U-17 CONCACAF WWC qualifying

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    60' 0-0 USA subs in (1 of 3) #23 Reilyn Turner for #4 Talia DellaPeruta.

65' 1-0 #3 Wiesner right ck, inswings to 3m left post. #23 Reilyn Turner outjumps the pack, heads over GK Karpenko into 1/4 left back high.

66' 1-0 #9 Croix Bethune chases a through-ball to 22m arc left, Karpenko comes out above box top and slides. Bethune flicks ball past her (it rolls wide right), Karpenko plows through Bethune's right foot and flips her down. Bethune stays down, writhing in pain. Stoppage, trainer: serious leg injury. Bethune stretchered off.

69' 1-0 USA subs in:
    - (2 of 3) #8 Diana Ordóñez for #18 Sunshine Fontes
    - (3 of 3) #11 Maya Doms for #9 Croix Bethune (right knee).
    [​IMG]

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #102 Gilmoy, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    78' 1-0 #10 Aaliyah Scott passes from circle top to #11 Kaila Novak running loose through box top mid-left. Sliding cross toward 7m right post, #12 Teni Akindoju slides with her defender and gets a flick-touch, but insufficient redirection, ball stays wide right. They beat us on that counter in about three separate places.

84' 1-0 USA pattycake in the back, not needing to score again. Finally we dribble across midfield mid-right and chip down wide right, harmlessly over.

85' 1-0 Turner looms over #14 Maya Ladhani, chases her to (our) circle top mid-right, leans into her and both go down flat, with Turner on top. Ref gives Turner a warning.

86' 1-0 #7 Serita Thurton cramps up at midfield far touch. Stoppage, all others get water.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    88' 1-0 Novak works to 2m wide left, sends in a cross. USA clear.

90' 1-0 USA pattycake in the center circle strip: pass to circle top, dribble away from pressure, backpass, backpass, etc. Finally, a long switch hits Turner 1-v-1 at 15m wide right ... vs. Novak. Novak follows her to 2m wide right (near corner flag), throws Turner down behind her :) (actually Turner tripped self), gets up and takes ball. +4'.

90+1' (of +4') 1-0 Novak crosses from box top wide left! She's up and down the left side, not done running.

90+4' (of +4') 1-0 Canada high cross to 7m 6-right, Akindoju runs center-to-right and hop-heads high, just wide right into side netting. GK Anderson was a bit wrong-footed, might or might not have had right 90 covered.

FT 1-0. USA wins Group A.

Namdynamo repped this.
  4. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulltime 1-0 USA, Haiti next in Semis

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico 1-1 Haiti
    USA 1-0 Canada

Group A:
    7+15 (+16-1) A1.Mexico
    7+05 (+07-0) A2.Haiti

0-10 (+1-11) Puerto Rico (not present at Bradenton)
    0-10 (=0-10) Nicaragua

Group B:

9+14 (+15-1) B1.USA (vs. A2.Haiti)
    6+03 (+05-2) B2.Canada (vs. A1.Mexico)

0=00 (+07-7) Costa Rica
    0-17 (+02-19) Bermuda

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looking at the FIFA draw the US might be better off finishing 3rd. The group CONCACAF 3 will be in looks the easiest of the possible groups for CONCACAF. The group CONCACAF 1 will be in looks quite tough with South Africa, Japan and Brazil.

But my feeling is that it would be too chancy to try to loose to Haiti on purpose as that would mean that we would have to beat either Mexico or Canada and both of those are quite capable of pulling an upset. If we beat Haiti we will still face one of those two but then an upset would only drop us to second.

It is safest to simply win the next two games and then do the best we can in Uruguay.

The US showed some vulnerability against Canada but these are young girls and we cannot expect the level of maturity we see in the full national side.

BTW: Watching the US vs Canada makes me REALLY hope the the center ref NEVER refs another game above U10. She let go fouls that could have resulted in serious injuries and then, toward the end of the game, called several that were little more than gentle touches. I have seen fewer games more poorly in my 30+ years of coaching youth soccer.

7. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Brazil is terrible at the U-17 level.
    South Africa, meh.

This would be the easiest group the USWNT (U-17) has ever been in at the World Cup, compared to 2008, 2012, and 2016.

