U-23 camp - October 2019 - Miami

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by bshredder, Oct 2, 2019.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like Kreis' rosters are much more sensible, display that he scouts pretty seriously, and weighs a # of variables to get around the best 23 possible (you're never going to agree w/ every choice) given the circumstances. And he's gotten better results to date. We have seen improvements in the team's performances.

Here it's clear 1st teams like NYCFC and FCD put the kiebash on call-ups of players like Parks and Pomykal, whose issue was they were too impactful to their clubs. Otherwise surely they'd be included. Really they should be on the senior squad. That further calls Gregg's decision-making into question that the reason they were excluded wasn't just to alternate between the u-23's to be leaders there and help us qualify for the Olympics. It was seniors or bust.

FWIW, I did think Kreis was a better coach than Berhalter before either were hired by USS. Kreis just made some poor job choices to join virtual expansion sides.

nycfc919 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, Ebobisse was denied a release

3. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Parks has missed some time to injury and I think NYCFC wants him good to go for playoffs. Unfortunately his lack of callups and familiarity may cost him a spot on the qualifying roster.

It’s crazy how much talent there is here. Compared to the qualifying roster from 4 years ago it really shows how much the American development system has improved. Still we aren’t producing enough U23 stars to be a world power, but no longer are we calling players who are clearly not at the level. The competition for spots on this team, especially at center mid, is going to be insane.

4. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Parks is injured. Pomykal is also nursing an injury. Not surprised by their exclusion. Happy to see Glad, Duncan, Vines, and Cappis. Not a bad roster at all.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't make much of who was called in and who wasn't. These U-23 camps are mostly to keep players in the pool and playing games for the USA during international windows.

We aren't going to have our best players available for Olympic qualifying. Maybe we have closer to an "A" squad for the Olympics, but likely not very close.

Patrick167, Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For one, I think this is a really strong roster.

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not our best but yeah, pretty strong looking roster.

8. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #33 bshredder, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    When you take into consideration those

1) Not released: Ebobisse, Ferreira, Pomykal
    2) injured: Servania, Amon
    3) On another level (incl. injured): Pulisic, Adams, Weah, Sargent
    4) W/ Full NT: Aaronson, Cannon, Yueill

When you take out all of the above and are still able to put together this type of roster, it is impressive.

Not quite sure what was the deal with Sabbi. He was going to go to the camp last month but broke his nose and the club didn't release him (he continued to play for his club with a mask).

As for CCV and Antonee Robinson, I don't know. CCV is in a rough spot with his club. He plays but that team is very, very, bad. It's the same for Robinson although his team is only slightly better.

9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Reyna left off because he can still play for the U17s? I assume Uly is out due to his injury. What about Araujo and Paxton?

EDIT* Based on the above you can ignore Paxton.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can agree. Sure, there’s a guy here or there. But for the most part, somebody can look at this group, and say, that makes sense.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m just glad we have an u23 team for this reason. It’s awesome to keep these players into the fold, although most might not be quite ready for that next level. It still gets these guys some reps and teach them the system.

Pegasus repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No, he was left off because he's a U-17 player. This is not a prospect showcase. This team should be comprised of entirely professional footballers.

Llanez and Araujo might have a better argument because they have already played with the U-20's (and Araujo is a first team pro), but they likely aren't good enough either for this team. I might've made an exception for Araujo (if I was coach) due to his recent comments about his initial snub from the U-20 team, but its likely that none of the players not in the '97-'00 years are good enough to play for the roster when the games start mattering and we have to pick the best available players.

It's boring to see a roster with players like Herrera, Mihailovic, Lewis, but if we want to qualify for the Olympics and then play well at that tournament, you can't turn this into a prospect showcase. You pick the best players. They'll likely almost entirely be from your older age groups.

KUSA77, TarHeels17, Eleven Bravo and 2 others repped this.
  13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna didn't look out of place w/ Dortmund's 1st team in preseason and he's reportedly impressed w/ the u-23's at a camp earlier this year. I agree w/ the general philosophy, but as conveyed in the movie The Golden Child, you have to know when to break the rules. I would have called him in.

