Alert: U.S. Soccer has extended Klinsmann's contract to 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by orcrist, Dec 12, 2013.

1. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree it has been a streak of bad results, no one can argue that.

Are you willing to acknowledge, as Mexico clearly showed recently, and Nigeria has shown numerous times, that success at the youth levels does not automatically translate to the senior side?

IMO, what we need to be more concerned with than results, is whether the youth teams can move up 2-4 solid players to the senior national team, because for the rest of the players, it does not matter whether they won the youth WC or not, they will never affect a US senior side.

And obviously it is a bit too early to tell whether the recent string of bad results will result in a couple of good players moving up the ladder or not.

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I care greatly about the World Cup. I care greatly about the youth system as a whole. I don't think FIFA youth tournaments are an accurate example of our youth setup.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  3. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    I think the majority agree that, in general, 2-cycle coaches is a bad idea, never mind 3 as Bruce wanted.

I suspect the majority also agrees there are occasional exceptions - for example, Germany begged Klinsmann to stick around for a second cycle but he declined, opening door for Low who is going 2 cycles + - they extended him to 2016 I think.

So...world no 2 Germany is not afraid to re-appoint a coach and extend contract prior to World Cup. Albeit I suspect majority of German fans would also agree that in general it is a bad idea/risky move. While also agreeing there are exceptions to the n0-2-cycle coach principle.

As to the price tag, what was USSF annual income pre-Klinsmann, and what it is it now. Case closed.

IF Klinsmann's USMNT totally tanks/pulls a 1998 France Cup fiasco of disarray, obviously the extension was a mistake.

Otherwise, it's a smart hedging strategy. I suspect most German fans would agree ; )

CTS26 and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Lets just hope Donovan doesn't sleep with Clint's wife!

CTS26 and futbal4eva repped this.
  5. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    N&A?

CTS26 and OGx3 repped this.
  6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Even if some incredibly unlikely drama forced JK to not use either or both of two of his biggest/brightest offensive stars, JK does have the luxury of and has helped foster some improved quality depth. There'd be hypothetical hope that Bradley, with some contributions from players like Altidore and Zusi and Mixx and AJ and FJ, could still guide and play the team to the second round (assuming some solid defensive performances -- which may be asking too much).

(Not that any of that means that US Soccer was necessarily right or wrong in extending JK's contract at this point. I tend to think they could have waited, but I also assume they have some decent reasoning for acting now.)

7. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    #407 OGx3, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks for posting. I'd never seen the Project2010 report before. I'm only up to page 2 but I have already learned that the USA MNT winning the WC is a heavier lift than getting a man to the moon.

Alright Jurgen (and everyone else), let's get to work.

~OGx3

(1961 till moon landing = 8 years
    Isn't that about two cycles?)

8. Socrates76

Socrates76 New Member

Dec 20, 2013
  9. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    • "This is not about one game or one lineup. It’s about the fact that too many American players, too many American coaches and too many American fans don’t get it. This a tough, highly professional game they play at the World Cup. It isn’t about recreation or hard work of trying to do your best. It’s a life or death professional sports business. That’s a far cry from American Soccer."
    • "If American soccer is to take the next step, it has to demolish several myths. First, the US National Team needs the best available leadership, not a coach who happens to be American. Second, US Soccer’s ambitious plan to build toward 2010 will not work unless the US coaching staff is radically overhauled. If you don’t win, you need to be replaced. This isn’t a picnic game that is followed by a cocktail party. Forget about blame, think about change."

10. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the signing was to show that they're keeping Jurgen no matter how we perform at this WC. With a draw like this, we can't fault Klinsmann if we don't make it out of the group stage. If we got a more favorable draw in which we had a better chance of advancing, I don't think they would've resigned Klinsmann until after the world cup.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    beamish and deuteronomy repped this.
  12. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He sounded pretty peeved at the questions.

At the end of the day, JK is 100% backed by Sunil, and any questioning his decisions is questioning Sunil.

If JK Fails, it falls on Sunil too...but he's going no where if JK drops the ball...