PBP: U.S. vs. Portugal, Friendly, 11/14/17, 3:45 EST

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Nov 14, 2017.

1. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    So what is your ultimate point wrt moving forward? That Jozy should still be #1 forward? If so, I assume you think MB should continue on as captain and first name on the team sheet because he has load of caps and not a bad goal/assist rate?

Doesn't everything else follow on from there? We just maintain the status quo despite everything that has happened the last 1-2 years?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad you brought it up, 2009! you have to go that far back to make your point?

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No, I just find it distasteful when people focus all their criticism on a couple of guys who gave us some good moments in the past.

We used to call it "respect," back in the day. They're no longer any good, fine. But you still show them the door politely.

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Then I'll remind people that after eight caps Julien Green had already scored in a World Cup. Doesn't mean he should be starting all the time.

If you look at the latest Hex standings, there are four teams worth a dang more than the US. That's why folks are pissed off.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Sports is a ruthless business. It's all about who can help me the most in the next match.

Being polite about Bradley/Nagbe/Howard types is why Clint's window for a 4th WC was shut in his face. But that happens. Sports is unforgiving.

If anything, being polite to the vets off past history is why we're not going to Russia and why this next generation was screwed.

TxEx, Excellency, juveeer and 1 other person repped this.
  6. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Well....if that is what you want to cal its

Me, I see it as more like "Bruce Being Bruce" and doing what he does.

Excellency repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It wasn't a big surprise if you had been following the Galaxy post-Donovan, TBH.

Bruce was obviously left behind by modern tactics. Still, we failed to make it due to an extraordinary combination of circumstances, from a non-existent goal to a long-distance shot Alvin Jones is unlikely to ever repeat in his career.

8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the Soccer Gods made a cruel deal back during the '09 Confed Cup. "Sure, you can get out of the group and we'll even let you beat Spain. You just have to pay us back one day..."

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce didn't employ modern tactics even when he had Beckham and Landon. It was largely conservative long ball, Beckham sitting in deep pockets and whipping long balls forward and Landon pouncing on the occasional counter. Even with Keane/Landon is was similar, bootball and those two would create something a few times per game off their individual skill.

Then they'd sit back in a shell. Ugly stuff.

juveeer repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, the key here it was Beckham being so precise with his long passes that it worked, the team was a different team once he left.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Certainly, but back then quite a lot of teams were doing the ugly thing, with one or two runners up front.

That set of tactics died when rival teams moved their defense lines forward, and at least half of the defenders were fast guys.

All in all, while I wasn't happy with Arena taking over, I don't think we had much choice at that point. We were riding on faith.

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I guess the federation can use highlights of this game for the coming cheesy ads of "One Dream... Qatar!"