If the USWNT (U-17) finish 3rd in CONCACAF, then they join a group with North Korea and Germany. Currently as it stands, North Korea is recently the BEST team in the world at the U-17 level, and Germany is as strong as any team from Europe at the U-17 level in sheer talent. That's 2 of the Top 4 teams in the world at the U-17 level in North Korea and Germany. That would be the GROUP OF DEATH, if USA joins it.

8. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    The US was much better than Canada. Seems to me that a full national team player should dominate a u17 competition. Huitema did not. She had at least two chances and didn’t finish well. She also should have been able to make more for herself. The Canadian midfield was woeful. I don’t think they are advancing in skills despite their residency etc. their first touch and passing was really poor. Their bright spot was their goal keeper.

The Americans had several bright spots. I am impressed with CB/holding midfielder Sophie Jones. Excellent ball control great passing. She is also tough and proactive in her tackles. Anticipates the play very well. Plays quickly and intelligently. Also like Samantha Meza. Some creativity with great ball skills. The outside back Morris should catch Eliis’ eye. She’s a true attacking wingback with pace. Forwards had trouble finishing or that game could have easily been 5-0.

Looking forward to seeing how they stack up with physical Haiti. I think Jones’ tidiness on the ball will keep her distributing well. If the forwards can finish better I think they may fare well.

Namdynamo repped this.
  9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    because we seem to be picking for skill now more than we used to, athletic teams will give us more trouble. we saw this with the u20 girls.

...so, i’m expecting a battle from haiti - especially if they play canada’s tactical game. canada got behind our slow defense several times on the break. haiti should be able to do so even more.

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2018/06/10 Sun 07:30 PDT:
    Mexico 2-1 Canada

06' 1-0 cross from 30m box right to 7m 3-left, Anette Vázquez heads a mini-lob across mouth over GK Karpenko.

37' 1-1 Huitema (pbp guy called her "HOO-tema" all day long :speechless:) steals at 27m box right, dribbles down wide right to 1m as Teni Akindoju cuts behind her to 6-top right. Ground pass, Akindoju delicate one-touch right instep bend over GK Gutiérrez, into left side netting low.

45' 1-1 Alison González receives a through-ball at box top center, Riviere hip-checks her down. Foul, pk.
    45+2' (of +2') 2-1 Nicole Pérez pk, right instep to back left low (Karpenko stepped wrong).

FT 2-1. Mexico had a couple of good chances inside Canada's box for a 3rd. Canada still have two chances to qualify: win the 3rd place game, or the 4th-place play-off vs. Argentina.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see it that way at all. Getting called up doesn't instantly make you run faster, nor shoot harder, nor shoot better. (Just look at the guys called up by the Cleveland Cavaliers :D)

Huitema was called up because Canada WNT, in Herdman's last few years, took some seriously bold shots at the moon, calling up 16-yr-olds on promise because they know they need to rejuvenate their roster. (She's not the only one; Canada have several others in her cohort, including Deanne Rose and Jessie Fleming.)

And they didn't just blindly pick the 16-year-old speed demon who physically dominates now. Herdman freely admits that he sees in Huitema the body type that might mature, c. ~24 yrs old, into a Sinclair-size target forward with better touch. She looks good with their full WNT because she's mentally up to the speed of play. She looks not-dominant at U17s because that's the level of the rest of the team, and there's nothing for her to combine with. Nobody expected her to be a solo creator now; that's never been the allure in her game. They want her for her ... mind ;)

Also, being still in high school, she doesn't have any more hours to train just because of a call-up. It's a totally different situation from, say, Matheson, who does have 50+ hours a week to train and prep.

That said, yes, I kind of agree that she had a couple decent breakaway chances for shots at not-trivial angles, and muffed them. But that's just soccer. France MNT had about 20 of those against USA U23s yesterday, and the whole world expected more from them :D

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late to edit! I mixed that up with the 2019 WWC. W17 has no 4th-place play-off, since it's only 16 teams. Anyways, the draw was already done at the start of June, and there's exactly 3 unknown boxen for CONCACAF teams.

So it's win-or-stay-home in the 3rd-place match for Canada on Tuesday.

13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #113 Gilmoy, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14' 0-1 Haiti fk at ~25m center, #10 Melchie Dumonay right instep golaaaaaaazo just inside left post 2/3 high. GK Anderson ran across but let it go -- might or might not have extended her reach with a dive.

