U.S. v. Japan Redux

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by sregis2, Jul 7, 2015.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric Wynalda said the U.S. won the game at the coin toss because they got to pick which side to start the game on. He said the sun and the shadows created some bad sight lines and glare on the side Japan was on. That's a very lame excuse if you ask me!

Anyone else heard that? Also, what on earth was the Japanese coach's explanation for such an AWFUL performance?

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Well, each team had to deal with defending that end of the field for an entire half.
    How come Japan couldn't take advantage of it then in the 2nd half, as much as the USWNT did in the 1st half?
    The USWNT outscored Japan 4-1 in the first half, and 1-1 in the 2nd half.
    Japan did not outscore the USWNT in either half.

CONCLUSION: USA was and is the better team (and it wasn't even close).

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly don't think sun was a huge factor, but being at the game and seeing how the sun was in the sky, I was hoping that the US would win the toss so that Japan would be looking into the sun in the first half. Yes, there was sun in the second half, but the angle was different. That said, however, the sun did not seem to be a factor on the first three goals, maybe only on the fourth goal and even there I don't know if it made a difference.

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was shocked too on Japan's poor performance. No reasonable explanation was given by their coach or even by the fans of this forum(of which their plenty of supporters have been silent since that game). From their previous games, I was expecting a very smart and patient Japan team out there, that surprisingly dominated Australia in the quarters(the Matildas were about the only other team that had the speed to match the US).
    In the meantime, the US has had difficulty playing Asian teams as in the quarters, China only lost 0-1 & South Korea kept it 0-0 or even look for inspiration at the round 16th game where Colombia kept it 0-0, only loosing when they went one down & had to use their 3rd string gk, but still showing a strong midfield possession game.

Though it's a bit presumptuous to say that all Asian teams play alike, this is what I still expect Japan to do' build a not 4 but 5 back line defense, then about ten yards further ahead, have another 5 line defense set up. You might call this bunker or 'park the bus', but I've seen Asian teams play this with great effect, and Japan did have the speedy lone fwds in either Ogimi or Kawasumi and accurate passing to play this type of game.
    The 5 & 5 defense, helps defend if anybody dribbles through the the 1st line, their going to get immediately surrounded by the next(without much space to pass). Tho two 5 lines also keep the flanks strongly covered, as well enabled to defenders to quickly box out any stationary/target player.
    Instead I had no idea what their coach was trying to do? as this game was basically over within the first 15 minutes. so it's hard to say if the J coach was playing the 5 & 5 defense or just decided to 'hang' with the US? He seemed frustrated though as he took out his most experienced defender in Iwazumi(Name check) and his fastest, Kawasumi, within the first half.

As for Ellis strategy; she knew that Japan was going to use some kind of zone defense, and it was going to be harder to penetrate or isolate the defenders(as they the US game plan often calls for)so her most effecting weapon; just like basketball, if your going against zone, shoot over it! Or in soccer's case, take long shots. This is where I couldn't figure out my fellow Americans posters at this forum, who were calling though out this tournament for Lloyd & Holiday to be benched. Both of them were the 'best in the business' in taking long shots.

But overall; I see this world cup where finally America's love affair with women's soccer(that not seen in most other countries) came out in full force, and that we're always going to continue to produce the most talent of anybody out there.

cpthomas repped this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's not true, US dominated the China match with 2 major players suspended.

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But by the time the 2nd half rolled around the sun had changed position and wasn't in such a bad place anymore. I do agree the USA was still the better team though. It's just that Japan should've put up more of a fight because it was hardly worth watching after the first 10 minutes with the outcome already decided!

7. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hotjam, but they always interview the players and coach after the game so they must've said SOMETHING you know? Anyone know what it was?

It's really surprising because I heard the Japanese coach say a week or so before the final that he wanted revenge for the 2012 Olympic final loss to the USA and was preparing just for that! LOL..some preparation! They must've been hanging their heads in shame going back to Japan! They gotta have SOME explanation for such a pathetic performance especially when their defense was rock solid the entire tournament!

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post-match press conference:

9. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I had expected the USA to win 2-0 or 3-0. I thought they'd score on a set piece but would not do so until after 15 minutes in (given their performances in prior games), thought it would be Johnston who would tally it, thought the USA would pick up another set piece goal shortly before the half and would lock down in the second half, perhaps picking up a late garbage goal by a sub.

Well, where I went awry was expecting US frustration in scoring early, as had been the case throughout the tournament.

The first goal was brilliant, and team work. Brian, perhaps the most important player in the tournament (her insertion into the lineup not only freed Lloyd to wreak havoc up front but also gave Johnston and Sauerbrunn a place to pass the ball after taking it away from opposing attackers), worked hard to get the early corner kick. The collection of forward players charged the net in unison in the right formation. Critically, Klingenberg ran AWAY from the goal towards the right side, drawing the Japanese defender towards her one step - the one critical step that prevented her from knocking away Rapinoe's well-taken low drive corner kick. Last, Lloyd backed way up, made the right long run, did so at tornado speed and wisely used her foot simply to re-direct the ball towards net and allow the power from Rapinoe's kick to do most of the work.

Then, the USA refused to let up, kept pressing for more and went for blood. The second goal was made possible by Heath working hard to draw the foul, by Holiday's nice strike on the free kick and the ubiquitous flick by Johnston, who seems to be a magnet for balls on set pieces. Lloyd got the goal by tapping in to score what I used to call a "garbage goal" on those rare occasions where I scored in high school soccer. But, garbage goals count.

Holiday's strike was brilliant, even if the header was a foul-up gift.

Lloyd's goal was a "can you believe this is happening?" moment. As a former keeper, had I seen her strike it from there, I would have turned and sprinted to the goal and would have been able to deflect it. That was Kaihuri's real error, as she could have stopped that shot. Backpedaling cost her dearly.

Still, give Lloyd credit. Her dribble and circumvention of the Japanese midfielder, putting Lloyd at full sprint while crossing midfield, was stellar. Her game sense in seeing that she could strike then was keen. Her blast was formidable. And, it was a goal from over twice the longest distance of any goal ever scored in a men's WC final (Gerson in 1970, if you are wondering).

As an American, I am grateful for the early blow-out. It let me watch the final without stress - all the more rewarding after 2011!

BlueCrimson and cpthomas repped this.