Tyler Adams

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If we play both the 2019 Gold Cup and 2019 Copa America (should we be invited, which sounds likely), then we'll definitely need a pool of guys to use. Lichaj is clearly in that pool. We're assuming the development of some of these youngsters, which right now is an assumption. If they develop then that's fantastic. We'll want some experienced vets in the mix as well. Neymar against Olosunde? Good luck.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who mentioned Olosunde?

I'd be perfectly fine with this for example

Gold Cup: Yedlin, Lima/Rosenberry/Polster at RB, Garza, A. Robinson at LB
    Copa America: Chandler, Adams at RB, Vincent, D. Acosta at LB

Zinkoff repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Olosunde wasn't mentioned as a firm candidate for a tournament.

Gold Cup: Villafana, Lima, Polster, Hollingshead, Remick, K. Acosta, Sweat, D. Acosta, Nagbe, Adams, Rosenberry

2019 Copa America: Players from the non-big leagues of Europe plus whoever emerges from the GC

2020 Copa Americas: Yedlin, Chandler, Villafana, plus whoever emerges from the 2019 Copa.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    All I'm saying is you guys have a number of question marks that you've chosen over Lichaj. He's not 32. He's a 28 year old that's now played almost 250 games. Those games have predominantly been in the Championship, but that still means something.

I'm as big of a Hollingshead fan as there is, but what exactly has he shown to indicate he's a better option at fullback than Lichaj? I can't possibly imagine.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Lichaj was passed over by both JK and Arena. Seems he has some question marks.

Per my outline, however, he would get a shot in the 2019 Copa. GC should be for MLS/LigaMx players. Maybe throw in a fringe lower leaguer like Gboly, Morales, or Holmes.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The one drowning right now is Tyler Adams. I would like to see Tab abandon the youth program guideline of a 4 man back line and put Adams at wb, both left and right, in Jan camp where hopefully we can develop the incipient Olympic qualifying team - European teams are very unlikely to release their good players for Olympic qualification and that has meant no Olympics in 16 and 12 - the Klinsmann years. Of course we are all still scratching our heads as we ponder why there is a gap in that age group in our playing pool.

Every youth team seems to have struggled with outside backs, wingers and now that we have one who could get us qualified for Olympics, we are trying to move him to cmid.

Zinkoff and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Suggesting moving someone for Olympic Qualifications is a different argument than gainsaying his achievements at CM at Senior club level.

As things stand, for Olympic Qualifying, we have a solid FB pool of Adams, Farfan, and D. Acosta, and Reggie Cannon.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I been asking for him to be tried at LB. Hopefully, we'll see that happening soon.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't really understand how Tyler Adams is "drowning."
    He's an 18 year old that's just finished playing his first full pro season.
    And he did so at a level that earned him a USMNT cap.
    He's so young that he's eligible for our 2019 U20 cycle (as is Jonathan Gonzalez).

Let's see how he develops in the coming years for NYRB before making a decision about which position he'll play for the USMNT.

And its fantastic if we build up depth of young and youngish central midfielders within the US program. They'll all have to push each other to develop more and more in order to get USMNT opportunities. Injuries, suspensions, club form, etc. come and go. We'll want and need the depth. If Adams is developed as a fullback at NYRB. That's great. If he's developed as a CM at NYRB. That's great. I think he'll move to Europe relatively soon, and so then we'll also see what happens then.

I don't understand this desire we have to pigeonhole players into certain positions at young ages. Let them develop and then we'll see.

10. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Twellman reporting that Adams could be available for free this summer. If that's the case, he has to be sold this window.

He just deleted the tweet referencing it.

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams and Almiron? I find the phrasing interesting. I've been told MLS doesn't interfere with transfers anymore. This suggests MLS HQ is still the one deciding who goes for what, not teams.

Zinkoff repped this.
  12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just because MLS wants fans to follow and support individual teams...and have that single-club-driven interest be the dominant guiding and compelling reason why people follow MLS and spend money on all things MLS....it doesnt mean MLS isnt a single-entity entertainment corporation and that franchises really are franchises of MLS in every sense of the word in the same way that mcdonalds or starbucks has franchises. every fan of any MLS team isnt really a fan of that specific team as much as they are really a fan of the league as a whole (whether they realize it or not) could you imagine someone being very loyal and heartily supportive of a specific mcdonalds over another mcdonalds??? i cant, personally, ...but thats what its like when a fan likes one MLS team over another.