15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The US goalkeeper REALLY needs some training on reading balls from a distance out. This is the second goal given up on no better than a fair free kick without even a move to save it.

Yes this is U17 but I have coached several 14 year olds and a couple of 12 year olds that would have saved those with little problem. Any U17 should make those saves or at least make a real effort.

16. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #116 Gilmoy, Jun 10, 2018
    That free kick:

26'? 0-1 1h cooling break. Florida in June :)

32' 1-1 USA cross from ~25m box left toward 14m 2/5 left, above-head roundhouse clearance try whiffs and toe-ticks it softly down to 8m 1/4 left. Sunshine Fontes +1 break through the back line, Fontes passes ball into net.

17. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    The Haitian’s skills are non existent. Looks like they first kicked a soccer ball a year ago. But they are athletic. The cross leading to the US goal should have been cleared by one of two defenders who were first and second to the ball. Pretty ugly.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    45'10" 1-1 Haiti kick off, backpass, long chip from circle halfback left. Anderson stays back, ball bounces at 4m center, up to crossbar center -- Anderson hop-palms it over bar :eek: Lost it in the sun? Rattled by the 1h goal?

46' 1-1 Haiti right ck, headed away and cleared.

19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Again the US GK shows a lack of training. That long ball of the kickoff should hav been either caught or short hopped. Staying on the line is simply poor training.

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #120 Gilmoy, Jun 10, 2018
    46' 1-1 USA subs in (1 of 3) #23 Reilyn Turner for #13 Samantha Kroeger.

48' 2-1 #7 Samantha Meza crosses from 18m box left to 10m mid-right, #10 Mia Fishel taps ball down to self, does a ridonkulous donkey kick high to 6-top center. Haiti heads ball straight up instead of away, it bounces at 6m center. Fishel waits for the drop, swings right roundhouse into 1/3 left back low.

51' 3-1 Meza crosses from 22m box left to box top arc right. Turner comes back to ball, snap-flicks header down to 6m 4-right. #18 Sunshine Fontes outsprints #13 Caremus, slide-volleys across mouth under GK Fleuriot, into back left low.

TimB4Last repped this.
  21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see potential in the Haitian youth teams. They may not be quite ready now to challenge for more than the odd WC appearance, but if they got just a bit more funding, they could do so much more.

blissett repped this.
  22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    71' 3-1 Dumonay long chip from way out, Anderson casually trots across to endline 4m right -- lowers hands, plays ball with her right leg. Bad bounce, off her leg and through her wicket, over endline for a corner kick. Wow, she'll have some homework to do :(

75' 3-1 2h cooling break.

23. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Don’t disagree. That was pretty much my point. They have gotten pretty far on athleticism only. If they sprinkled in some skills.... could be very successful
    The skills take a bit of money at the little kid level. I don’t know anything about the culture in Haiti regarding little girls playing soccer. But if they got a grass roots program going. Could really take off.

24. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    #124 olelaliga, Jun 10, 2018
    Dumanay is a beast and I think they said only 14. Wow. Nice finish and the level of our athleticism in the back may prove problematic. Exposed there. Also that was a near post goal also arguably GK contributing

The Haitian gk was pretty good but that second goal was a problem for her. Off her line but doesn’t call off her defender. The defender heads it to the USA, gk now in no where land easy finish.

Third goal poor defense in nearside back keeping fontes on side. Fontes marker played it well if she didn’t get foiled by her teammate’s lazy positioning.

I still really like Jones. She reminds me of a more athletic and more skillful Rebecca Quinn. I can see why she’s going to Duke in a year. (Even though about her only turnover led to Dumonay’s try from 70 yards out)

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #125 Gilmoy, Jun 10, 2018
    90+2' (of +3'?) 3-2 Haiti longball from circle back right to 25m mid-right, #10 Melchie Dumonay runs past Michela Agresti on the outside, dribbles fast down midright past Kennedy Wesley's shoulder-challenge try, to 4m mid-right. Right instep bend on a full sprint, perfectly behind Anderson's left hand, across mouth into left side netting hard. Wow, pace and power.

FT 3-2. USA qualifies for the Uruguay 2018 W17 WWC this November!

TimB4Last repped this.