Tyler Adams

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Nov 9, 2017.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahahahah well played. Didn’t even catch the fact that I used the wrong word twice.

2. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t worry. Using the wrong thing in the wrong place could always land you a gig as an international manager.

btlove and uniteo repped this.
  3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well played

btlove and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obviously a reach by me but I can't remember him ever making so many long diagonals in the air before. It got me wondering if GB had a talk with him about what he could improve on. I liked the players he picked out but I thought his long passes in the air were too high but if he keeps working on it and gets more zippy lower passes he will have added what GB wants from Bradley and Trapp to his arsenal and there would be absolutely no reason for him not to be first choice at that role then.

Patrick167 repped this.
  5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think it probably was his club coach and it may have been specific to the particular game.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    In any event, do many posters believe that TA isn’t as promising a long passer as WT/MB?

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the all touch and I didn't really see long diagonals in the air from him. I watched the game as well but long diagonals didn't stand out to me. He had a couple of long balls early in the match, one was more of him being under pressure in his own end and lumping it forward while the second was trying to get it to someone. Then tried a few chips over the defense later in the game. The assist was one that you don't need a manager to tell you to do. It was wide open and set up perfectly for a right footed player without having to worry too much about trajectory or even weight. Just hit it at the forward and let it curl in the gap. It wasn't like RBL needed long diagonals, they won 5-0.

His strength is his quickness in speed and thought. He just gets his foot on the ball before the other player and is able to direct it in a positive direction. He is very, very good. I think the main reason he isn't at 6 for US (now) is that the combination of players resulting when using him as hybrid RB is better in the eyes of GB than having him as 6 but with less dynamic players on right. It will eventually change.

8. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    I'd wager, at this point, Adams does absolutely zero to impress the USMNT as RBLeap play at such a higher level than our Nats it's laughable.

9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    tyler falls directly into the conundrum just about every national team manager faces: play your best overall xi players or play the best xi based on each position

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think that's quite accurate, because the players displacing him as the #6 aren't in the best XI, and the guy he's displacing at right back probably is. The issue here seems to be one of Berhalter's own creation.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to agree and even if Yedlin isn't best XI then there are a few other upcoming right backs who will soon be.

12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    well that remains to be seen of course once we stop with the scrimmages

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Are you implying that WT/MB are better at the deep-lying 6 than TA?

14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    nope. implying we have no idea if Berhalter experiments with adams when the matches count

striker and DHC1 repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May also depend on when GB think matches count. GC or WC qualifying?

dougtee repped this.
  16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    I have no knowledge of course but would imagine for someone like Berhalter who played for the national team the matches start counting when you need to beat el tri, so probably the gold cup?

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'll call it now. When we play mexico, formation eventually goes out the window and what matters is who are our 11 on the field vs. their 11. Unless we stick with something really dumb and they roast us.

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Nope. The current USMNT manager is just an idiot.

You have one of the best CM/DM in the BL on your roster, so you play him as a CM/DM. You don't play him as RB, RW, WB, etc. Find someone else to play those positions.

Deep Wilcox and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  19. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    feels like a cop out. maybe adams dominates that role in a way that creates huge confusion for any other side, maybe he doesn’t. if you can’t experiment now when can you?

I would agree that the threshold can adams adequately do this role so someone else less good can play the 6 is bad. however if adams is a man city starter at this new role and we find out by putting him there is anyone complaining? Sure odds aren’t great, but it has been zero matches that matter

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'd have blasted Klinsmann for playing Tyler at RB, I see no reason not to blast Egg for doing it.

btlove repped this.
  21. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idiot might be strong, it's too soon to tell. But he's a career sub-.500 coach and that indicates no genius.

Adams is like Pulisic for the US, IMO. He plays where he's most able to deliver on his skills. That's not RB, in any system, for Adams. So, Berhalter while not being an idiot, doesn't get this.

Gacm32, Winoman and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    All discussion needs to start with acknowledgement that adams is asked to play an unbelievably cerebral version of rb that is hoping to leverage his world class soccer brain

23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but JK wouldn't have a tactical reason why he was doing other than to get the player out of his comfort zone. Gregg has a plan.

24. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Ok with that logic, why not play Pulisic at that position? See how ridiculous that sounds?

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The worrying part is that plan could be to make sure that eithe WT or MB have a central role in the USMNT.

They simply aren’t as good a player as the alternative