U-23 camp - October 2019 - Miami

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by bshredder, Oct 2, 2019.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know. I kind of doubt it. But that’s just a guess

I think he’s primarily seen as a U-20 player for Tab this 2021 cycle.

2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My take on the word professional is that he signed a contract and gets paid to play ball.... but whatever. I have high hopes for both of them. Both could see 1st team action by the end of the season. <fingers-crossed>

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's 16 names not on the U-23 roster, and Keaton Parks doesn't even rate a mention?
    Was that an oversight or does Parks really not belong among the top 41 (16 + the 25 roster) U-23s?
    Dude is starting and playing well for one of the two best teams in MLS and looks quite smooth doing so, not sure he should go in the Gedion Zelalem / Derrick Jones pile just quite yet...

Eighteen Alpha and Thundering165 repped this.
  4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two possibilities: Either he still hurt and/or NYCFC didn't release him.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    MLS clubs have same right to deny a release that Euro clubs do.

When we look at the players who haven't been released from MLS, they are all on teams right on the playoff borderline. Should they make the playoffs, they'll definitely be playing the first round game on October 19. Only days after U23 game against El Salvador on the 15th. [Araujo and the Galaxy will also be playing on the 19th. So if he wasn't released, it certainly wouldn't surprise me.]

If one of these clubs (FCD, Portland, etc.) is eliminated tomorrow, I won't be surprised if their players are added to this camp.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  6. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I don’t know about Lewis being better than Llanez, but no doubt he’s better than Reyna.

I’m pumped to see Reyna this month at the U17 WC but it’s crazy to me how overhyped he is. He’s got clear flaws even at the U17 level and he has a ton of work to do. He’s a top prospect but talking about him as an Olympic player is just crazy.

7. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ebobisse wasn’t completely denied a release. Portland was willing to let him go for the first 3-4 days of camp (but would miss the El Salvador game). Kreis said it wasn’t worth it

TarHeels17 repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know there was a game during this window (is it unaired again?) I just thought it was another training camp. This way will have much more utility.

---------------Toye--------
    --------Soto---------Lewis
    Gloster--Dotson--Ledezma--Duncan
    ------Glad--Robinson--Richards
    ---------------Freese-------

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's not. He's already reportedly stood out for the u-23's in a training camp and didn't look out of place w/ Dortmund's 1st team in preseason. He's a man-child and technical monster w/ footballing instincts. He's impressed w/ the Dortmund u-19's but seems to be taking a back seat to Moukoko in terms of scoring. Has been more involved in the build-up and unselfish. This is important to development because he was always looking for his own until recently. Shows he can play different ways.

frankburgers and USSoccerNova repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. When I started to keep track of Gio (U15) I saw him trying to take over games and end up looking too selfish. I'm glad he is starting to be a complete player.

11. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd Novakovich and Sabbi are left out, neither are on a tear but provide skillsets I think this roster is missing. I think Nova turned 23 his year but I could be wrong. Im not going to scream about them missing it, but I do think they provide more quality than some that were called in. Maybe next camp.

12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Nova is too old for this cycle

manfromgallifrey91 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I think Mendez should be understood as a player who could be really special if he can up his defensive mettle, and play the full '90. He generated more chances, and put more balls more or less on frame, or off the post or cross bar than anyone I've really ever seen in a tournament of any sort. I don't think I've ever seen anyone create so much danger w/o actually scoring in a single game. I get the concerns, doesn't seem to have a ton of pace, his defending is so bad, or was, that he's a key reason along with Durkin for why we didn't either make the semifinals or at least force the QF to extra time. However, he has ridiculous skill. You can't teach what he brings in terms of his vision for passing and shots outside the box to be taken (his tour de force on blown free kicks against Qatar was an unparalleled horror show, he seemed much more accurate in the flow of the game, then with set pieces). That's why he's worth it.

He could easily miss, his liabilities are huge (stamina, defending, pace), but his skill is absurd. I would call him into any camp including the senior team (before the spit take: we are calling in guys like Baird, Lovitz, Trapp etc, if we're calling in them, we can justify calling in literally anyone).

14. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here’s a little 411

Kreis is trying to add Trusty to the roster. He’s asking Philly for his release as a late addition to the U-23 October roster

I’m wondering if he’s doing this because Miles is going to get added to the full team because of the injury which forced Zimmerman out of LAFC’s game today.

