and set up the field for them. So it is ready to go for their first game. Your paying for the paint to do the field a couple of hundred bucks for the season. Also you will make a donation to the club for some money like 50 dollars a game every home game you play.

So it's a win situation for them. Might even offer to mow the grass for them. Make them an offer they can't refuse if you want the field bad enough.

--------------------

Then you decide on which league you want your new club to be part of and how many teams and ages you will put in.

A new club can be made up of one team at first.

You call league for paper work. give age and what div. They won't put a new team in their highest division the first year. Might be able to do it the next season if you kick butt. Actually if your are beating teams bad they might come to you and ask if you wanted to be moved the first season that season. That can work the other way also might move you down.

You have to pay to be in the league. You have to pay for each team you put in the league. You have to put up a refundable performance bond to make sure you finish the season.

You have to pay a small amount to register each player with the youth part of the USSF. You are insured for this as well.

You have to pay the officials fees for each home game before the start of each game.
    -----------

You need uniforms home and away.

You need to buy goals if you don't have them and nets, paint sprayer and paint machine, corner flags, practice balls, practice pennies, game balls, a place to store equipment, water bucket, first aid kits and contents of kit.

You need transportation to get to and from games.

You need bylaws for your new club. The rules that players, parents and different ones for coaches that all must follow. Proof of ages for all players.

Might need a ladder even :)

Might have to pay for a professional trainer and would have to pay for tournaments if you do tournament play.

My advice is to play a lot of friendly games as well, as many as your league games.

This can run you into some money even if you charge the players to play. So you might need thousands of dollars in front money start up money.

So unless you have a lot of loose cash to spend get a partner to help you with the team and with expenses.

Then you just have to find the players :)

11. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They changed the rules prior to the start of the DA season this year, initially it was going to be a required 50% playing time, but it's now 25% starts required. So it sounds like they left that 50% thing in as a recommendation.

12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are unlimited subs per game within that roster, but once a player is subbed out they can't come back on. And I'm pretty sure the 50% is supposed to be over the course of a season, not within each game.

13. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Looking ahead to 2017-2018 season, the 2003/u14 word is that roster size is ballooning to 23 (23!). That's a lot of kids not playing. What will the play time rules be for next season with such a big roster? Has anyone seen anything?