U.S. Women's National Team to Begin Residency Camp on April 5

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Apr 1, 2004.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=56231

No Ann Cook.
    :(

This lil' tidbit is pretty vague, but the question needs to be asked...after this type of surgery and all goes well with rehab...does she return to 100% after 4-6 weeks or what? Can a bad collision on the field reaggravate this injury? Who do you slide in there to take Fawcett's place? Mitts and Reddick in the middle with Pearce and Sobs on the outside? Works for me.

2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    A lot of no-names here. Notably absent are Hope Solo, Lakeysia Beene, Devvyn Hawkins, Susan Bush, and, of course, Jennifer Grubb.

3. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Question: what do the college players do about their schoolwork? Do they drop out of school for a semester? If so, does that affect their eligibility the following fall? :confused:

4. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    I know someone who has had this surgery and it's scary...I don't think she (Joy) should risk it, that is playing at the National Team level. If Fawcett doesn't come back, how bad is it? I think the US defence is ok (but just) without her. Maybe she is at the residency camp to prep for a coaching position?...Well one can only hope.

5. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus the reason why mia has done nothing surgically about the two herniated disks she has.
    How tough is mia?

6. cynhammfan9

cynhammfan9 New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Marietta Ga
    Tough as f***ing nails, thats how tough!

7. gb0888

gb0888 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Any back surgery is 60-70% UNSUCCESSFUL, no matter how times you have it done!!!!
    Her come back depends on the type of back surgery she 's having.
    I'll speak to her when I see her but cannot give you the basics of the surgery, unless some one else knows all the specifics.
    I guess it's Mackies turn to take care of Joy :)

8. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

and Lorie Fair

9. A Fan

A Fan New Member

Aug 15, 1999
  10. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is my impression that some of the practices will be open to the public. my suggestion to you would be to call HDC and ask for information about when they will be.

11. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    IIRC...they practice at that one field just below the entrances to the stadium and right next to one of the main entrances from the road. There's that soccer shop tucked into the stadium and it's a straight shot from that.

You definately should go and make sure you bring plenty of film (preferably with a big flash) and alot of Sharpies and shove them all in their face. The players LOVE that. I do it all the time!!!!!!!!

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To answer one question, Cat Reddick has taken this spring off from UNC-CH and plans to return after the Olympics and finish up while helping out (but not playing) with the Tarheels next fall.

What is April's fascination with Jenni Branam? Yuck.

13. A Fan

A Fan New Member

Aug 15, 1999

Are you mocking me? ;) I feel as a 20 year old I know how to act in front of National Team players. Although I don't want to recall how I acted back when I was 13.

Susan Bush? I feel like that is name from way back. Didn't she hurt her knee again last year? I thought most of the names were pretty well known on that list. People who have been with the NT for hte past few years or at least the U21s.

14. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    IIRC, the last time they were there, if you called the HDC they told people the practices were closed, but they really weren't. Anybody could and did just walk onto the campus and over to the fields and watch. I know I did. :) Lots of people did. There are fences around the fields, but you can watch through them, of course. Then everybody seems to just know where to line up where they'll come out and the times I was there, they were great about autos and photos.

I'm excited for and about Christie Welsh. I loved watching her play for the Power and she was on her way to team MVP before she got injured. She never got to play again before the end of the season and that was sad.

15. yophilly

yophilly New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Hope Joy get well soon Mitts can play the middle D she has played well in the middle in a lot of games :cool:

16. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    You are correct, Susan Bush has suffered from knee problems for the past 3 years off and on.

17. j&bontherock

it's a full circle for USWNT, last year when we failed to win the gold also had Recidency camp...i hope the result will be better this time..,

18. j&bontherock

April should make Cristie Welch to be a better player and a productive forward, she has all kind of talents, including her strong body which is a good thing for a forward player.

19. Arcangel

Arcangel New Member

Mar 6, 2003

"Why do people always bring Mia's name into a thread for no reason?"

hamm-star, isn't that one of your biggest complaints about other people?

20. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002

21. cynhammfan9

cynhammfan9 New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Marietta Ga
    Mia's name was not brought up for no reason. Hamm- star was simply stating that Mia is playing with the same type of injury that Joy recently had surgery on. If it had been another player suffering from herniated discs I'm sure that players name would have been brought up as well. Take a knee injury for example. If someone says hey, Mac tore her ACL, im sure that another players name would be mentioned because she has the same injury. And guess what, it wouldnt be Mia!!!!! Would you say something then?

22. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not to defend April, God knows that I attack her enough (You take your fun where you can get it when you get to be my age.) however; it is NOT the job of the National coach to develop skills or to teach skills. That is the job of the development system and the clubs.

The job of a National team coach is to choose the talented players from the player pool and take the tallent that exists and mold it into a unit that produces as many wins as possible. It is as simple as that.

If there is not enough tallent then the development system is at fault not the National team coach.

If there are skills missing in a player then the National team coach should inform that player and then it is the PLAYER'S responsibility to fix the weakness. There are several player that have done this and many are now playing at the top level. Abby W. is an example.

We can't blame April for everything. World hunger maybe, but not this.

23. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
  24. j&bontherock

by giving her more opportunity to play or invite her to the camp, her skills will develop.

25. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    any player given the oppertunity to play will experience an improvment in their skills as apposed to innertia in which case no improvment will occure and skills will simply deteriorate.
    but; if the player steps on the feild against players as good or better then she is. then her skills will improve for the experience.
    But; honestly asside from a demonstration occationally. the coach at the WNT level is no longer teaching skills. His/her focus is more toward technical and tactical play. any new learned skills is more then likely to be taught to them by other players on the team.