No delight here: Tyler Boyd loaned to Sivasspor from Besiktas

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Taking in account the Venezuela game and the level of last night's opponent, he seems to have made a pretty strong claim for a starting spot in a short time. If that's the case, kudos to him for some pretty canny career management.

2. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know anything about the club. Their roster includes Demba Ba, Robinho, Arda turan, Emmanuel Adebayor and Gael Clichy. Weird......

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They finished no worse than 4th in league for the past 6 seasons. They've been doing it with a core of 30+ year old players like those mentioned above in addition to Gokhan Inler and and Eljero Elia. Their manager. Abdullah Avci, who lead their resurgence, bolted to Besiktas. So I suspect there's a need to go younger to sustain those top 4 finishes.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cough, cough....like I was saying back in May....

Boyd waltzes into the team and performs without any prior experience with basically anyone on the team even in youth soccer.....

Previous integration into "the system" is unimportant. Talent trumps all.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe desire + talent: guy playing right now like he's got something to prove. Hope he keeps it up. Haven't seen a lot of his club action, but if he plays like that all the time, he deserves a step up.

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah good point...of course if talent was all that mattered...freddy adu would've won the US a world cup....

I was just kinda responding to the idea that Berhalter seems to have so far that "his guys" are going to know his system better and the ones who have been indoctrinated already are the ones he seems to callup....that prior inclusion leads to successive inclusion...and that if a player like Boyd can just come in and do well....waht does that say about keeping a small # of players in the active pool? is it really necessary to have been taught the system if you are a good player? i don't think so.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah. Soccer is just not that complicated most of the time. Seams are seams, overlaps are overlaps, space is space, the ball is the ball...

The entire canard of the US system/player being a hot-house flower is constantly shown to be silly as new blood comes in, performs or seasoned vets don't make a mark in the system they supposedly know so well. The question with Boyd, for me, is how long he will maintain his tenacity. It's human nature to come in and go hard out of the gate. I hope he "stays thirsty" as it is a quality the US currently seems to lack for some reason.

8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will...that seems to be his playing style from his goal clips in Turkey.

But whatever happens with Boyd the point about soccer being pretty simple for talented players will remain.

freisland repped this.
  9. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Let's hope his tenacity rubs off on some other guys that have looked a little off the pace. I do agree that a simple "system" would be most beneficial for our guys. Keep it simple and let boys be boys. I believe they know how to play, it's just not complicating the game. I am sure that all the caribean teams and probably MX also just go with a simple set up and let the guys play. Somebody defends and some others push up. Keep it simple.

Tom Collingsworth and TarHeels17 repped this.
  10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #185 bshredder, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    I have questions about Berhalter’s system and I’ve written about it quite a bit

But it’s funny that people are using Boyd to criticize Berhalter. Berhalter is the guy who brought Boyd in. He was in contact with him months ago.

The only thing that prevented an earlier call up is that FIFA required Boyd to get a lot of paperwork for his one-time switch. It wasn’t an easy process. His parents had to send away for their birth certificates (one in New Zealand, one in the USA) their marriage certificate (in the USA), Tyler’s birth certificate, copies of his parent’s current and old passports, copies of Tyler’s current and former passports (both NZ and USA passports), etc.

USMNT fans should be happy with Berhalter about Boyd & Holmes. He loves their talent. Both have been brought in very early into his tenure. You can even say both have been fast-tracked.

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #186 adam tash, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    fair enough...I'm very happy and surprised that he has brought them in....

I can't look the other way on players like Omar, MB90, WT90, Zardes, Roldan, etc....he clearly has emphasized picking players he has a history with or who have a history with him or who have "intangibles" moreso than talent.

Holmes and Boyd are the silver-linings that are glimmers of hope but it isn't exactly a "no cloud in the sky" type of vibe from his rosters at this point (I think there could be a bunch of other players like boyd and holmes that are off the radar who could help the team at the moment)...player selection is my only gripe with GB so far (though Holmes and Boyd are his 2 biggest good surprises and he deserves credit for including them)

All over the field it is "his guys" (his supposed euro camp in march was heavy with jan camp players b/c they were already familiar)..and my point in bringing up Boyd...is that...a player doesn't have to be one of 'his guys" (i.e. already indoctrinated in GB's way) to help the team...

all i'm really saying is that ANY player playing well RIGHT NOW...should be in consideration...even if they haven't been called in before. Boyd being example #1 of why. Im more critical of the narrative arounf the team that players need to have a lot of prior experience with the team be in consideration for callups....like the past 2 world cup cycles....people started writing off anyone who hadnt been called up within a year of the world cup b/c it was too late and they hadn't been with the team yet (which i totally disagree with...this sport is not rocket science).

Do you disagree that he has shown some questionable favortism to players he has a prior history with?

Would you grade his player selection as impeccable?

Do you think he is weighting familiarity with his system and prior inclusion in hs national team properly? (I have doubts but there are at least some promising signs that he is willing to adapt)

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    TBF, the criticism seemed to be about the idea that players need to know the system before they can contribute vs. criticizing Beerholder for the call-ups.

It is a never-ending debate: system vs. players - which drives line-up/tactics. The Dutch in particular love to debate it, since they feel an unnatural affection for the 4-3-3. I don't actually know how much Gregg's "system" drives his player selection, but that seems to be one critique.

adam tash repped this.
  13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't BeIN Sports carry the Super Lig? I might be tempted is Boyd stays in Turkey.

15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN+ picked it up. They've been on a tear recently.

17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turan, outside for his penchant for committing felonies is one of my favorite all time players. I'd love to see Boyd playing alongside Turan, assuming he's not playing in the Turkish prison league.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  18. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ooh! Boyd playing for the team I supported the two years I lived in Turkey. Would love to see that,. especially more than Fenerbache.

DirectK repped this.
  20. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Also, on the off chance there are any fluent Turkish speakers on this thread, you should do everyone a solid and teach us the right way to pronounce some of these team names.

Based on chatting with a guy I used to work with who was from Istanbul, I THINK it's:

BEH-shick-tash
    Gah-lah-tah-SAH-rye
    FEH-ner-bah-chay

...which if true means that presenters often don't quite have it right (which wouldn't be shocking)

Anyway, anyone have first-hand knowledge?

21. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Turkish is limited after leaving three years ago, but I think what you wrote is basically correct.

Beh SHEEK tash

Ga lat tah SAH rye

Feh ner bah chay (or che)

Gacm32, Winoman, Deeneaus and 2 others repped this.
  22. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Cool, thanks.

My buddy was a massive Besiktas supporter but had a huge pet peeve about English speakers pronouncing Galatasaray wrong even though he hated them with a passion.

23. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! I will admit I don't get bent out of shape on things like that. Lord knows I was mispronouncing "Bernabeu" for years after mimicking English announcers on old ESPN CL matches. Was quite the eye opener during the three years I lived in Madrid.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm of the mind that the Turkish league is quite decent akin to the Belgian or Dutch leagues though you're more likely a transfer to a top 5 league from Belgium/Dutch gameplay than Turkey.

25. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rabid supporters and a very top heavy league. Basically, the Istanbul teams and then everybody else. Players tend to be older in Turkey as well, as opposed to the Dutch and Belgian leagues. Much easier to get transferred from Dutch and Belgian leagues to one of the top four because they are currently all members of the EU and freedom of labor in the common market. Of course, that applies less to players who are not citizens of EU countries.

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.