U.S. vs. Panama 10/7 (WWCQ) pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Oct 7, 2018.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if CR had drawn, they wouldn't be in great shape.

Hypothetical 1-1 draw:

Costa Rica 1-1-0 4 pts + 8 GD

Jamaica 0-1-1 1 pt. + 1 GD

CR is likely to lose to Canada and Jamaica has the potential to run up the score against Cuba. So they end up tied on 4 points in that case, and CR's GD goes down 2-3 goals and Jamaica turns it on against Cuba. I wouldn't want to be relying on Cuba at -20 goals after 2 matches and eliminated to save my butt.

They really needed to win that match to move forward.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    How do you have Jamaica with aa loss and a draw being +1 in gd? Even with a win they are -1 aren't they?

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made a mistake. I looked at the Concacaf standings wrong (I read -2 as +2). They lost 3-0 to Canada, so a draw would be a hypothetical -3 GD. That's a bit more for them to overcome. So they have to overcome an 11 goal difference. If CR loses by a goal, that's 10 GD. Jamaica plays first, so I would have predicted a very aggressive effort in the 1st match. With Cuba averaging -10 a match, that would be a do-able number to shoot for.

Obviously, now Jamaica just needs to win, which they should against Cuba.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That is not "obvious" at all.
    Should, unlikely as it seems, Costa Rica beats Canada then three teams have 6 points so it comes to goal difference.
    Current the goal differences are:
    Canada +14
    Costa Rica +7
    Jamaica -1
    Cuba -20

Canada is in little danger as both CR and Jamaica would have to close a HUGE GD to catch them.
    If Costa Rica wins they go to a minimum of +8 and Jamaica has to make up 9 goals against Cuba and I do not think that they can score 9. They do not have the ability and conditioning to heap that kind of beating on hapless Cuba.

Admittedly CR is not likely to win against Canada but Canada has little to play for and CR has everything and CR does have skilled players.

I think that Jamaica is most likely to advance as I doubt that CR can beat Canada but Jamaica is not assured of advancement at all. They also play first (I do not know why the third round is not played simultaneously like every other tournament) so they will give CR a target to shoot at.

There is not much doubt but there is some.

blissett repped this.
  5. PG/MD Soccer

PG/MD Soccer New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. PG/MD Soccer

PG/MD Soccer New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Panama gave great effort. I would say that Klingenberg. I way to slow to defend at the hishest levels. France really exposed her a few years back. She was shifty, but a defensive liability.

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    That would require an additional stadium rental.

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They could play both matches at the same time on the same field! That would really be interesting!! ;) :D

Actually I know that is the reason. It just seems so cheap on the part if CONCACAF but that does not surprise me either.

I just shows in what low esteem CONCACAF holds the women.

Of course given the HORRIBLE attendance for this tournament (except for the US matches) it is not at all really surprising that they treat the women as second class. The US fans do the same.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, the horrible attendance is mostly due to CONCACAF as well. Vicious cycle, it is.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the Jamaican players must read BS forums.