U.S. vs Cuba (r) Post Game comments

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by ChcgoStingInMyBlood, Jul 8, 2005.

1. ChcgoStingInMyBlood

Jun 15, 2005
    Is there a discussion thread already open about US-Cuba? I couldn't find it.

Well, I for one, was shocked at how poorly the US played at times. The marking was loose in the first half, we didn't really seem to want the loose balls and balls in the air as badly as Cuba, and the finishing was absolutely pathetic, especially Dempsey. He missed at least two sure goals and I watched the replays and I just can't figure out how he missed them. I don't get Dempsey - he seems constantly winded, he misses open shots, and that 'push the ball past the defender and then try to run around him' trick just doesn't work in CONCACAF or anywhere for that matter. Even the goal was not struck properly - he duffed it but got lucky. I suppose he's getting open shots cause he moves without the ball well, but quite frankly, I cannot understand how he is on the USMNT, yet alone getting playing time. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Then Cuba goes down a man and we begin to dominate but still we can't finish, we were lucky to win, really we deserved a draw only. LD had a brilliant goal, then Cuba basically took the rest of the evening off the last two goals were like NBA garbage time.

Dempsey's goal - I don't think he was offside but wasn't the other player on the wing offside? Has the rule been changed?

2. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    The game was even . then last 3mins USA went schoolyard Finishing on cuba .. no one from the usa takes pride in the usa even in tournements, its a shame
    :( even with a few of thier top player and mostly domestic player they can toy around each game

3. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    There's on the US v Cuba game in the US Men News and Analysis section. But it's about 400+ posts deep.

IIRC, the only way the ref would have called offsides on the other player is if he was involved in the play or is the US gained advantage by him being offsides. since Clint was the only one directly involved in that play... no offsides.

Replays showed Clint was on when the ball was played.

4. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA

No pride??? How is that so?

5. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Fans, the people of America, if the tourney was held In mex,guate, honduras, elsalvador,Crc panama the host country would fill that stadium , but the Us fans dont give a flying Fu*K bout ther NT playing

6. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    15,000+ fans on a thursday night for US soccer is pretty good.

I see your point, but in Honduras, Mexico.......etc. Soccer is the #1 sport. Here it is not.

The US soccer fans do care about the US playing. It's just that right now, we are a smaller group than say basketball, football, etc. fans.

7. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    WOW...that was very close, CUB just needed to resist 5 more minutes, that was it

8. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    To be fair, the game was in Seattle, which is tucked in the corner of the northwest. Kinda hard for fans to get there, I think there would have been a bigger turnout if they played in the center of the nation like St. Louis or something. Plus it was Cuba, people aren't going to fly cross country to watch us play a small Caribbean team.

9. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

Yeah, what is sad is that 30% of the attendants were Mexicans who showed up just to look at the Banamex, Telmex banners & watch the spanish language commercials on the big screen monitor.

10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Its cause he thinks he can rap like hes from texas. LOL Anyone see that clip of him trying to rap?

11. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Yeah that is Sad , for the mexicans and the americans, it was a doubleheader so it fair to say that 45% of fans there Were from Costa rica ,35% where Usa, 10 % mexicans who worked for Univison ,2% candian, 3% where paid from texaco to come see the game, and 2 cubans who like soccer :eek: plus there team

12. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nah those two cubans came by mistake thinking it was the cuban national baseball team playing.

13. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it was originally six Cubans but four of them defected before opening kick off.