Post-match: U.S. v. Barbados, 6/22/08 (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by flux82, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Wait a minute .... people have playbooks? :rolleyes:

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go back and read this entire thread later, but...

That was pathetic.

I don't care what meaning the game holds, but when you put on the US National Team jersey, you better damn care what you're doing.

The only ones who approached this game with a professional attitude and showed it on the field were: Eddie Lewis and Danny Szetela. The rest, eh.

I knew Beasley was not going to do one thing when I saw him during the playing of our National Anthem. In every game, our players have always been focused, solemn or singing during our anthem, looking at the flag. This game, Beaz was not looking at the flag, he was winking at the camera. I knew he didn't care about this game or his performance. Someone on another thread wondered why Beaz wasn't the captain, given all he's done for the National Team - there's your answer. He's just doesn't step up and lead.

You would think these players would have wanted to seize this opportunity to make a statement that they belonged. But they know they don't have to; they've been babied and patted and coddled and told they're the greatest thing since sliced bread and they know it's just going to be handed to them.

People think Freddy is ready to run the National Team? You need to think again. He had a couple of nice moments in the first half and that was it. His through ball to Lewis was good vision, but it was lucky to even get through. and he had one nice run. He was slow to release the ball and slow to run the attack. This was his chance to step up and make a statement....and he didn't do it. Not just him, though. The whole team.

No one clothed themselves in glory. You can make excuses that it was a meaningless game, which it was. Except it shouldn't have been meaningless to the players.

I haven't read through this thread, so maybe players are getting roasted here. But I do know that if some other players had performed this way (namely, Dempsey, Donovan, EJ), there would be multiple threads vilifying those guys.

3. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    to be fair, I dont think the guy was offside at all... and their tall striker had a chance earlier that was unfairly called offside as well

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, from what I understand it is a strange rule, and not in effect during qualifiers.

I have had trouble actually finding it too, but it was mentioned by one of the journalist's sites(Ives??) awhile back.

Plus I was able to find articles quoting Blatter saying he hopes teams will release their overage players even though they do not have to, implying they do for U23s.

The thought is that age group championships are FIFA dates for that age.

I may need to start a thread in YNTs to confirm....

5. gtmachi

gtmachi New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    My point is the linesman didn't call offside immediately, and it was so close to not being offside, that i don't see how in hindsight he went back on his initial judgement. I mean I get if a guy is blatantly offside and the linesman doesn't raise the flag immediately because it is so obvious. but on anything close, the linesman better damn well raise the flag the second the ball is played.

I really think the officials just didn't like the way that goal went in and changed their minds. That was an incredibly late whistle and decision.

6. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as long as we're living in this what could have been world, the US should be awarded another goal on account of the Demarcus Beasley run, that was wrongfully called offside, which would have put him one on one with the keeper. Final score in your hypothetical world: USA 2 - Barbados 1

7. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had a job were people were this easily pleased. It must be nice to have a job where beating Barbados 1-0 is good. I think I might apply for the USMNT coach next time around. I could take a nice no stress job.

Get a life people. This isn't what we should expect or accept. I don't care about the 8-0 lead. This is the kind of thing the rest of the world sees and laughs at.

8. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but it is Beasley we are talking about. I don't know about your hypothetical world, but in mine Beasley still sucks and would have sent the ball 20 yards over the cross bar.

9. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess almost counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and offsides. I didn't realize this. Thanks for the insight.

10. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repp'd.

Wow, an actual post about players who actually played in the game. Didn't you get the memo about limiting comments to Bob Bradley? ;)

As to the last sentance, which I bolded. Since Adu, Klejstan, and Szetela started the game as numerous posters have been calling for for ages, critiquing the players would have forced some less-than-glorious assessments of these young players, which would go against the current conventional wisdom on BS that Bradley isn't featuring the U23's enough. How many posts have we had lately about how blind Bradley is to Adu's electric brilliance as the obvious best US playmaker and to Klejstan's subtile skill and vision.

Russia's 24-27 year olds were brilliant this week, so the US really needs to feature its U20's and U23's much more. :rolleyes:

4 of the 6 starting offensive players could be starting at the Olympics, which may be a cause for some concern, especially if 30-something Lewis was the best of the lot.