I don’t have any inside info on that or the severity of Zimmerman’s injury but if Berhalter had to replace a centerback on this roster, either Omar Gonzalez or Miles would likely get the call

my educated guess is that Trusty joins the U-23 team and Miles moves to the USMNT

gogorath, eneste, Dirt McGirt and 7 others repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josmer also went down with an injury, and if Ebobisse were actually part of this camp I'd expect a promotion to the senior team too, but in this case he'd just go there straight away. But Gregg could just end up plugging in Morris and Baird up top.

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Technically they do, but on a moral level they don't. MLS is supported by USSF/SUM, it was created to help develop the USMNT. MLS teams should always release healthy players.

Further, from a business stand point. Young players should be released to help their development. Young players should be developed and sold on to a higher level.

Portland have barely ever even had an American on their team, Ebobisse is maybe the first young American they have developed (almost by accident), and by not releasing him they are harming his development. Not the first time, as they spent all off season looking for foreign players to take his job. He has more overcome the team than the team has developed him.

Most MLS teams just don't have any idea how to develop and sell on players. You are seeing it again everywhere. Not just not releasing players for YNT camps, but holding on to HG players too long as usual.

** Tangent alert **

Pomykal looks to be another Acosta for FCD. For all the hype FCD gets for playing kids, they have never sold anyone to Europe they brought through their first team. They botched Acosta and waited too long. Pomykal might never have the value he had this Summer again for them. With Hunt in the press saying they want to hold on to all their HGs and field an 11 with them, it just shows a complete lack of understanding. You have to sell to make room for the next wave. RSL did this, just kept everyone at the MLS and USL level, and then their best prospects left for free for smart reasons.

You have to get rid of Dax so you can play Tyler. You have to move Tyler at peak value and then play Casseras.

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's a running tally of U23 callups, which I count at 60 plus three asterisks. Obviously there are other eligible players of note who haven't been called up for various reasons.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zxurBh6g_Z5mIqWXUb6k7_rHxUnDstOKqTyLgnErln4/edit?usp=sharing

Maybe Hamalainen should have an asterisk too (since he needs to file a switch and hasn't) but anyway...

Nobody has been called in all four times. These guys have three callups:

Herrera Aaron
    Lennon Brooks
    Mihailovic Djordje
    Saucedo Sebastian
    Trusty Auston​

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really bad to expect MLS teams to sell players in the middle of their season. Their primary role shouldn't be to serve the domestic national team and bigger Euro league interests. It's to win. The other objectives are secondary. That's true of the lowland leagues too.

Fine, produce some gripe if they don't sell after their season. Although in Pomykal's case it would be defensible not to sell him after one partial year of production. If he stagnates that quickly it's part on his lack of professionalism. Thankfully he seems to have a motor. Unfortunately that may have led to nagging injuries. Which if that derailed his career a bit is not on FCD. Prospective incoming clubs would consider that too in their offers.

don Lamb repped this.
  20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks that Duncan was excluded. His stock was rising.

I think Perez is probably a poor alternative. Araujo should have gotten the call. He already impressed in their Euro trip. But Kreis may have offered while LAG/Kleiban declined, even though Julian hasn't played a lot recently. They love being pricks.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. OneGoodKnee

OneGoodKnee Member

Jun 5, 2003
    SLC, UT
  22. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Always glad to see Perez. I don't think he's a better player than Araujo necessarily, but he's still plenty good and of all the former U20 guys he has the best delivery on crosses or cutbacks. He's also well suited to playing an overlapping RB because he excels and getting down the wing to the end line. He's not so great cutting inside due to a weak left foot.

The interesting thing to me is that he plays RW for NCFC because the RB spot has been locked down by a U23 eligible player, DJ Taylor. Taylor is a better defender although not as good going forward.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Kleibans have a lot of influence with Galaxy players, not only due to Gary being the agent of some, but Brian being their academy coach. The latter applied to Araujo.

What's fun is you posted that like 5 minutes after I made that comment, and your last was a few months ago defending Kleiban to Sciaretta.

Pretty evident you have a relationship, personal or business, w/ the Kleibans.

USSoccerNova and Stupid_American repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He was likely called in instead of Araujo or one or two other options because he can attend, not because he was the best alternative. It’s likely the same reasoning for Trusty.

25. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i really like araujo, but am i wrong in thinking that his play with the galaxy faded (along with his minutes?) after that strong start?