Tyler Adams - the best non-Christian Pulisic prospect in the USMNT pipeline

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scoachd1, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How good is Dax McCarty? Ask Sacha.....

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone is well aware of how good Dax is. He is one of, but not the only, reason(s) we've been dog poop so far. Bringing him back would not be the magic fix. He's one of my all time Metro favorites and I still approve of the trade.

deuteronomy, dwsmith1972 and Marko72 repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Dax wouldn't solve the lack of productivity up top. Veron is a problem. Grella being injured is a problem. The list goes on.

Adams really wasn't supposed to be the starter this year, right? It was supposed to be Sean Davis.

Folks are really making prognostications on Adams' potential way too soon. They whine all the time that MLS coaches don't give young players opportunities. Then when they play the young players and they make the inevitable mistakes that young and inexperienced players make..................they start criticizing their games. Everybody needs to calm down. Just as a point of comparison I can report as a Dallas fan that Dax McCarty wasn't Dax McCarty on Day 1 of this MLS career. In fact, during his first year in MLS he played in three games. That was when he was 19 (he left UNC after his sophomore season I believe); older than Adams is now.

4. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dax does solve the problem because he frees up Sacha so Sacha can create. There is no creativity right now because of the extra work Sacha is doing

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respectfully, forcefully and completely disagree with this assessment.

Also, Adams was one of the best 2-3 players on the field vs. D.C. Great game from him. All of our young guys have been playing well actually. It's the vets that haven't been pulling their weight (save Robles).

dwsmith1972 and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I'm sorry I don't think you are being very clear. It sounds a bit ambiguous. Can you please say how you really feel? ;)

7. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Or your vets aren't playing well because they are doing extra work covering for the inexperience of the younger players......

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I respectfully and completely disagree.

It took Collin until a week ago to play like he's ever seen a soccer ball, Sal Zizzo can't defend, and Perinelle looks his age. Our rookie CB Aaron Long has been our best and most consistent defender.

Royer can't hit it the broadside of a barn. Veron and Grella are injured. Sasha has been completely MIA. So much so that Marsch had to have a discussion with him this past week about his movement off the ball. And as Sasha goes BWP goes.

Marsch was trying out this new formation which...well let's just say he didn't go back to the 4-2-3-1 because we started the season on fire. I take that back. We were on fire. It was a dumpster fire.

So despite all of that our stats in midfield have looked very good...because our kids can play the game. MOTM vs. DC was Alex Muyl. Another young guy who has been very good since opening day. You could convince me to be a little critical of Etienne but that's about it.

Defending and finishing have been terrible. Midfield has been the strength. So this narrative of Dax/Adams as the main culprit simply doesn't work for me. We were winless through lord knows how many games at the start of last year while Marsch was trying out a new formation. Dax was a part of that team and no one was calling him out for our inefficiencies. Then we switched back to our preferred formation and ended up winning the East. History repeating itself?

deuteronomy and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  9. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with @kokoplus10. While Adams made some understandable positional mistakes versus Orlando, he rebounded with an excellent game versus DC. His technique/touch is fine. His poise and passing is good and his ability to cover an extraordinary amount of ground is extremely impressive. There will be ups and downs but he has played well enough to keep the otherwise promising Sean Davis (who filled in admirably for Dax during a 6-7 game stretch last year without any drop off in team performance) on the bench with little in the way of controversy. Some of the issues seem to be rust-related as well.

At this point last year the Red Bulls were 1-6, sitting on 3 points and dead last in the entire league and of course they went on to win the East. They are 3 points off the lead at present. Dax was my favorite player not named Henry throughout his tenture and while I was bummed and remain bummed that he was traded (though I also understand it), he is hardly the issue. I am fully in favor of the young guys getting plenty of PT even it it means ups and downs along the way.

Sacha's issues have nothing to do with having to cover for other players or drop deeper. Quite the contrary. His issues IMO have more to do with (a) Marsch's 4-2-2-2 experiment forcing him off to one side and not underneath BWP, and (b) rust/lack of general team cohesion. Grella's absence is a pretty big loss. Though he isn't beloved by everyone, he is fluid within the system and a calm, confident presence on the ball. When RBNY had Grella and Sam on opposite flanks, they served as skilled, creative hubs who helped maintain possession enabling SK to roam in ways underneath BWP which created different gaps and passing lanes. While Royer is a fine player in many ways and while Muyl/Etienne bring different strengths, none bring what Sam and Grella did in terms of the ability to hold the ball, beat guys off the dribble and open up different lanes for teammates.

I still don't get the Sam trade.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  10. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #110 Footsatt, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    I have only seen Adams in a few minutes of highlights, but since this thread is about developing MLS players either here or elsewhere, here are my thoughts.

ANSWER 1. 20th seems right to me, but the top in Europe are not the best for USMNT players to develop either.
    1. Spain - Has there ever been a USMNT player developed out of Spain? (maybe Jozy is it)
    2. Germany - Good for development with many examples of young US players developing and becoming contributors
    3. England - Mixed bag of success. It seems currently most of the young US prospects are loaned out. Is this good or bad for the USMNT? We will find out.
    4. Italy - Again, have we ever had a US player developed in Italy? I can't think of one.
    5. France - Same as Spain & Italy
    6. Russia - Same as Italy, Spain & France
    7. Portugal - Same as Italy, Spain, France & Russia (except for Freddy Adu)
    8. Ukraine - I have no idea
    9. Belgium - I think it helped Klejstan (he was 24) anyone else?
    10. Turkey - See Portugal
    11. Czech Republic - Same as Italy, Spain, France, Russia & Portugal
    12. Netherlands - Miazga currently here and others have spent time here.
    13. Greece - Adu & Johnson (26, not a youth) spent time here, anyone else?
    #? - Mexico - lots of guys in LigaMX
    Skip to Sweden (21), Scotland (23) & Norway (25) - these are the leagues that most of our youth spent time in Europe, and some still are (Emo).