And don't get me wrong that I'm hating Adu and Klejstan. Absolutely not. I think Adu will become the US Valderrama and start for the 2010 Cup team. I think Klejstan will beat out Feilhaber for a roster spot in 2010. I think Szetela should be on the Olympic team. But Adu is 19 years old, Klejstan is 22 years old, and Szetela is 21 years old. These guys are very young newbie professionals and will continue to be frustratingly inconsistent as international players for many years to come.

11. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Exactly. What happens to a CEO whose share price goes up, yet underperforms its peer index? Or whose return on equity and assets is lower than his competitors? He gets replaced.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    An amazingly funny, though probably accidently, self-referential post.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I thought he flagged it when the guy who was offside actually got the ball, as per the newer rule interpetation. There were two other guys who were even, and I assume he would not have flagged it if one of them had gotten the ball...

But then again that was the AR who blew the call on DMB.:eek:

14. USAfan101

USAfan101 Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Olathe, Kansas
    First, and unrelated...CHAD, your Avatar is Hiilarious...LMAO everytime I see it.

Second, like it or not USSF/Gullati is going to ride B Bradley all the way thru WC2010...his future employment will be based on the result of that Tournament and nothing else so calling for his head(justified or not) is futile.

Thirdly, while I was watching,(yes, I watched the whole thing - sic), I was thinking about how close the squad we saw yesterday would be to the Olympic Squad we will be seeing in China..perhaps this was a test for them(benefit of doubt) as much as it was for qualifying.

Finally, I would love to see Guus Hiddink in our future but he is going to be too hot for us(U.S.) to get so I suggest that perhaps Ruud Gullit might be a good option as by that time he will have had a couple of years in country.

thoughts?

15. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Why no forwards in the games?

16. USAfan101

USAfan101 Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Olathe, Kansas
    Scott e...good question...to which I have no answer.

Stupidity, missed opportunity?

17. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a ridiculous strawman.

Nobody was calling for them to start in a forward-less lineup while being instructed to play it safe against a side that they should dominate. Did you read Bradley's comments about how he prepared them to try to withstand the aggressive Barbados side? They were put in an impossible situation by a cowardly and unqualified manager.

18. jonspider

jonspider Member

Mar 9, 2005
    South Carolina
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took only two things from this match:

ESPN and Cricket Ovals don't mesh.

It might be time for Kljestan to shave off that dodgy moustache.

Disclaimer - I didn't actually see him this game due to the grade F broadcast, even still - it is about all I got.

19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping for his sake it's a space creature, like in Spiderman 3.

20. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Why does this matter?

21. GASoccer81

GASoccer81 Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Naw, he gets a Bonus and Stock options. Then he fires 20% of the work force, Increases profits the next year, cashes in his stock options and retires becomes a consultant and Gets $100,000 a speech.:rolleyes:

22. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    freddy showed he's gonna be useful when the matches really count...

his ability to shield the ball and handle contact is far better, his time in benfica is paying off...

califf and demerit were fine, nothing more again showed they are capable, but not better than the current starters...

guys got international time, played in a windy sauna, and did a professional job...

that's what pros do...expend enough to get by...

expend more when you have to do so

23. JBHuk

JBHuk New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Maybe it's just me, but the ever-present "Freddy holds the ball too long" comment makes me laugh. I don't think "The Fred" holds the the ball long enough! The guy's a mid-field playmaker. He needs to hold the ball and hit runners (like he did on the pass to Lewis), or make runs at people then dish the ball.
    If you've been watching Euro 2008, think Modric from Croatia or Asharvin from Russia. Those cats live on the ball and run the show..... like a great pointguard in basketball. I doubt Bilic or Hiddink tell those two to "keep it moving....." (i.e. get rid of it) like it seems clear Bradley has, sadly, instructed the Fred.

24. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I see your point, it's a good one, these are the kind of things that Freddy needs to work out & why he needs the time.

25. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i suspect tropical weather minimizes the number of off the ball runs being made, meaning adu's passing options weren't all that great...

kid has a good game, and he still gets the haters after him