Tyler Adams - the best non-Christian Pulisic prospect in the USMNT pipeline

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scoachd1, Mar 27, 2017.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I saw.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As far as I can tell, you've just made the case for a bad midfield performance.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What we didn't see from Adams was a dmid stepping up late to smack his appropriately stationed cf in the chest with a pass turn and shoot - goal - to rob opponents of 2 points and chalk up one for the home side. that is what Dax did this week end.

tbph, I'm kinda worried about Tyler Adams with u20's which is the only reason I turned to this thread - plus he got starts from Marsch. I wonder if we don't have better. The finals are coming up and I just don't see the pluses with Adams.

Tell me I'm all wet.

4. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did not jump 30 feet into the air to intercept passes and disrupt Houston's route one style. So in that way, it is a midfield problem.

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is more likely. Quality homegrown players are popping up all over the place.

deuteronomy and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Which is pretty much what I said...I think. Except that I am saying it will become more the norm rather than just a "golden generation".

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I just rewatched and he was bad. I hadn't seen the entire game. He was very easy to bypass in midfield because he didn't understand how to stay with his mark. He was inconsequential in positioning. RedBulls could have played without him on the pitch and done as well. He contributed zero. I'd be worried if he is on the U20's. Felipe had to move to Tyler's side of the pitch (they were playing dub 6's essentially because no way Tyler could play single 6) to help out on numerous occasions.

He just didn't have any idea of what was going on in the game or what to do.

Obviously this is a very young guy we are talking about who is playing with seniors in a difficult position to play. Young Farfan showed much better for Timbers on Sunday but of course the fullback position is easier to play for somebody just starting out.

Giggsy1986 repped this.
  8. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I just noticed that I read your post incorrectly. i didn't see the period after likely. Eyes are going bad...

Dirt McGirt and Bajoro repped this.
  9. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must be older than sin, you've been on BigSoccer for 10 years. :laugh:

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  10. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Joined when I was 4!

DHC1 repped this.
  11. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    HE DOES NOT HAVE HE BASIC ABILITY TO BE ELITE - Someone please change the name of this thread.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You're all wet.

Tyler Adams is so young that he's eligible for the NEXT U20 cycle.
    He's learning his craft. Kellyn Acosta has improved by leaps and bounds since his first year in the league. Adams has the potential to do so as well.

If all of our U20s are fit and available for the U20s, does Adams start at the World Cup? I'm not sure..................

Adams, like Acosta, is going to develop into a #8. He's not a "DMID" as others have noted. At the CONCACAF Championships it was EPB that played the DMID role. Adams, as a #8, will probably be competing with the likes of McKennie and Zelalem for playing time at the U20 World Cup. He'll make the roster, though.

I just think folks have to be patient with a kid as young as Adams. What were folks expecting? He's an 18 year old making his first couple of MLS starts. By definition he's going to make mistakes.

13. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I'll start off by saying that I don't know nearly as much as many of you about our development system in general or Tyler Adams specifically but one thing I have learned is that players come out of nowhere or drop off the map with apparent suddenness all the time. Acosta was just mentioned by Clint Eastwood. Maybe quite a few of you were expecting him to be one of our better young mids but I am sure that many didn't know or were somewhat surprised about the type of player he is becoming (not yet a finished product). Just look at other sports, Joe Monatana was on the radar as a very good college player but wasn't drafted until the 3rd round! look how he turned out.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Players "come out of nowhere" and "drop off the map" all the time as youth.

I'm sure EPL fans can write a really long list of young players that debuted for a premier league club and then fell off the face of the earth. I was thinking about Federico Macheda (formerly of Man United) the other day. Rodrigo Possebon is another example. These guys debuted for ManU, didn't really advance, and now are floundering around in lower levels of football. Adnan Januzaj debuted for Man United to much fanfare, and is slowly fading from our collective consciousness. He's a role player at Sunderland now. Other youngsters at ManU turn into Beckham or Neville or take your pick of English national team player.

Tyler Adams will develop and advance into an MLS player (with future USMNT potential) or he'll become a USL Player (like say Danny Garcia of FCD) or he'll retire early (like say former Philly homegrown Zach Pfeffer).

Tyler Adams is a prospect. Prospect is a latin word meaning "hasn't done squat yet."
    What he's shown is that he's got potential to be at least an MLS-caliber player. But we need to see more. And we need to give him time to develop before we make any conclusions.