Any way my point is, until most of the leagues show progress in developing US players, the only leagues we are talking about are: Germany 1 & 2, England 1 & 2, Netherlands, Mexico, Sweden, Scotland & Norway. And the last 3 are arguably on par with MLS now or worse.

ANSWER 2. Yes. It's still a work in progress, but all MLS teams have a youth team now that plays in the USL. There is competition for spots even for elite prospects... see Carelton in Atlanta or even Adams who has Davis to compete with. Also, a lot of our MLS developed youth are signing overseas now after they become 18. This to me shows progress... MLS just needs to find a way to keep more of the youth prospects.

ANSWER 3. It's not, but the highest level possible does not always work out in your favor.
    - Zelalem playing in Netherlands 2nd division.
    - EMO tearing it up in Scotland, but can he do it at a higher level? We wont know until he does.
    - Gouch in Sunderland played at the beginning of the season, but does not play much anymore.
    - Miazga's loan seems to be success, at least he is in a top 15 league.

ANSWER 4.
    More money for youth contracts... until this happens MLS will continue to lose it's youth prospects. And, I disagree on the LD comment. One LD level player isn't enough to contend, but maybe 3, 4 or 5 LD level players will be enough.

deuteronomy, dwsmith1972 and DHC1 repped this.
  11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about other teams but Rapids at most loan 4-5 guys out to USL sides (Charlotte and recently Colorado Springs). When every MLS side supporting a full team at USL level, will be a huge plus.

12. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, I should of said "but all MLS teams have a youth team (or are affiliated with a USL team) in the USL."

Here is the full list...
    USL "MLS 2 teams"
    LA Galaxy – LA Galaxy II
    New York Red Bulls – New York Red Bulls II
    Orlando City – Orlando City B
    Philadelphia Union – Bethlehem Steel FC
    Portland Timbers – Portland Timbers 2
    Real Salt Lake – Real Monarchs SLC
    Seattle Sounders FC – Seattle Sounders FC 2
    Sporting Kansas City – Swope Park Rangers
    Toronto FC – Toronto FC II
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC – Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2

USL Affiliates

Atlanta United FC – Charleston Battery
    Chicago Fire – Tulsa Roughnecks FC
    Colorado Rapids – Charlotte Independence
    Columbus Crew SC – Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    D.C. United – Richmond Kickers
    FC Dallas – OKC Energy FC
    Houston Dynamo – Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
    LAFC – Orange County SC (in 2018)
    Montreal Impact – Ottawa Fury FC
    New York City FC – San Antonio FC
    San Jose Earthquakes – Reno 1868 FC

TBD
    Minnesota United FC
    New England Revolution

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Both this year and last year was a matter of players preferred not being available.

Though this year was very much a self-inflicted wound. Besides trying to play a new formation and introducing Davis into the First XI, it would have been easier to move him in to the same formation he was familiar with. Not only he, but the entire midfield and second forward were trying to figure it all out (BWP basically played his same spot, though it is worthwhile to ask if he was supposed to do more/different in the new shape).

If anything, I'd prefer to see Jesse's 4-2-2-2 turned to a 4-1-2-1-2 skinny diamond if he is hell bent on two strikers. At least let Taxi and Zizzo utilize their attacking ability.

deuteronomy and kokoplus10 repped this.
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off the top of my head Tab Ramos played in Spain (don't forget Adu :laugh:) and Lalas in Italy. Can't say for certain whether that qualifies as developed but considering the US soccer landscape at the time I would guess that yes it helped a lot.

15. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The only player in US history to spend significant time developing is Mukwelle Akale.... his future has yet to be determined. Jozy should have stayed longer at Villarreal and earned minutes he'd be a better player for it.

16. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramos - back in 1991 was 24
    Lalas - back in 1994 was 23 (spent 1 year in Italy)
    Adu - he has been a lot of places, but I don't think he played in Spain.

Even if you want to count these guys, it's not saying much for the development of US talent in these 2 or 3 leagues.

deuteronomy repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Now and historically Germany seems to have done the most. England would seem to be the most natural fit but while there have been some big successes there hasn't been a lot of numbers.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was booted out of Villareal--there was no staying longer there.

19. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Pellegrini, the manager who signed him and gave him some game time right away, left after his first season.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet I'm sure many other players convinced the subsequent coach of their worth.

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Jozy was a 19 year old American project and without managerial buy-in he was just a balance sheet liability the next guy needed to get off the books to pay for his signings. Victor Ulloa was going to be released by Dallas and then his old youth coach becomes manager and he turns into a solid MLS player. Stuff like this happens all the time in a business.

deuteronomy, dwsmith1972 and deejay repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also he never been good enough to succeed in La Liga. We've seen the sample size. But this isn't the right thread to rehash that point.

23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I suspect the point of buying an 18 year old is guiding them along the path to being good enough. When Jozy got to AZ Verbeek made it sound like he hadn't learned a damn thing. But you're right, we needn't bring up your traumatic memories.

deuteronomy repped this.
  24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Joshua Perez (US Youth) currently with Florentina (Italy)?

Edit: Yes

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/11/28/josh-perez-us-soccer-fiorentina-debut

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States