Tyler Deric

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 17, 2017.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Most of the other conversation about this was in the Portland game thread but I decided to start its own thread.

Earlier article:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...ic-suspended-by-MLS-12324374.php?t=17e8635d55

Today, November 17:

http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/...-Tyler-Deric-accused-of-domestic-12366063.php

There is no timeline for future events in the legal proceedings.

2. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he suspend without pay? If he really didn't do anything could he sue for defamation of character and lost wedges?

seems crazy to me the MLS suspended him. They could have suspended him next season based on the findings of the investigation rather than allegations

3. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    im going to guess the young lady doesnt have a lot of assets to levy in the event Tyler won any type of lawsuit. good money after bad.

4. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was said before... should have left that chick alone after the first one. No pussy is worth ruining your life over.

AcetheTigah and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  5. DeuceFive

DeuceFive Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yes, but was his headbutt 'con demonio or sin demonio'? Really matters in this case since they gave Cubo a hold on his transfer until all was clear from what I remember. At least he didn't use his hands when he was in the box (home) like true goalie form.

6. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    People have been saying this since language was invented, but nobody listens.

7. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true, The Mezzanine bartenders almost did that to me..... some of the guys on here that were around for my fun with those girls know what I am talking about.

Heft repped this.
  8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harris County records show a Chase Joseph Deric was arrested on Dec. 23rd for trespassing without forcible entry and the $500 cash bail was posted by a "John Deric" who lists Major League Soccer as his employer. Tyler Deric's name is listed officially as "John Tyler Deric" . What a mess in that family

Soccergodlss repped this.
  9. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol jesus......

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Meh.

A HPD once tried to arrest me for trespassing because I was sitting on a railing outside of a 24-hr ‘Two Pesos’ at 3am waiting for my dad. The backup cop car and my dad pulling up (confirming my story) talked him out of it because I was doing nothing but waiting outside for a ride like I told him. Trespassing is one of those catch all’s.

11. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    i am pretty sure there are 3 brothers from what I can recall. I played with the oldest Austin for a few years.

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Not sure why people are harping on the contingency here. I think he's done here, at least for the time being. In theory they could sign Deric and deal Willis but my impression of personnel activity to date is Seitz and Willis compete for the 1 job and we either promote an RGV body or draft a cheap kid keeper. Ship has sailed. He could be acquitted or dismissed and I think their mind is still made up. We've signed two players who are veterans with too much tenure to release. We're full. Deric is now a Where Are They Now.

Now, the real question is whether the reformulation is positive or negative. One could argue that while the new corps will be improved in reliability (Deric was often either injured or suspended in recent years), it's a downgrade in terms of quality with the same central backline that allowed 45 returning for at least a year.

People are giving me crap about my offseason angst but besides some option or contract or purchase decisions we're pretty passive and not even necessarily upgrading the previous team. I had last year pegged as a good year and I am getting a blah vibe from this formulation so far.

13. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    case reset again to May 7.

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    JC's Dearest Honey works in the legal field and through the grapevine, criminal court flooded during Harvey, the DAs were moved from the building, at least some courts are moved to other courthouses with hearings that have to be squeezed in with those courts' own trials and activities. If people are looking for a speedy result this is a bad time for it. That and we don't know what's going on in the case itself. Or if he's guilty or innocent.

And setting all that aside, would we even take him back, was that contract story real, and best case they'd have to ship Willis to open the slot.

I would think there would be heavy pressure on Deric to go to trial and win -- and consume whatever time it takes to get there -- because either a bad verdict or even a plea deal would probably be a nail in his career coffin. Anyone remember Ray Rice?

15. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Looks like TD has been put on "community supervision" as of 5/22/18. Since this is pre-plea, my presumption is that if TD adheres to the requirements of the community supervision the charge against him will drop? Anyone with more criminal law experience than me want to chime in? I am civil only.

05/22/2018 PENALTY PROBATION 1 YEAR ENDING 05/21/19
    05/22/2018 PENALTY A FINE OF $400

16. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This case doesn't seem to make any sense, but he picked the worst time in his career to ******** up.... He was in his prime, considered widely in MLS as a tier below elite with room to grow, and easily our starter! He was young enough to grow a legacy, but old enough to be a leader. Now I doubt we will see him in MLS again.

I'd still take him back if he could play today, but no one knows shit about if that can or will happen.

Not on the same level, but this reminds me of Davies career right before the wreck. Dude was part of the future for USMNT young attacking core, wildly popular, fast, and scoring regularly for club and country.... BAAAM stupid decision ruins your career and almost his life. He was never same after.

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    My bet is this ends any chance here. He's not innocent and that would be a hard sell in the new era of taking domestic crime seriously. Decade ago, different story. But I know nothing insider so who knows.

I don't know what MLS' position would be on the suspension. I'd be curious if this lets him leave the state/country for USL teams or anyone willing to take the risk in MLS.

Probation probably serves his long term interests -- if he ever gets his act together -- because in a year he's done with it and after that I think he can even get the records wiped.

18. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I am civil only also. I believe it means that he likely is doing a deferred/no contest plea wherein he gets one year probation and the fine above. You are correct, charges will be dismissed against him if he complete the probation period fully.

Question is how does the league or Dynamo Front Office choose to treat that?

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On May 18th the case was reset to August 24th then on May 21st it was reset to today.

If you look at the case reset forms from May 7, there is a handwritten comment "Daj offer rejected and withdrawn, state to email(illegible) new offer". So this seems like it was in the works for a while. Deric probably knows if he goes a full year without playing he may never get back.

Will Johnson of Orlando was arrested for a similar charge and went into some type of year-long domestic abuse diversion program in Florida and was reinstated after 5 games missed last fall. Would seem to me say July 1st that Deric may be eligible to play in MLS.

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #20 juvechelsea, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    In terms of official announcements, we're split. There might be principles involved, PR downside, and also the risk that the player can't keep his personal life in check and leaves us in a soccer lurch.

That being said, there was the February report we had a deal, and if you ignored the personal and legal problems and risks associated, he would be superior to the current roster options. The defense is not good but the keeping is rarely bailing them out.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The Will Johnson thing might mean he COULD play in the league and will potentially be REINSTATED. But we are officially out of contract and would have to actively SIGN him, with 3 keepers already onboard. So I'd separate out league from team.

I say that, but did anything contractual come of the February news report that we'd signed him. It wasn't on the team site so it is not ex cathedra officially.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to guess that he agreed to plea/no contest with the understanding that would be good enough to be eligible to play in MLS or some other league in the US. Otherwise he is probably done with soccer.

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    At this point it’s not about Deric coming to the Dynamo, it’s about him picking himself up and trying to get another 10 years in this game.

24. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    He's a goalkeeper up against Joe Willis for his job. He's got another ten years easy.

25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think even no contest may scare off a list of teams including us (although our beef may extend to the prior charge and whatever happened that time in Portland where he came out at halftime, and then was rarely used the rest of the year). It's the #metoo era now. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams would only have accepted acquittal.

I would agree that a team with lesser standards might run with it, or USL, and that setting up a subsequent clearing of his record if he behaves for the year may also be to save long term employability at anything.

Some shades of Manziel headed off to CFL, where-ever he lands the onus will be on him to behave, if he doesn't, done. He's lucky he's not getting The Ray Rice, and perhaps that's what he deserves.