U.S. vs. Jamaica 10/14 (WWCQ Semifinal) pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Oct 13, 2018.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't really familiar with the Panama or Jamaica players so I definitely assumed Costa Rica and Mexico(two nations I'm more familiar due to previous appearance at WWC) would be more likely to qualify again. I've kinda become a fan of Bailey now so I think she definitely has created a lot of positive attention for herself and her fellow countrywomen. Obviously that didn't happen for whatever reason, coaching, players or developmental problems who knows. I'm glad that we might potentially see either one or both a Caribbean and another Central American team in the WWC as I'm always excited about debutantes. I think both Wednesday games should be interesting, I'm probably more interested in Jamaica vs Panama than US vs Canada which we've seen over and over again. It might be a tad refreshing to see matches that are finally evenly matched as well.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    This team's about as ready as any I ever saw-- now I'm a little worried about peaking too early, and wish the WWC started next week...

3. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    This current roster can be expanded to 23.
    It's time to bring in Ohai.

4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the WWC started next week and we had these starters, I would be pretty confident going in right about now, we are a hot team currently which is great and worrisome at the same time because you don't want these players going cold all of a sudden.

5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kinda rooting for our 23rd player to be Hallie Mace because of a current Bruin US Soccer crossover storyline but I'm thinking 20 goes to Franch, 21 will go to Davidson, Player 22 will be Allie Long for sure, and 23 will probably be McCall Zerboni. No room for Mace :( :( :( :( :( :( UNLESS........ someone gets injured so Mace could essentially become an alternate?

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have been better in Portland. For both games.

jnielsen repped this.
  7. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Unfortunately, there's always an injury or three and player's forms can change drastically in just a year.

The good news is this team looks much, much better right now than the 2015 squad heading into the final 9 months. We didn't look very good in 2014/15 leading up to the WC and really not until the semifinals. This is the best this team has looked in many years, but there's still definitely room for improvement.

Hopefully, they schedule some quality matches (hopefully away in Europe) early 2019. This is the start of the best part of the cycle coming up. Been waiting for this for the last 3+ years.

McSkillz, socalsoccer23 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically I don't think that expense will be incurred or [probably] paid until June 2018 but point made. I'd say it would go in the commitments footnote of the financial statements for now.

jackdoggy repped this.
  9. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #84 Cannons, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    It was a good game for for about 3 minutes. Canada must be shaking since they only could manage 2 goals against Jamaica and we clearly took our foot off the gas or it could have been far worse. I expect another beat down.

However I am not getting carried away. No team in this tournament is that good compared to other top teams globally. We cannot get complacent. Beating up on these teams doesnt mean much other than we're going to the show. I am still not a Jill fan and think we succeed in spite of her but I do like some things she's done. I still think she needs to tweak a few positions to get a larger roster, of usable players, for a longer tournament. We have some currently on the roster that are not that usable and Jill should keep looking. Im sure Lloyd wasnt happy she didnt get on. Maybe this is her future? Also I do not want to see Pugh rot on Jill's bench. She needs equal time with Heath. There's little difference between them

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have been told that Pugh has been injured and the performances we have see in two of the matches seem to say she is in some kind of recovery process because she was, at best, ineffectual for most of her playing time.

I too want to see her more but if she truly has had an injury that could be aggravated by more play and has reduced her effectiveness when playing then holding her out is probably the best for her and the team.

I think Pugh is our future on the outside of the attack and I think once she gains a little more strength and vision she may be able to play centrally better that any player we currently have. She already has the quick feet a good player in the middle that is not really big and strong needs.

There is no reason to push her into matches during her recovery if the is any chance that will cause further harm.

The US is deep, very deep, and there is no player that is a lot better at any position that others that play the same except maybe Ertz and her backups are quit good she is just better at the defensive (holding) midfield than anyone else and she is still learning that difficult spot.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Has anyone seen or heard anything about the new contracts?

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    What? There is a big difference between Heath and Pugh. Pugh is a young speedster who is still learning how to play the game--she's a bit one-dimensional. Heath is a very savvy veteran who relies on her guile and skills and chemistry with her teammates to succeed. Pugh might be more effective than Heath in an open game against an opponent who is itself is trying to score. But against a team that sits back and is more defensive, like Sweden or others, Heath would be the more effective player, IMO.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    when have we beat down canada?

i know anything can happen including canada winning, but...

i expect a win.

i’m not expecting a beat down.

canada is much better than the other teams we’ve been playing in this tournament.

Dundalk24 repped this.
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So what's up with Eurotrip next month? They were supposed to play in Netherlands and Switzerland but got sidetracked by UEFA qualifying. Anyone heard anything? Id like to see them play Spain and Italy if I had my druthers.

15. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Thank god we’ll see some real opposition Wednesday... These 6-0 games are a false dawn.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I actually think that Canada has slightly weakened over the last year or so and the US has strengthened so I am kind of expecting a mini-blowout, something like 4 or 5 to 0 or 1.

Canada just has not really seemed as good as some of their scores indicated and their defense has seemed suspect.

I actually hope I am wrong and Canada is a bit better than it seems they are to me.

Even if I am right Canada is not like the truly bad teams that have been the rest of CONCACAF so the US will have to actually play in order to win. In the earlier matches the teams have just given up before the game was played and the US could have fielded a look alike team of HS girls and walked over the opposition.

Canada is going to come out fighting and the US women will actually need need to play hard to win and they will need showers after the match. In the earlier matches the teams they played did not even make them sweat.

Kevin625 repped this.
  17. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada seem like a really good team. Didn't they beat one team like 12-0? I don't mean to sound rude in case he's reading this but the new coach that they hired is scary looking and reminds me of the crypt keeper.

18. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no no no. Lots of Euro Hotels want and have gotten the moola up front:D:D:D

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    love ohai, but time to bring in williams or, even better, because she does so many things well, mcdonald.

20. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've watched some of the Canada games in this tournament and they weren't very good from what I've seen.

They only put 2 goals up vs Jamaica and seriously struggled to score against a Panama team that had 5-6 starters on the bench. The score was 0-0 until the 44th minute and the GK they had in there was flat-out terrible (Yenith Bailey didn't play). CAN blew the game open in the 2nd half, but just about every goal was due to very poor GK and there's no doubt Yenith Bailey would have saved most of them. It was an extremely unimpressive 7-0 win.

If CAN plays the way they did against Jamaica or Panama, the USWNT may very well blow them out (4-0 or more) if they play like anything like they have been.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If Ohai wanted to make a new case for one of the last spots she should have played W-league this year. By the time NWSL ramps up again the WC roster is pretty much written in stone.

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    would she leave the jj watt security blanket to go play her trade down under?

doubt it.

23. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The what now?

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Me too but she isn't going to change Ellis' mind going to Texans games. US is loaded at her position so short of injuries...