PBP: U.S. U17s vs. England, QF Round, 10/21/17, 10:30 a.m. ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 17, 2017.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, England it is. Should be a very good game! We can use this thread for pre-match buildup as well as PBP.

kennytt repped this.
  2. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    at least sancho isnt playing. kid is electric.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good test for the USA. Hopefully we are ready for it.

4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've done well against England in friendlies, hope we can play them the same in an official game.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched some of England's matches today. Their CAM, RW, CF, #8 are their danger players. The RW is incredibly tricky, smart player, gotta be aware of him at all times. Gloster will have to be on his game, but he's capable. Whoever plays the #6 and #8 positions for us will need to have good games to neutralize Oakley-Boothe and Gomes. Our RB doesn't have the biggest test, I wasn't impressed by Hudson-Odoi. CB's gotta be aware of Brewsters's pace, thats pretty much all he brings though, so don't get beat in behind.

Their defense looked rather average though, IMO. The RCB was solid, the others were not so much. The passing out of the back was not very good, most of their defenders seemed to be athletes.

If our #6 and #8 are on their game, we'll win. If not, England's going to have all of the ball, and we'll have to play a counter game.

6. FC Radar USA

FC Radar USA Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Question is Goslin out for England game with the second yellow card?

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Soccer Gods, I don't ask for much, but after what you did to us last week... can you please, please offer us some consolation and let us win this game. I'd absolutely love putting one past England no matter what the age level. And let's try and for once get past the quarterfinal level... we almost always seem to get to the quarters and then out after so much promise... let's at least get to the semifinals and maybe even medal for once... :notworthy:

TOAzer, Mr Martin, derek750 and 12 others repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's suspended.

Sands and Sargent are now on yellows, they will be suspended with their next yellow.

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I understand the sentiment, but what's been done to us in the past we've done to ourselves.

New generation, new mindset. Let's do it!

russ repped this.
  10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a stupid rule.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    USA-ENG from Dec. 2015:

USA: 1-Alex Budnik, 2-Bryan Perez, 3-Kelee Cornfield-Saunders, 4-Jaylin Lindsey, 5-Ray McGann (capt.) (17-Ayo Akinola; 41), 6-Chris Durkin, 7-Timothy Weah (19-Tonny Temple, 61); 8-Chris Goslin (20-James Sands, 75); 9-Joshua Sargent, 10-George Acosta (13-Adrian Villegas, 61); 11-Andrew Carleton,
    Subs not used: 12-Justin Garces, 13-Adrian Villegas, 14-Arturo Wasquez, 15-Jake Arteaga, 16-Blaine Ferri, 18-Chandler Vaughn
    Head coach: John Hackworth

ENG: 1-Thomas McGill, 2-Marc Guehi, 3-Ryan Sessegnon, 4-Tashan Oakley Booth (14-Oliver Skipp, 72); 5-Jonathan Panzo, 6-Colin Rosler, 8-Nya Kirby (20-Ian Carlo Poveda, 60); 9-Daniel Loader, 10-Angel Gomes (capt.), 11-Jadon Sancho, 15-Timothy Eyoma
    Subs not used: 7-Emile Smith Rowe, 12-Steven Sessegnon, 13-Curtis Anderson, 16-Zech Medley, 17-Phil Foden, 18-George McEachran, 19-Austin Samuels
    Head coach: Dan Micciche
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...mnt-falls-short-in-a-3-2-loss-against-england

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I guess so, but it will also affect the teams that we play against too.... it's not like the rule in only for us...

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it was a not a Yanks Yellow Card rule, but it's still stupid.

14. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England's #9 seems like a bit of a punk. That said with a good tournament, he stands to earn millions. ;)

I'll see myself out.

15. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Watched the game today... England looked good early but faded in the second half. Heat I think. Id say the last 15 to 20 was mostly Japan and they had multple chances to win but didnt put it in..On Defense, Japan packed it in and turned away everything England threw at them. England couldnt break down a bunkered defense

Im not sure which side I'd rather face. England was faster and very good ball control, Japan was also technical and very organized. IDK which we'd do better against? In the end I decided Id rather face England. If our defense can hold, they may not be used to actually have somebody attack them. Japan was having success at the end so theyre not supermen. It will be a hard game and I'm giving us the edge since England has to be affected after going to PKs against Japan...being heavily favored to win

jjmack repped this.
  16. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I would feel much better about this game if MLS had Pro/Rel.

TOAzer, kumuyc, TxEx and 17 others repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pro: I'm guessing we've improved more than they have since last we met

Con: I would bet they are deeper and we have some people out on cards/injury.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Probably the toughest opponent we've had so far. Frankly they match up well to us except in chance creation. The question will be if we can find the space to counterattack. If so, we have a good chance.

19. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any time England loses in tournaments is a great day!

W.A.S.P., Gacm32 and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  20. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Classic

21. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would feel much better with the team fielded against Trinidad...

Too soon...

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You watched some of the games already? Dude when do you work? :)

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they get scared and play counter after watching our Paraguay highlight film

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was watching it on my phone during work lol, but I was only able to see the first half.

LouisZ repped this.
  25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You better go back and check the quality of that work. Who can watch a soccer game AND do quality work unless your job is 'watching' grass grow or paint dry.