U.S. vs. Canada 10/17 (WWCQ Final) pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Oct 15, 2018.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #76 luvdagame, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    :)

horan has cut out the trundling (sloth) and silly giveaways in the midfield, and lavelle is twinkletoe good. but ertz disappoints passing forwvard.

final passes and esp. ertz’s inability to combine good/great forward passing with beast mode defending (which she is great at, but it gets overlooked until it goes missing) need work. but final passes will need work the day after the u.s. (any team) wins the world cup.

the question is whether ellis will try mewis or zerboni in ertz’s spot. both make better forward passes consistently, with mewis making some really “wow” dishes on a dime. (neither may be as good defensively, so 6 of one…). ertz repeatedly makes crucial tackles without fouling in key areas. and she does it at international speed.

kernel_thai and jnielsen repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONGRATS LADIES
    DpwXpiKUcAA9FSi.jpg
    No Ryder Cup faux pas here, THAT is how you win for your Country.
    No prima donnas – Just Sports Goddesses.

5 DOWN…..7 TO GO

Sure, we get to add a few spots to the CONCACAF Squad. T. returning and battling Abby for that spot and assuming the best passing left-back in the World continues to serve her lifetime banishment, I don’t see things changing from our starting CONCACAF 11. I think HCJE will use the next 7 months to further build cohesion for the various individual partnerships.
    Buuuuuuuuuut WTHDIK.

Lindsey Horan is in all-out, bad *ss, beast mode – you league fans have been saying this all year. Such a complete player. On the opponent’s goal kicks, she stalks the probable landing zone, moves like a panther after its’ prey then boom…wins the header. It is an absolute joy to watch.

P.S. - Some have mentioned our 2nd goal and the possibility that ATG was offside by one yard and 31 inches. Fear not my little soccer buddies, I replayed the sequence in question many times and with the aid of my Red, White and Blue spectacles I have determined:
    I-see-Nothing-Sergean-Schultz-Hogans-Heroese.jpg
    The incident does have redeeming social value as it will provide additional fodder to drive our Friends to the North to go completely insane. Hehehehehehehehehehe.

Semblance17 and CoachJon repped this.
  3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't think u see Mewis or Zerboni moving up. I think Swanson had Mewis pegged in the 2012 U20 WC. He never started her, favoring DiBernardo instead but in each game Mewis came in off the bench providing vision and that long range passing ability. She made the most of her minutes springing Ohai for the dagger against Nigeria in the semi and Ubagogu for what would have been a similar goal in the waining minutes of the final against Germany if not for a brilliant defensive play. Even tho Mewis has upped her game since then Im not sure that isn't still her best role coming in late for Horan or Ertz who both feature a style that collects knocks and bruises. Add a spot start or two and Mewis easily earns her roster spot.

4. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I love Sgt. Shultz.

Semblance17 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  5. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    You don't watch the league? That is unfortunate. League games are much more entertaining, imo, than watching the WNT beat up on 90% of their tragically overmatched opposition.

6. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I see Tobin and Crystal on opposite Teams, I die a little inside.

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Ellis wants Crystal at left back in her NWSL play and North Carolina won't play her there, maybe Crystal should come to Portland in a trade. Then, she'd be playing behind Tobin and interchanging with her; and she, Tobin, and Lindsay could have a great time!