Tyler Adams

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Nov 9, 2017.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Elite stamina and pace, excellent tactical nous and ball winning, a great range of play, and good passing make for a standout, CM skillset.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think it is lazy to look at Adams and say, "good motor only". The kid is intelligent. He isn't just running haphazardly all over. He generally is making short bursts to cut off angles, to intercept balls, or to tackle the ball away. He combines fine in midfield. Over the past 12 months he has vastly improved the ability to turn and take space on the dribble. He is very good in the air; especially in midfield where he heads with touch to a teammate's feet more often than not.

That is just with the Red Bulls. He has also been about the only player to consistently play well under Dave Sarachan. That is no small feat...

3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    That is kind of bizarre as he routinely is dominating games in MLS this year. Ask Kellyn Acosta, who was traded after a June game against the Red Bulls where Adams destroyed Dallas' midfield.

All teenagers have holes in their game. But many of the things people said Adams lacked 9 months ago, he now does very well. He has rapidly risen above every level he has played at. We will see where his ceiling is.

Zinkoff, dwsmith1972 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yeah, what else do people want?

5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People need to remember that 19 year olds are expected to get better. Starting off with A-plus speed, motor plus top level want to and brain makes me think that he will be a star, health willing.

dwsmith1972, USSoccerNova and Patrick167 repped this.
  6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So two years ago some of the NYRB brass were saying he was the best American prospect not named Pulisic. I didn't see it. I was puzzled when Dax was traded. I wasn't too convinced with the first months. After seeing him in CCL I started to get a glimmer that this kid might be a high achiever. When I saw him against Brazil he was the best American player on the field. He's only 19 so the sky is the limit.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can be tenacious. His passing is just above average. He has moments of brilliance but also moments of bone-head plays. he is a work-in-progress. He could succeed and be a pillar of a player but I don't think that is assured.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has not dominated the games I saw him in MLS and some of them were very important games where the cream rises to the top.
    The kid is young, has many physical tools to work with, I hope he does refine his game in Germany and one day be the pillar in midfield. I wish him the best.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will contrast your assessment of Adams with your assessment of Parks who you once proclaimed the best American CM ever.

superdave and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said and still say Parks has the best passing ability of all current CM.

11. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A less ho-hum name. I mean, come on, how can you ever become world class with a graham cracker name like "Tyler Adams".

Lookingforleftbacks and MPNumber9 repped this.
  12. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Link? Or are you exaggerating what was said?

LouisZ repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Parks is a sometime starter in the Portuguese second division. It's not credible to claim he is the best at anything.

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true. I haven't seen reports to back it up, but he could be the best shoe - tier there's ever been.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Let me get this right. YOU brought up Parks, not me in this discussion and when confronted about your statement's accuracy you moved the goal posts by saying that he is not credible because "he is sometime starter in the Portuguese second division". Why don't you say because he is sometimes a starter in the first division?. You are trying to discredit the kid for your own purpose. Nobody said he is finished product. My statement still true.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wrong poster.

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Eleven.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  19. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to leave this alone but I guess this addressed to me? Well here is your statement:

And of course you doubled down:

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skillset = passing. I never said he is the best player because we all know he has defensive deficiencies.

21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's being developed at a different spot than he as ever seriously played before now. I do wish he was playing first division ball somewhere, though.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Since when does skill-set=career?

23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eleven Bravo and Patrick167 repped this.
  24. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just did an ep of grant wahls podcast if youre into that sort of thing

TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His passing isn’t good. Especially when it isn’t an obvious pass with time and space. That’s something he must improve. Especially under pressure.

But he has the skillsets be very good and that’s something he can improve.

Not saying he’s the same but watching Adams reminds me of watching Kanté up til this year (he was useless with the ball until Sarri worked with him. Night day from his first few games to what he’s doing passing wise now. Still room for growth). Adams could be a very good player but he has to improve in that area. Especially if we’re going to try and be anything more than a counter attacking side.