U-17 CONCACAF WWC qualifying

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Feb 1, 2018.

1. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    #51 olelaliga, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    "That's probably what exposed you to much too easy objections"

And I have graciously admitted as much ...my bad ...seriously...do you have to keep pushing? I would have been done with this but you seem to continue to want to beat the dead horse. Further my original mistake was in confusing the two games, Jordan and Iran in my admittedly ill thought out inclusion of Jordan to illustrate my point. It wasn't as you said that I was completely ignorant to the u17 games. Actually quite the contrary, if you bother to read back on my commentary on that 2016 team specifically (I predicted the difficulty they would have when limited in time and space) and on the games themselves. Your criticisms there have been significantly misplaced. By the way it was the U20s in New Guinea not the 17s as you cite, should I then conclude that you have no credibility and nothing to add? Of course not.

As I have said, we all have our biases and I will endeavor to attempt to keep mine in check for the future: what else do you want? I still think Jordan is not an ideal choice despite my error. I also do not think that inviting a youth world cup will have any significant lasting effect on that country's "progress". Even if in choosing future venues, the potential for advancing "progress" existed, it can not in any way justify the putting of our children in any danger. As far as "developing nations", if I wouldn't choose to visit that country because of concerns for safety, I would not advocate for awarding that country venue status for youth programs. Again that is my opinion. I have children do you?

You have added interesting posts to many discussions. It is in noones interest to quash discussion.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was just acknowledging your admission. Sorry if it sounded rude, because it wasn't my intention.

Then I got back to the original point, explaining why I wasn't anyway agreeing with you, but keeping it respectful, I guess. Just a different opinion, but not dismissing yours.

Moving on?

3. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Gladly thanks

blissett repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some may have moved on, but I feel compelled to add this point:

As for safety specifically, which has been mentioned by several posters, my opinion as an expat who's lived in a developing country (India) for nearly a decade and travelled fairly widely to other countries, both developed and developing, would be that not all developing countries are unsafe, and not all developed countries are. Frankly, I often feel safer in India than the US. I'm not advocating for tournaments in war-torn countries. I just enjoy spreading them around (and yes, I enjoyed rooting for the U-17 US boys team while they played in the WC in India; otoh, I have strong feelings about Qatar).

Also where is the line drawn as far as safety? Whose advice should we follow? I don't think anyone, including even FIFA, has any intention of placing children in danger. I'm not aware of any FIFA tournament being held in a country where the USDOS currently has a travel advisory level of "Do not travel." In fact, I feel fairly confident that the USSF would not send a team of any age to a country with a travel advisory of level 4 ("do not "travel") and would have strong reservations about a level 3 ("reconsider travel"; the men's team has had to travel to Level 3 countries before though for WC qualification).

For countries currently scheduled with an upcoming FIFA tournament, this year's WC in Russia currently has the highest USDOS travel advisory of "Reconsider travel." Places like Papua New Guinea, India, and Jordan have the same travel advisory level as many places in Europe (like Denmark and Germany) of Level 2: "Exercise increased caution." Nicaragua just got elevated from "exercise increased caution" to "reconsider travel" 2 days ago. In other words, when the tournament kicked off, Nicaragua had the same travel safety advisory as many European countries as far as the US govt is concerned. So if the US government's travel safety advice is not sufficient, then who gets to say what country is sufficiently safe?

And now I'm reconsidering this post having reread some of the above posts in the thread, but I've typed it all out, so I'm not deleting it now. :unsure::barefoot:

blissett repped this.
  5. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Just put USA, Canada, and Mexico in the U-17 World Cup, and call it a day.

L'orange repped this.
  6. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Hmmm, they may be moving this tournament to the United States.

7. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any more news on this? I'm really curious to see the rest of the tournament!

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    as am i.

but I've not heard anything.

9. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It would be funny if they drew results out of a hat, to determine official results.

10. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have an unusual definition of funny.

blissett repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He has. He always had. :x3:

Airox repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's back on...

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Where this place exactly is? I am sorry, I am not from USA, but I had never heard of it.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradenton, Florida...

USSF used the facility for its in-residence boys teams for a long time.

blissett repped this.
  15. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet! Tournament!

16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly how FIFA determines the Teams 15-177 for their official FIFA Women's World Ranking.

17. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Last I heard, they're probably going to be moving this to the United States.
    I stated this up above.

18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    And there it is. Glad to see it is official.
    Should be no threats in Florida going on in June.
    The tournament should have been there the entire time.
    FIFA and their desire to host these tournaments in shiddy territories.

19. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Exactly, and that's more important than a CONCACAF U-17 tournament.
    So I figured, why not?

20. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    jackdoggy and Airox repped this.
  21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    what are the rules for the june player lists? do they have to use the identical nicaragua rosters? or can they bring in a now healthy player?

the u.s. had several players who didn’t make the original team because they were still recovering from injury. [other teams probably had as well]. i have no idea if they are healthy now, but if they are, i’m wondering....

TimB4Last repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some additional information, though nothing about the roster rules:

The competition will pick up right where it left off, with nine games to be contested between June 6-12 at the IMG Academy Soccer Stadium.

The resumed competition will feature only two teams in Group [A], which completed two rounds of games in Nicaragua, eliminating the hosts and Puerto Rico, therefore those two countries will not come to Florida. Only one match day was completed in the USA’s Group B, so despite the USA’s rousing 4-0 win vs. Costa Rica that put them atop the group, there’s still everything to play for.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ld-in-bradenton-concacaf-world-cup-qualifying

From Concacaf:

2018 Concacaf Women’s Under-17 Championship – Match Schedule

Wednesday, June 6, 2018
    17:45 Costa Rica vs Canada
    20:00 United States vs Bermuda

Friday, June 8, 2018
    15:30 Mexico vs Haiti
    17:45 Costa Rica vs Bermuda
    20:00 United States vs Canada

Sunday, June 10, 2018 – Semifinals
    17:30 Group A Winner vs Second Place Group B
    20:00 Group B Winner vs Second Place Group A

http://concacaf.com/en/under-17s-wo...-under-17-championship-to-resume-play-in-june

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  23. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Under-17 Women’s National Team vs. Bermuda
    2018 Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship – Group B
    IMG Academy Stadium; Bradenton, Fla.
    5 p.m. ET (go90.com)
    June 6, 2018

June 8 USA vs. Canada 5:00 p.m. ET go90.com

sitruc repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected, the rules allow roster changes, at least for injury:

Forward Payton Linneham has been ruled out of the U.S. Women’s Under-17 National Team roster for the remainder of the Concacaf U-17 Women’s Championship due to an ankle injury. U.S. U-17 WNT head coach Mark Carr has added forward Reilyn Turner to the 20-player roster.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ncacaf-womens-championship-qualifying-bermuda

25. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Linneham was arguable POM in the Costa Rica game. She will be missed. I don't know the replacement.