U-17 WC ten years later

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Excape Goat, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is the list of the players who played at 1991 and 1993 U-17 World Cup also played this summer in Korea/Japan

Italy:Buffon, Coco,Totti
    Japan: Nakata, Toda, Matsuda
    Nigeria: Kanu
    USA: O'Brien
    China: Yu Guanwei, Li Shaopeng

Mexico, Argentina and Poland were the other teams that qualified for U-17 WC in 1993 and the WC Finals in 2002. They sent no one to Japan from the teams in 1993.

Italy: Del Piero
    Argentina: Veron, Claudio Hussain, Marcelo Gallardo.
    Mexico: Johan Rodriguez

USA, China, Germany, Uruguay and Spain also particiated in both 1991 U-17 WC and 2002 WC Finals, but no player play in both. All the Brazilians used their real names in 1991. I cannot determine their ID in 2002.

2. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have the time, you need to continue this process. How many players off the 95, 97 and 99 U17 WC teams played in WC 2002?

Also, what does this show if a country has a lot of its U17 WC players subsequently playing on the big stage? Does it say that they did a good job of picking their U17 players with an eye toward their ultimate potential? Or does it say that they did a good job of developing their young stars to perform on the big stage?

Any other points of view on this?

3. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there anyone in Brazil on the boards who can identify these guys for us?

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Didn't Portugal win the 1991 U-17 WC? How many players from that "Golden Generation" went on to WC 2002?

Sachin

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Portugal won the U-20 World Cup twice in the earliar 90's. That's the next level up. Figo and Rui Costa played on those teams. I think one of them actually won it twice.

kevbrunton, I do not have time to look it up. I did not look at the roster of 1995, 1997 or 1999 because they have not reached their prime. May be by 2006 some of the unknowns will become who's who in Europe. So it is pointless to see what happened to them now. Perhaps, I should do that on 1995 U-17 World Cup since the players must be around 23 or 24. I suspect a few of them have become star players.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Question: Is the U-20 WC the "World Youth Championships"?

Or is it the U-17?

Sachin

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WYC is the U20 Championships. It's the one that was most recently in Argentina. The U17 tournament was in Trinidad & Tobago.