U.S. Soccer's player development plans

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lunatica, Dec 8, 2014.

1. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    yes, that's what i'm saying and that's what the article is saying.

I'd rather have Hamm, Foudy, Lilly, Akers etc involved than April. And they would do a better job.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about bumping an old thread, but some big news on development was leaked earlier this week: There will be a girls' Development Academy, beginning by fall 2017, although an official announcement from USSF hasn't happened yet. What we know so far:

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/ecnl-seeks-balance-with-ussf-in-future_aid38750

http://www.soccerwire.com/blog-post...ew-girls-development-academy-bar-school-play/

And this tweet confirms the rumor that girls in the DA will not be allowed to play HS soccer (like the boys' DA):

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Absurd in my opinion. There is so much more to playing HS sports than how it helps ur development.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The 2 that didn't play HS soccer are Rapinoe and JJ.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you've got two blogs and a tweet, and that determines "what [you] know"? It may be true, but it may not. If you take two blogs and a tweet as representing the truth, we're in big trouble!

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Johnston was the trainer for her HS team so at least she got to hang out with her friends.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "what we know" was more to refer to the DA news in general and less so the high school play part, but looking back, I realize that was poorly constructed as both links had to do with the high school part. I'm more than happy to go with the high school part being a rumor and not take the tweet as confirmation (although it comes from an ODP coach and journalist, which makes it more credible to me), but also to say that I don't find it far-fetched as that's exactly what the Boys' DA does.

As for the Girls' DA, yes, we know it. It is not a rumor. USSF voted to approve it in December (go back and look at the December board minutes); its just that the official announcement has been delayed a bit.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  8. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Any chance moving to a girls DA brings the absurd price of elite girls soccer down?

kernel_thai repped this.
  9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if this is to keep the players from regressing (i.e., being taught bad technique or strategy) versus helping in their development.
    However, now that I think about it, it's probably so that the players get the rest they need between matches and training (i.e., by following a better training regiment, rather than allowing the student-athletes to burn out by being active on too many teams).

11. ziggy1010

ziggy1010 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Nice article. It had a couple quotes I had not heard before from A. Heinrichs. First: "They’re still going to have that choice [to play high school] if they want to, but girls that want to play on a college track aren’t going to be able to do that." Second: “The [academy] games will be scouted by U.S. Soccer and the program will serve as a pathway to U.S. Soccer's Youth National Teams.” She also indicated that 80-90% of youth national team players will now come from U.S. Soccer’s internal system.

How can she possibly say that anyone who chooses to play HS isn't going to be able to play in college? Isn't that up to the college coaches? Or is she speculating that top colleges will only want DA players -- kind of like an amped up version of what exists now where players that are selected for a YNT (and the system now is not a lot of pool turnover) are somehow deemed to be the best players and recruited first by the top colleges at ages of 14 or 15 or even younger. The second seems like an attempt to signal to players that if you want to be part of the NT system, by far the best chance is by being part of the DA. Thus they are hoping to aggregate more of the top players and give them better coaching than what has happened with ECNL and presumably making it easier to be seen more regularly and easier for US Soccer to scout and track players. As I think the article concludes, just let the players decide like they do now and don't somehow penalize a player that chooses to play HS. Only the player knows whether playing HS will be beneficial to them and I don't see why it's in US Soccer interest to effectively eliminate players from the pool. I can see the frustration with so many youth soccer organizations (ECNL, USYSA, etc.). But think a better use of resources would have been to build up or strengthen the scouting system.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Gee, if this had started last year and Pugh picked HS over DA club then she wouldnt be going to UCLA or starting on the NT. :ROFLMAO:

13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    MiLLeNNiuM, Namdynamo and sXeWesley repped this.
  14. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy sh!t. This is massive. I was willing to settle for slighlty less expensive than ECNL.

If the Galaxy are going with free, the other MLS affiliates would have to follow suit at least...right?

15. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    and then there's this:

Namdynamo and sXeWesley repped this.
  16. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah seems pretty clear they would want to have an NWSL team if they are making their academy free.

And if the Galaxy, without an NWSL team are going to have a free academy, then the Thorns, far and away the most popular and best supported NWSL team must make their academy free, right?

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, assuming the other clubs are willing to give up the subsidies they are receiving from the Thorns. The Thorns, in fact, do have an academy, which I believe is not free to everyone. They have scholarships, I believe, but I don't know anything about them.

18. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The existing "Thorns Academy" is not at all free, it is very much another pay to play revenue generator and is an academy in name only. It is really just an extension of some of their affiliate teams, it's also only for high school age players. They don't really have scholarships, at least nothing different than your usual run of the mill club. Moreover, it is pretty dreadful currently in terms of coaching, resources, talent and results. Between the 2 ECNL clubs and some other strong clubs in various age groups, whatever talent there is in Oregon is spread around all over the place.

A truly well run, free or at least much less expensive than ECNL, option in the area could bring some much needed sanity and consolidation to our area.

19. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious where you get your information. Can you give me a link to something specific and detailed? I'm asking because I'm aware of a combo DA effort, as part of the USFS DA program, between FC Portland and Northeast United. And, it's for younger players than you're mentioning. Plus, I'm aware of Thorns Academy teams that are younger than "high school age players." I know a bunch of players who have participated in it. I'm posting about girls only. I have no idea about the boys.

20. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My information comes from coaching local teams and having 4 children of my own that all play. So between my own children, clubs I have coached for and players and parents I know I am pretty familiar with all the programs in our area. There is no Thorns DA for girls below U16, that is an unequivocal fact. Heck, they only added the U16's this season, last season they had only just created a U18 team. That is all spelled out in these specific and detailed links. Basically when they were turned down by ECNL and two other local clubs got in, they hastily threw together an "Academy Team" to try and compete.

http://portland-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/elfinderimages/ThornsAcademyDocument2016-17.pdf
    http://www.timbersalliance.com/doclib/Portland Thorns Academy.docx.pdf

You can only possibly be talking about the ODP and RTC programs and those definitly are not the Thorns or Timbers Academy in any sense, it is just the same ODP system that has always been around in every state. It has all been branded with the Timbers and Thorns logos, but those kids come from any and all local club teams and getting into an RTC just requires being able to dribble without falling over and writing a $400 check, absolutely not any sort of academy.

Here are the specific links for that:
    http://www.timbers.com/youth/regional-training-centers
    http://portland-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/elfinderimages/2016-17GirlsODPInformation.pdf

The ODP teams also have not been getting all the best players, because many were with competing clubs that were ECNL affiliated and used their ID2 program instead.

Obligatory link to ID2: http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/?p=3589

The rest of what you are talking about is muddled through no fault of your own, because our Oregon soccer scene is a mess. First off boys and girls are entirely different and even though you said you are posting about girls only and have no idea about the boys, that is confusing because the program you said you are involved in between FC PDX and NEU is absolutely boys only and has nothing at all to do with girls.

This is what you are talking about right? http://www.fcportland.org/FCPNEU
    That is just this brand new U12 league for boys only and pretty much every decent boys club in the area got "in" and is fielding a team. In reality they just took the boys u12 premier division in OYSA and changed the name. It is just supposed to help the Timbers DA team scout better.

Here is their schedule: http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standings/regevent/index.php?containerId=MTYyNzU4NQ==&partialGames=1

It is just the same local teams playing each other, just like they did last year. Anyway this already got really long and we didn't even touch on the actual clubs that have ECNL right now, FC PDX and Crossfire Oregon, where a lot of the best girls players are, I am sure no one but us needed all this Oregon minutuae, as every local area has all their own politics to deal with.

Hopefully though this scratching of the surface into the nightmare landscape of "elite" youth soccer and the expensive and dizzying array of acronymns and options that are colluding to produce some pretty crap players overall, is helpful to you and at least a couple other people. A free, or at least lower cost option in a real development focused environment, for girls and at the younger ages, would be a breath of fresh air.

chungachanga, Namdynamo and Caversham repped this.
  21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, sXeWesley, that actually was helpful and I was mixing up some different things (not intentionally).

sXeWesley repped this.
  22. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy do I share your frustration sXeWesley.

Here are the league options I theoretically had to choose for my kid (girls) this Fall.

USYS
    National League
    Region III Premier League
    Southern Premier League
    State Classic League
    Prime
    Challenger
    Alpha
    D2
    D3

US Club
    *2017 US GDA
    ECNL
    Texas Champions League
    USC Champions League
    USC West Division

13 different league levels (14 next season)

We also have the ODP, Id2 dynamic here, not to mention the 150+ team club monopoly in my local city.

And costs have tripled in 4 years, all with no improvement in customer service, performance, scheduling, etc.

23. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dislike how she so matter of factly dismisses ECNL. Never met her, but her public persona is very arrogant. She's like "ECNL is so great! But no way I'd ever have my child play in that pathetic league." Real team player there.