MLS clubs are not autonomous entities in any real sense even though that's how MLS wants to portray them. (because they (rightly) believe that such a portrayal will maximize fan interest and involvement in their economic venture) fans spend more when they care about and support a specific team and thats the only reason that MLS is structured and marketed the way it has been.

in other words.....all mls clubs should just change their names to mls1, mls2, mls3, mls4, ....mls22. etc.....instead of these cutsey names like crew, wizards, fire etc. with city names attached as if mls cities are actually competing with each other for anything in a profit-sharing, centrally-controlled business wiht 20 soemthing different branches. aka "teams"....but if they did that....fan interest wouldnt be as high....even though the names of the clubs would be more authentic. An advertisement for a game between MLS17 vs MLS 13 wouldnt sound as appealing as a game between "atlanta united" vs "dc united".

13. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How does a player with offers make a move? I know it has been done. To hold back anybody that wants to leave your employ is almost slavery. What radical action could either of these guys take? Is there any complicity between MLS and USMNT?

14. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Almost. Other than the fact that they are compensated at a mutually agreed upon wage under a contract that they willingly entered.

Mahtzo1, Grumpy in LA, majspike and 3 others repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is, legally, single entity usually acts as a clearing house.

They could easily allow teams to run themselves individually within the rules and act as a clearing house while single entity remains fully intact.

If NYRB rejected the offer, fine, clubs do that all the time. If ATL wants to hold out for 30M for Almiron, cool. That's not the case here. This is Garber handling transfers/bids instead of the teams. It has nothing to do with single entity. This is rather the league deciding to go well beyond what single entity entails and essentially having a single, collective FO. And that compromises competition.

I mean, why even call a team's GM? The only GM who matters is in Manhattan.

16. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know Garber directly handled/rejected the transfers/bids? Would be curious to see what the media is reporting on that. The media reports I have seen assert that NYRB rejected the $5 million offer.

http://theunderdogsports.com/two-multi-million-dollar-transfer-offers-mls-players-rejected/

onefineesq repped this.
  17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An Unpaved Road and Bob Morocco repped this.
  18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was watching Coutinho working in the fields in Liverpool just the other day. When will England stop slavery and allow him to migrate to Spain?!?!

Bob Morocco repped this.
  19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wording in the tweet said MLS rejected two bids. Not ATL and NYRB rejected two bids. Then in the first paragraph of your linked article, it also says

According to MLS commissioner Don Garber, a $15M offer for an Atlanta United player was recently rejected by the league, while a $5M offer for a New York Red Bulls players.

Second half of that sentence grammatically doesn't even make sense.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Meanwhile, applications for new franchises find NFL represented
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/29/four-finalist-cities-named-next-two-mls-expansion-teams

and, ofc, Sacramento bid is from NBA owners, principally. Looks like MLS' future will be cramped by the ugly stepsisters for some time. Blank (co-founder HomeDepot)has been surprisingly contemporary down in Atlanta. There used to be an old saying that you could go to an NFL game and see what fashion looked like 10 years ago. I guess Garber can't shake these old dinosaurs.

Nashville
    • John Ingram – Chairman of Ingram Industries Inc. and CEO Nashville Soccer Holdings
    • Wilf Family – owners of the Minnesota Vikings
    • Turner Family – Managing Partners of MarketStreet Enterprises
    Sacramento
    • Kevin Nagle – Managing Partner of Sac Soccer & Entertainment Holdings and Minority Owner of the Sacramento Kings
    • Jed York – CEO of the San Francisco Forty-Niners
    • Mark Friedman – President of Fulcrum Property Group and Minority Owner of the Sacramento Kings, and other limited partners.

21. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Would not a player with a chance to move at quite a lot more money than he is making, which would go back into his club's hands, be happily passed on to another entity? If you wanna make money, MLS, this is pretty simple.

22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Welcome to journalism/reporting in the 21st century.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    MLS is a single entity, MLS has an office that handles transfer negotiations, if a club tells that office that they are not agreeing to the sale then the offer has been, "rejected by MLS".

The question is who in MLS made the decision to reject the offer and we don't know that.

Also it wasn't Adams it was Kemar Lawrence that a Chanpionship Club came in for.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget it. Nuance escapes those who have an agenda to push.

25. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was curious what would happen once the beat reporters started reaching out to sources. This is the latest I saw on this:

Expanding on what was written before and is now being reported by a few sources, RBNY rejected the offer due to uncertainty of Lawrence gaining his work permit. Jamaica currently sits 54 in latest FIFA world rankings. Top 50 nations can automatically get work permits in England.

onefineesq repped this.