Tyler Adams

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Nov 9, 2017.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #601 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    TA talks about the gimmick role. Sounds similar if not as concerning as Reggie Cannon's feedback which ended with "...It’s just something that is gonna take time to adapt to and for me, a lot longer than a month."

“Luckily enough, I’ve had Skype calls with Gregg to try and go over the tactics, but it’s definitely tricky,” Adams told reporters on Tuesday. “The times I’m in the midfield, the times I’m not wide in training … I’m a midfielder, I’m training as a midfielder. It’s a regular [No.] 6, almost, and you find yourselves where the rotations of those three wide guys are so crucial.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...ains-his-approach-tricky-new-fullback-role-us

A lot of complexity and a lot of potential transition-vulnerability risk if everyone does not rotate correctly.

What exactly is the reward for the added complexities and risks? I just don't see any useful upside.

2. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I've mostly seen lots of complaints against Trapp and Bradley being included at all. I have seen lots of conspiracy nonsense and little attempts to understand and discuss what is actually being proposed and why.

There have been some tactical, system discussions but they have been few and sporadic.

3. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Mostly I think you guys are such stick in the muds. LOL As a fan of soccer, how are you not looking forward to seeing how this plays out? Its interesting in an otherwise meaningless friendly.

4. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    The upside is that it might maximize the player pool better. It may allow Adams to play in a role where gets a chance to penetrate, be involved in the attack and counter press and be disruptive. It could be pretty cool. It may be a disaster.

For me as a fan - it's just an entertaining idea that I want to see what happens.

5. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talking to yourself?

6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    What’s not logical is that it appears the USSF is pushing a system where where we have no natural person for the most important position and the leading contenders are so far from being elite, it’s incomprehensible.

A logical argument can be made at Chelsea because they have an elite regista - I still think it’s a bad idea but they have a perfect player for the position.

7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I crave debate too! Absolutely crave it.

Why do we force a 6 at all like it's demanded by law? Why not stick WM and TA in midfield, and they can play off each other, one sitting back when the other moves forward?

Play a system that maximizes strengths of available talent, not one that demands the necessary 6 will be your worst player?

TA still gets forward as an 8 with WM, and a lot more than he will as an RB.

kickin365 and Patrick167 repped this.
  8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    the reward is MB90 or WTF get to be instrumental till 2022. Say it aint so Gregg.

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think the current thesis is that a double pivot would have neither the long passes nor a 90%+ completion percentage (of which 90% are extremely safe side and back passes) from the CMs.

btlove, Patrick167 and yurch10 repped this.
  10. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Do we really need to have a "controlling" 6 in the game when John Brooks usually occupies that space when he has the ball and is one hell of a passer between lines.

11. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    I feel bad for the kid.

12. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Didn't we use 90 percent completion and long diagonals from MB in the same position during last Hex? Or was he simply not encouraged to play those long diagonals. I'm satisfying my craving right now.

btlove and Patrick167 repped this.
  13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think it’s crazy and neither like the system nor like MB/WT in that role but the question was what is the logic.

We didn’t not play a regista during the last Hex, probably because we didn’t have an elite regista then nor do we have one now.

14. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Because this makes too much sense. When you are a tinkerer, you have a burning desire to put some kind of personal stamp on what is going on on the field. Somehow you are not fulfilled by just managing the talent at hand. What you suggest is perfect for the players you mentioned and def what should happen. Then where is the fulfillment for the tinkerer? Also consider DY. He also is part of the adjustment equation. And where by TA is, imho, more able to adjust, DY is being thrown into strange places. He is not a midfielder. So now you have two guys essentially out of position. I want our guys to win, but these moves do not set them up to succeed.

btlove and yurch10 repped this.
  15. CA23

CA23 Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Did you think Lima only getting the ball outside was by design or is it possible that he just feels more comfortable there because he is normally a rb? I think Adams will have more freedom and also feel more comfortable receiving and playing the ball more centrally.

Pragidealist repped this.
  16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I don't know. The media just goes along with this fairy tale that Lima was a CM that was instrumental to the play. He wasn't. But since none of them can watch the game or analyze anything, nobody thinks to ask GB if Lima failed to do something or not.

Since nobody asks the coach, we can only suppose. If a player almost never is involved in 180' but is brought to the next camp to teach Adams, it must have been by design that he was a decoy.

bsky22 repped this.
  17. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    But again, Tyler has defensive duties, and those are in the back right corner of the team's formation. Say what you will, but it still comes round to the fact that Berhalter is taking a pretty good midfielder and sticking him in defense. If it really doesn't matter where he starts, then why not create a more free floating position for him in the middle of the park? From there he could get involved in everything.

bsky22, kickin365, honest trade and 4 others repped this.
  18. Force11

Force11 Red Card

United States
    Dec 24, 2018
    Just add Tyler Adams to the long-list of players who have to be moved out of mid-field so Michael Bradley can have relevance.

Woodrow, yurch10, btlove and 2 others repped this.
  19. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    The trend seems to be ball winning mids that can press high and not allow the half turn. Chelsea switched from Kante (ball winning midfielder) to a regista type in Jorginho. It hasnt gone well for them. They will likely be in Europa next year.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  20. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    That’s what I keep trying to explain to my friends when I tell them that Tom Brady should start at Offensive line, so that the offensive lineman can play wide receiver, so that they can make room for the 3rd strong quarterback that I like.

It might be a disaster but it could be pretty cool!

bsky22, Patrick167, yurch10 and 2 others repped this.
  21. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I think his influence on the attack is overstated. He possesses a cultured left with range and his decision-making with the ball is near-pristine, but he’s not an elite attacking CB because he has slow feet. He lacks the quickness to dribble past eager pressing forwards and he doesn’t switch between left and right foot quick enough. Great possession CBs do not pass back to the keeper as much as he does.

That said, I still think that Brooks is our best CB currently and that Wil Trapp is a bum.

22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that 90% completion rate would eliminate Pirlo who is considered the benchmark for a controlling midfielder. ;) Of course peak Busquets also only averaged 5 long balls per 90. ;)

FeedhimtothepigsArold and DHC1 repped this.
  23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    There are only 2 reasons for this.

1 - Adams is push out wide in order to get MB/WT on the field

2 - GGG is experimenting, but this is a pretty DUMB experiment to begin with. It's not like we have a f****cking Kante on the team.

24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I’m going to give the kid a chance with the senior team before counting him out. Team chemistry is key.
    I’m not too worried since the US has never had a player that is better than a journeyman so giving kids a chance to prove themselves at the national team level works for me.

25. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Well we kinda do have a lesser version, but he's playing RB.