U-20 camp: July 15-22, 2018 - Raleigh

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by bshredder, Jul 7, 2018.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have me confused with someone else, I'm a man of few and distant sources.

I wasn't aware that they had a game on Saturday, though.

2. FC Dallas 1

FC Dallas 1 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Answered my own question from earlier. Win 4/1. Goals Soto, servania, pomykal, Rennicks. Heard Ledesma played very well with an assist or two and Pomykal with 2 assists. Wish we could watch. Played a old team mostly unc area kids

3. FC Dallas 1

FC Dallas 1 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not old but PDL. Spellcheck got me

4. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Now that Carleton got his first start and did decent and will presumably get more minutes I hope Pomykal make the same impact

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    FCD appears to be betting on him or at the very least cleared out a spot for him to compete for more time with Hayes and Servania.

Sombrerito repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pomykal's more of an attacking mid. Those players you named are more holding mids. This should help out Servania a lot more than Pomyal. Its wasting Pomykal's strengths using him as a #8, IMO.

Sombrerito repped this.
  7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    But lately when Acosta has come on he's been playing more forward as an attacking mid with Ulloa and Gruezo behind him. He's not that and his lack of production this year shows that. So when I say his leaving opens up a spot I mean Acosta won't prevent Hayes, Pomykal or Servania coming on. All of whom are more offensively gifted around the box, excepting set pieces, when the team is down a goal or trying to break a tie.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except they just signed or are about to sign a 21 year old Chilean #10. I guess they can fight it out. Pax may have a better chance against a younger player who hasn't gotten used to MLS than against Diaz.

9. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I figured the Chilean would be starting and we were talking about who would be first off the bench. That was Acosta who was taking minutes from Pax, Hayes, etc.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #110 Clint Eastwood, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Do be honest, I don't think the Acosta trade helps or huts Pomykal.
    They still have CMs.

Its pushes Servania one rung up the ladder. And maybe gets the club thinking about signing Cappis as a homegrown to fill the Servania pipeline position.

Pax's playing time competition is the new Chilean and Mosquera.

Also, not necessarily good for Pax is that FCD picked up an international roster spot for both 2018 and 2019 (as well as Colorado's first round pick in 2019 draft, which will be a high one).

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

And now possibly Roberts as the rumor is he will be announced as the next HG soon. Hopefully they send him to Bayern on loan as soon as they sign him, but if not, he will also be another CM on the roster.

12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't that international roster spot essentially get filled up by Badji?

13. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    He's close to getting his green card finalized

ShaftBrewer repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The MLS announcement says Badji is really close to a green card.

They are also bringing in two foreign guys in the Brazilian left back and Chilean #10. One is taking Diaz's slot. Maybe they needed another........................?

I think Twumasi took Nedyalkov's spot.

They also have the two GenAd kids Atuahene and Reid that haven't been able to play with the FCD first team as there haven't been international spots available. So maybe they can bring one of them back from loan?

Anyway, my conclusion is only that I don't think this Acosta move helps Paxton. It helps Servania. We know they like Brandon, and haven't been able to find time for him just due to the numbers. So now we have the trio of Hayes/Grueso/Ulloa taking most of the starts, with Brandon getting in there.

I really want to see debuts for both Servania and Bryan Reynolds over the 2nd half of this season.

I also don't think FCD is done wheeling and dealing. They needed Badji like they needed a hole in the head. What they need is a difference-making #9, not another Akindele. If he stays with the first team, then that hurts Ferreira. I had predicted 500 minutes for Ferreira this season. I think paxton is going to be closer to my estimate for him than Ferreira is going to be to 500 minutes.

TheFalseNine and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roberts can’t go over to Bayern until next summer. His only real option for pro playing time this fall is a loan to a USL team.

He’ll then most likely play for FCD2 in the first half of 2019, and we’ll see what Dallas does with him from there.

Tom Collingsworth, TxEx and Runhard repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah...............I understand why FCD wants to lock Roberts down.
    But I don't really know what's in it for Thomas. Right now there's no USL team, and no first team playing time available. As far as I know he can't go to Bayern on an offical loan until his 18th birthday.

He should wait a little while until he's closer to his 18th birthday to make an assessment of his FCD versus European opportunities. That isn't until may of NEXT YEAR. Like McKennie, his stock seems to be rising quickly. Like McKennie, he wasn't part of the U17 cycle. [McKennie got a token appearance or two, Roberts didn't get any I believe.] Maybe he should wait until after the shop window of the 2019 Dallas Cup to make a decision...........................

Roberts is one who I could see make a late push for this U20 squad if his reputation keeps rising. We don't know if some of these Euro-based guys like Taylor Booth are going to be available.

Runhard and TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

this is where I don't understand why Roberts would want to sign the HG deal either unless it allows him to walk at 19 at the latest. If he signs until he is 20 ( 3 year deal) FCD decides not to loan him out to Bayern( like Bryan and Jesus so far) and he doesn't get any first team minutes, what did signing do for him?