Giggsy1986 and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd encourage everyone to have a listen to an interview he recently did: http://www.seeingredny.com/guests/tyler-adams/

And FYI he was a MONSTER last season in the USL. A man amongst boys. Not just on the physical side (although at 18 he's already bodying up MLS guys without hesitation), but the mental side as well. This kid covers TONS of ground, has skill on the ball, a great passing range and more importantly he's SMART. He's a student of the game who sees plays develop before they happen. Total package. For crying out loud we traded away one of the best CDM's in the league and the CAPTAIN to make room for him!

Listen to the interview. He already sounds like a seasoned pro.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think that not learning the intricacies of the DM position would be a career mistake on his part. He may have played as a roving destroyer in front of a CB playing at DM but that role is not universal.

17. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't care if he was a "monster" physically. When are we going to get over this? Is Messi a monster? Xavi? Iniesta? Neymar? Conte? Pirlo? Scholes? Roy Keane?

Being a monster is not an advantage in this game.

18. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Two things...while he said he was a "monster" he specifically highlighted his skill and thinking as being two of the "monster" qualities and specifically said they were more important than the physical "monsterosity" that he poswesses (to coin a word)".

Also, with all due respect, it is an advantage to be a "monster" physicaly. Not enough to be all important or even as important as some other things but it is hard to argue (in my opinion) that all else equal, being a "monster" is not an advantage. Monsterness doesn't just come in size but speed and quickness but even size is an advantage as long as the other qualities are not compromised.

Bajoro and kokoplus10 repped this.
  19. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Roy Keane was absolutely a monster (in all senses) and I'm glad you added him to your list because he was conspicuously absent from the previous versions. Maybe we'll see Viera, Mascherano, Toure, Gattuso, Davids, Gilberto, Vidal, Van Bommel, and Schweinsteiger also make future appearances in your conceptions.

deuteronomy and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  20. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Do you disagree that these are the players we should be comparing our youth players too?

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I made a point to list center mids who have played in a Champions League final of a type who are notably absent from most of your lists. A type that appears on about every team. Basically I'm against small mindedness and looking for only one type of player, and venerating only that type, ignores the realities of the actual game that requires a wide set of skills.

sXeWesley and deejay repped this.
  22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care either. I care more about the fact that he was a "monster" on the smarts side...which is what I tried (and apparently failed) to point out in my post.

As a 17 YEAR OLD last season in the USL he was a complete monster/dominant in all these areas: ball control, passing, vision, physicality, movement off the ball, anticipation, motor/engine, etc, etc., etc. the list goes on and on. He ticks all the boxes. Not just the physical. Not just skill. Literally all the boxes.

Bajoro, Dirt McGirt and Giggsy1986 repped this.
  23. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Lurker here who was inspired to join conversation because of Adams.

When I first saw Adams, I expected him to be another overhyped big market media product. Outlets like MLS.com and others will cover players in those markets (in any sport, not just soccer) to generate interest and get eyeballs on their pieces. Many times this is unfair to the player and heaps unreasonable expectations on young players.

Adams was unusual in this regard because he exceeded my expectations. This doesn't make him the second coming of whoever, but it does make him interesting.

The most impressive thing about Adams to me was his passing. He has vision and accuracy on intermediate to long passes. He's not just a robot like that either, he'll pick out space with a great ball. Guys like that will create chances. He has the vision of a deep-set Italian possession/attacking midfielder. He has that beautiful soccer mind. He needs to put that mind under pressure and create greatness from it.

The whole "athletic" thing is 100% secondary, tertiary, or quarternary to his soccer brain.

He is a natural replacement for Michael Bradley, IMO...albeit he has to make that happen himself.

sXeWesley, deuteronomy, Bajoro and 9 others repped this.
  24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post and welcome.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #75 Clint Eastwood, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    I think you're exactly right. His passing game, switching the field of play, etc. has impressed me.

The "athletic thing" is secondary................however plenty of MLS homegrown prospects have failed because they weren't good enough athletes. [From an FCD perspective I can give you Bryan Leyva, Danny Garcia, Ruben Luna, etc.] Tyler Adams isn't going to have that problem. He's an athlete with a soccer brain. The US is going to start producing these kids more and more as the MLS academy programs grow. When we do it with regularity......WATCH OUT!

I think I said in the youth forums that I see Tyler Adams' "floor" as Kellyn Acosta 2.0.
    Acosta is only 21, so we don't know what he's going to develop into fully yet either. However, we do know that he's already a capped USMNTer. Acosta didn't have the vision or passing game as an 18 year old like I've seen from Adams. Of course Acosta also was playing as a right back his first season, so its a little apples and oranges. Acosta developed a defensive game first. He had Mauro Diaz in front of him to be the playmaker. Its in the absence of Diaz that we've seen more of Acosta's offensive game, particularly the goalscoring.