Disagree that Lewis is boring though for a u-23 team. His type of player is practically what the u-23 program is for, outside of the Olympics. Guys who are later developing so not quite good enough for the senior team, but still talented, who you want to back door to be of use. He's been productive per minute for a winger this season. A goal+assist every 120 minutes.

14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Winger is not deep in this pool. If Gio gets some 1st team time with BVB by the end of the season, I think he goes to Tokyo if we qualify.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe both Pax and Parks are nursing injuries.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, Sabbi is better than Lewis.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sabbi was less impressive in the u-20 CCAFship. Lewis has also had his moments for the senior team, while Sabbi was poor for the u-23's in their Europe trip. Sabbi has less than half the goal+assist rate this season in a league and team with half the Transfermarkt median as MLS + Colorado.

I genuinely think the grounds for your opinion is as simple as Sabbi being associated with a random European club as opposed to MLS one.

frankburgers and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  18. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... I don't get the whole comment about him not being a professional footballer... well... because he is. That being said, he is a major part of the U17 Team and I understand why they would keep him there to play in the U17 WC this month. Furthermore, considering who his father is I don't think we have to worry about him defecting.

Araujo, Ledezema, Mendez, Pepi and Llanez are another matter. I think Uly is still hurt... so that is likely why he is absent from this roster despite his monster numbers to start the season. Pepi is playing with Reyna in the U17 WC and Ledezema/Mendez got the U23 nod.... that leaves Araujo. Another LA Galaxy product from the US playing for Mexico? I hope not. At this point, the Mexico NT is pretty stacked so I am not sure switching sides is all that advisable.

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have selected Araujo. He's a great prospect who has looked like he belonged in MLS this season but has a tougher task making regular lineups competing with the likes of Venezuela senior int'l in Rolf Feltscher. I don't think Herrera would either, even though he's had a decent season in his own right. Not nearly the same upside as Araujo. That said, LA blocked his last opportunity w/ US youth sides, so don't know if he would have been released for this anyway. I'd definitely tell him he'd be here otherwise.

Mendez should have been left off, imo. Today he got off the Jong Ajax bench behind another player who can't make our u-17's in Pynadath. At the u-20 WC he was mediocre. I could be wrong in the end, but I'm not high on him as a prospect because his lack of much else besides a nasty left foot right now, and he hasn't performed nearly well enough against men for him to be called up on merit anyway.

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not your Sabbi of old, the kid as improved. I didn't think much of him when he played for the U20 tourney when Sargent played but now he is starting to put his game together, he is not just a fast, strong aimless winger.

P.S. I don't just say a player is better simply because he is playing abroad.

21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end, Araujo with this U-23 team is unlikely (he will be on the U-23 team in 2024).

For this team, Reggie Cannon is almost certainly going to drop down to the U-23s for qualifying and be the team’s starting right back. It’s hard to argue that’s not deserved.

Duncan is likely to be the backup RB for qualifying and his play the past month has been very good. He’s finally looking beyond his ACL tear.

Herrera is also another possibility but he might be behind Duncan is Duncan plays the way he has been.

Dotson is the starting 6 but can backup at RB on a small roster

If the US team qualifies, I believe US Soccer is going to push for the best possible team. They won’t get all the best U-23s but they will get some of the top tier players - and that might be Dest.

Araujo is probably best focusing on being a leader on the 2021 U-20 team under Tab. Nothing wrong with that

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wasn’t stating that Lewis is boring or a player without real NT potential. I think he’s a good player and he should be getting some minutes for the senior NT with how he’s producing, but he’s not a name with star power. I was naming older players on that roster who play regularly at a good enough professional level, despite not being considered big time talents by most people. Lewis is going to lose out to a name like Reyna or Llanez on hype, but he’s better than both (for now) IMO.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He plays every week in a U-19 league and has never played in a pro game that counts. He’s not even listed on the first team roster. He’s not a pro. To be fair, neither is Llanez. Good players (who could be professionals already in MLS), but when you take that route, it might take a little longer to get to the professional game.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The defenders and midfielders are strong. The forwards and goal keepers less so.

An MLS team denying a release should be a scandal.

25. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Sorry if someone already asked, but do you know if Araujo was called up but not released by LAG?

Pl@ymaker repped this.