U-20, U-19, and U-17 January Camp (Jan. 4-13, Florida)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how many coaches are willing to do this? The federation may not have a lot of choices. I'd like to see the best academy coaches get a one year assignment to one of these teams. Would seem to be a way around the GOB and a way for young up and comers not even on the professional side move up.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup...…………….. who are you getting to coach the U19s?
    Its a lowly paid, part-time position.

So any young coach will want to work with players on a day-to-day basis.
    Any more established first team coach wants a higher paid, more prestigious job than this. Or at least have a goal to build towards. The U17s and U20s have a purpose and a platform. The U19s is nothing but a holding pen for kids we want to keep in the pool, but aren't in the U20s for a myriad of reasons.

I'm no Curt Onalfo fan, but I don't know who people think we'd get for that job. An insider retread trying to rebuild his reputation seems like the kind of guy we can get. To some degree I think Onalfo was a scapegoat for bigger systemic problems at the Galaxy..………………….

mike4066 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a straw man argument. I never said the USSF should hire an established first team coach, who I agree would clearly not be interested. I'm advocating that the USSF look harder and find up-and-coming youth coaches whose names are not well-known, and who therefore might find a U19 type job appealing. It's low-paid and not that prestigious, but it gets a coach's name out there in ways that DA work largely does not. After all, that's why these retread coaches keep taking the job.

Just in the last year or so, Friedel, Namazi, and Hackworth have all left YNT posts for first team jobs elsewhere. YNT jobs are not glamorous, but can be stepping stones.

4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really know if the U-19 is part time. More than likely the HC part of it is but they more than likely will also double as an assistant coach with the U-20's and otherwise keeping tabs on the U-19 player pool.

Now the U-19 assistant coaches are probably part time.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For those that care about such things, the following players in the U19 team who are still in HS have committed to the following colleges for the fall of 2019.

Julian Araujo (01) - UC Santa Barbara
    Sam Fowler (00) - Washington
    Hunter George (01) - UCLA
    Blake Malone (01) - North Carolina
    Andre Reynolds (01) - Brown
    Kris Shakes (01) - Penn State

Couldn't find a college commitment for Travian Sousa (01) and Marcelo Palomino (01) and Nathan Harriel (01) though the latter two have made their intentions to go pro pretty well-known. (Harriel recently rescinded a verbal commitment to NC State to join the Union academy.)

Now, this time a year ago Chris Richards was a UNC commit and Sebastian Soto was going to Cal so lot can happen before its time to matriculate. I think most of us would be surprised if, for instance, Julian Araujo actually plays college soccer.

But, for now, these are the schools these guys are headed to.

6. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Marcelo Palomino listed unattached but the hometown was listed as Frisco, Texas. Is that typo or is FCD trying to make a play for him?

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Pretty sure he was with the dynamo academy actually. Then trailer with a Portuguese team at Porto I think. His 18th birthday is this spring so I’m sure we’ll know soon enough

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Have we definitively lost Miljevic to ARG (at least at the YNT level), or does he not make the grade for any of these teams?

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miljevic is a 2001. There are a few 01s with the U19s in this camp, but most of them would show up in a U18 camp and the U18s aren't assembled here.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I can't think of any mechanism whereby FCD can sign him.

HOWEVA, there's nothing that says North Texas SC can't sign him. :)

11. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    The current U-20 Argentine coach did not even call him for the list of 32 for the South American, so he is not considered by ARG. He is not doing the preseason with the first team of Argentinos Jrs, so I guess he has lowered his performance. I do not know if the USSF still has contact with him, although he said that he has not yet decided on any of the 2 selections

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show up wearing USA Nike wear and be cool and they may let you watch other times too.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Show up with a light and dark jersey, your own water, and some cleats and they may let you play the U20s on Sunday at 4 p.m! ;)

zlebmada, gunnerfan7, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  15. SoccerLover829

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 21, 2018

16. SoccerLover829

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 21, 2018
    Where are Ochoa, De Freitas, Schick and Rando? I have seen Shakes play, but never heard of Fowler...

TimB4Last repped this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I hear you - really could have used some of those names, especially Shtick.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ochoa is not as advertised, IMO.

Has anyone seen Defreitas-Hansen play in the last year?

Rando is pretty good, but I don't think he's a must call up to a team that does have some 00's.

Fowler is pretty good. He's gone under the radar at Seattle because they also have Muse, but I'd say he's probably the second best '00 keeper. One of the better American keepers with his feet.

SoccerLover829 repped this.
  19. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay.

20. SoccerLover829

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 21, 2018
    Anyone watching the game later today?

don Lamb repped this.
  21. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Not sure where I saw the rosters since I can't find them in this thread, but remember thinking that the 19s should be able to stack up just fine against the 20s despite having a pretty weak group of forwards. Hope we get some updates...

22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Peretz48, Pl@ymaker and USSoccerNova repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why is Ives reporting on Amaya? I don't think anyone cares how he plays.

If he's on the U-20 WC team, a better player was left off.

Patrick167 repped this.
  25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You can't possibly be this obtuse.

frankburgers repped this.