I guess there is something to be said for playing U19 DA with FCD and getting paid to do it ( from public sites it looks like Bryan will make 140K for two years to play U19 DA) so its not all bad and surely they have good agents and advisers, but the track record is not great for FCD HGs.

Would like to see Roberts get to Europe as well as his size and style are a better fit for a more advanced type of game.

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. FC Dallas 1

FC Dallas 1 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Interesting read from Gloster. According to him Pomykal had a good camp. Players have no bias, just who can play or not. This gives me hope for fcd boys there.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #120 ussoccer97531, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Roberts is just another number. He's not good enough yet to effect the playing time of any of these players. Maybe Reynolds, but they don't exactly play the same position.

Its really no surprise. Pomykal is very good, and is usually flat out dominant against youth competition, whether its with FCD or USYNT's. He has yet to really be able to show that well for FC Dallas outside of preseason, but his role has been so erratic that its hard for him to get into any sort of a rhythm. I think we should pay more attention to the circumstances surrounding when these players play than purely evaluating whether the performances are good or bad. Pomykal has somewhat disappointed in very limited first team minutes, but I think that has a lot more to do with the consistency of his role than anything. And some of that is actually bad luck. For example, he put a ball on a platter to Ferreira his most recent appearance that was missed. That should've been a very good assist. Instead, it didn't count as an assist because the shot was missed.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Correct me if I'm wrong, you thought Pomykal would play 1000 minutes and Ferreira 500? Pomykal is at 160. Ferreira is a lot closer to 500 than Pomykal is to 1000. Neither is anywhere close to the estimate.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #122 Clint Eastwood, Jul 24, 2018
    Yeah............but just reading the tea leaves about playing opportunities and stock as we enter the second half of the season. Pomykal has been in the 18 almost every game he's been back from injury. He's started some, but mostly come off the bench. That's kind of what I expected for him in 2018. Ferreira has had sporadic bench opportunities only. And now with Badji coming in, I think that moves him off the bench.

The moves this off-season have been good for Pax and Brandon. Diaz was an automatic starter if healthy and match-fit. Now Pax is in a competition with the new Chilean for those minutes. Who'll win? I don't know. I've never seen the Chilean with my own eyes in MLS.

The moves this window have been bad for Ferreira.

Reynolds continues to get really good reviews at right back from both the FCD coaching staff and people attending FCD practice. I won't be surprised if that move is made permanent soon. We can start thinking of Bryan as a "succession plan" for when Cannon leaves for greener pastures. In fact, I would not be surprised if the US U20s take a peek at Bryan at right back in a camp. Why not? Are we sure Gloster and other Euros are going to be available? Its not like fullback is out deepest position in this U20 pool. It never seems to be.

Reynolds, by the way................is actually younger than Roberts. Because he signed so long ago I tend to lose sight of that fact.

As far as Roberts goes, I'd only accept a homegrown deal right now if the money is right. Let's not forget that FCD is paying Chris Richards $120k right now to NOT play for them. He's not eligible. The prices to sign homegrown players of USYNT quality are rightly going up year after year. Richards makes more than Andrew Carleton. If I was Roberts I'd demand $150k to sign early. if they don't wanna pay it, then wait a year. No need to sign now. If FCD wants to pay me $150k to play with the U19s and USL squad next year, then so be it.

Sandon Mibut, Runhard and TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I have no knowledge of the contract to add but this type of deal that you mention is exactly what I believe MLS will be forced to write with the best prospects. As they get a better reputation in Europe for developing players their ability to sign players til 20+ will improve because the European clubs will be more likely to sign a young (20-21 yr old) American. There is a market for 20-21 yr old players developed in European leagues and there eventually will be one from MLS as well. Currently it seems the Scandanavian leagues are the only ones that want older US players and now their salaries are less competitive with MLS.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #124 ussoccer97531, Jul 24, 2018
    I don't regard Reynolds as a RB, so I don't see any reason to use him as a RB with the U-20's. I'm hoping the Dallas coaching staff gets fired at the end of the season, and his development is straightened out next season.

Anyway, can we agree that the competition between Aranguiz and Pomykal is not a real competition? Claiming there's a real competition here is like claiming there's a real competition between Carleton and Barco. The guy whose going to play is the player with the big transfer fee. The young Americans are after-thoughts, and I think trying to claim they have any chance to earn PT is a misnomer off the bat. They'll play very sporadically to a point that it has nothing to do with what they've earned or not earned. We are talking about 340 combined minutes between those two. They must be pretty terrible if they are fairly competing, and have only earned that many combined minutes.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think you're making a lot of assumptions about Aranguiz. None of us have ever seen him play. I don't know why you're assuming he'll be handed the starting #10 job. Could that happen? Sure. I don't know. I find it hard to believe that he'll step off the plane and be a starter right away. FCD's not giving up on Paxton by any means. He'll get more chances, and he needs to take advantage of them. That's the case with 18 year olds around the world. Gotta prove to your veteran teammates and the coaching staff that you can do the job.

There is, by the way, no coach in MLS with more job security than Oscar Pareja.

upload_2018-7-24_15-33-21.jpeg

TheFalseNine repped this.