U-20 WNT: 2014 Campaign

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lunatica, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #676 luvdagame, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    because i contribute to the wild speculation and debate that i sometimes make fun of/extend illogically/rail against. in one of my recent posts on the international u20 thread, i made a point of including myself as one of the people who keep making the same mistake. i realize i do it all the time. so i am not reluctant to point that out.

i also try not to take this whole thing too seriously, altho, as a huge fan of the game, that's hard not to do.

thirdly, notice that right after my "poor to genius in one game" quip, came the words "no, actually...." written so that no one would think i was castigating them.

kolabear repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, part of the culture is having some people who point out that some posters are engaging in wild speculation and debate. I do enjoy it more when they point it out with humor, as luvdagame did in this case.

kolabear repped this.
  3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, missing a couple big games there! Steinhaus was the center ref for the 2011 World Cup final between the US and Japan and also for the 2012 Olympic gold medal match again between the US and Japan.

kernel_thai repped this.
  4. Just Here

Just Here Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Not missed, just thought everyone here was already familiar with her. The German Wikipedia entry for Steinhaus has a list of all her major tournament matches.

5. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  6. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any TV for this one?

7. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPNU & ESPN3

8. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing. Keep winning and I'll hope it makes it to ESPN 2...

9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you get ESPN2 there's a good chane you get ESPNU, all major network packages include both.

10. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Only get ESPN and ESPN 2. No U, News, or Classic.

Was surprised to see that we got the SEC Network when it launched though.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not listed as being available on ESPN3.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's not that simple. They actually have live content during the afternoons and evenings scheduled for a while now.

13. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013

14. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 to the good side already!

Doniak in the 6th minute

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I realize its wet but Rowland is having an awful time.

16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd half 85% of possession is occurring in the USA half.

17. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Ouch, PK's did not go well!!!!

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    N. Korea wins in PKs after 1-1 in regulation. A very deserved win by clearly a better team.

Romario'sgurl and Winoman repped this.
  19. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    It would have been a disgrace if the US had gone through. A strong opening ten minutes or so and then complete domination by North Korea for the remaining 110.

The fact that we looked by far the less technically developed side given the differential in developmental resources is unbelievable. I certainly don't leave this tournament feeling like there's much ready to challenge for a USWNT roster spot in the intermediate future with the obvious exception of Horan. Yuck.

Romario'sgurl, Mosan and Winoman repped this.
  20. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    North Korea played some tidy possession play. The Americans seemed to rely a bit more on athleticism.

In any event, I think the gap will widen a bit, skill wise, between certain European countries plus Japan in comparison with North American female players.

21. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    #696 Namdynamo, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    Ok, can the USWNT and female youth teams now stop hiring clueless American coaches who knows nothing outside of kick and chase/rout 1 soccer?

We got a bunch of clueless American coaches (Heinrich, Ellis, French) running the highest levels of US Women soccer nowadays. Nice!

BrooklynSoccer and Ads13 repped this.
  22. Ads13

Ads13 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    That was abysmal. North Korea really showed technical proficiency after those opening 15 minutes and never looked as rattled as the US, even when the US had the lead.

I don't understand American coaching at all. Why keep playing in a formation that clearly was not working? This force feeding of a 4-3-3 is really worrisome to me; it's more beneficial to be good at multiple formations, isn't it? If this is what people say—Heinrichs' and Ellis' influence—I hope those two respectfully decline further involvement and realize their tactical awareness of 90s women's soccer isn't hacking it in today's game.

exref repped this.
  23. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    USA won the last U20 WC, so I'm not going to jump off a cliff just yet, but couple more cycles might do it!. People are saying USA depends too much on athleticism, the problem was this team was not all that athletic!.

taosjohn and Winoman repped this.
  24. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    #699 Namdynamo, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

The truth is the last 2 US teams that won the U20 WC played possession/attacking soccer by male US coaches. While the last 2 U20 US teams that crashed out in the QFs were coached by Ellis and French while playing kick and chase/route 1 soccer all tournament.

I didn't want to say the clueless female US coaches in the above posts because many here will call me a sexist (a week ago I posted that the US female program should stop hiring mediocre coaches just because they are female and they are Americans, such as Heinrich, Ellis, French)

25. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but it's not Heinrichs' and Ellis' system. It's the system the USSF directs the teams to play (but, as pointed out, can morph into a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield). The person responsible for this at US Soccer is Claudio Reyna.

taosjohn repped this.