Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I’m a biomedical scientist in the muscle area. That’s not really a thing now. Maybe someday. There are MANY scam stem cell clinics and the FDA is trying to crack down on them.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Interesting. I've talked to a lot of people encouraged by physicians to use it. But it may not be for muscle issues, even though they call it a "groin" issue. Is the knee application legit? I even had my renown ACL guy say they were mostly doing stem prp now.

3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I had an osteochondral allograft (cartilage transplant on my femur) - the bone never healed right. I had another one recently and this time took the option for stem cell treatment (something I opted not to do the previous time, instead choosing the far cheaper PRP treatment). I also had an ACL replacement prior to both of those surgeries - my doctor didn't mention stem cell or PRP option (two different treatments) for the ACL repair, only for the cartilage repair. My doctor also mentioned they sometimes do just the stem cell repair (i.e. no surgery) for minor cartilage tears (even for professional athletes) and have seen good results.

Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel I should cut down on my own moaning and groaning.

5. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Ugghhhh, I just have this paranoia that in a couple years this thread is going to be 200 pages of "remember what Tyler Adams was like before he got hurt?"

6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I didn't even share the two other procedures we did as party of this last surgery. It was pretty major work.

freisland and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I guess we could all compare war stories while we wait for Adams to recover. I had my tonsils out when I was eight.

8. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I had mine out when I was ten and missed them so my doctor gave me a stem cell transplant and I got new ones.

9. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    #1334 USSoccerNova, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    I’ll see your tonsils and raise you some adenoids and a deviated septum. If this were war, my upper respiratory tract would be the proud recipient of a Purple Heart and a couple of oak leaf clusters.
    #BigSoccerStreetCred

TimB4Last repped this.
  10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I had my hand run over by an ice skate once and almost lost a finger. How's that one fit in here?

USSoccerNova and TimB4Last repped this.
  11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    iIt's a scam. There is no clinical data to show efficacy in muscle. I am sorry to say that because I wish it was real. Yes, I think there is some clinical data showing some benefit of "stem cells" for torn cartilage in the meniscus of the knee. That is a specific application where the underlying biology is simpler and might be working.

freisland repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Interesting. I wonder if what they are calling a "groin" issue is a hip/joint application involving cartilage. Do they use it for hip cartilage issues as well? I'll have to look around and see if I can find out what the hockey guy was talking about.

13. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    dude has one injury and people start speculating he's the next Jo'B... y'all need this silly season over so you can stop hyperventilating haha

Deeneaus, gunnerfan7, orcrist and 3 others repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Perhaps you should focus on your own health, Angela. You're among friends - tell us what's been going on.

appwrangler and Gorky repped this.
  15. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    woof

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a long-ass injury, though. Makes me nervous.

Tom Collingsworth and largegarlic repped this.
  17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be far the lack of clinical data doesn't mean it isn't working.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Well, if that's the case, sign me up for a free sample.

19. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll send you some over the internet if you can provide me your address, phone number, SSN, and a list of your fears... if it looks like silly putty in a 1980s egg... don't be alarmed.

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got hit on the head by a shotput at track practice. Only minor brian damblage...

VBCity72, superdave, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I had a client one time who had taken off his right index finger with a table saw.

He was a strange guy.

I'll just associate you with that person from now on and forever.

So, you got that going for you.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whatever makes me memorable besides being the occasional condescending dick on here. :p

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    A clinical trial is the only way to know it isn't BS. Beware of this kind of stuff because it can kill you. For example:
    https://leapsmag.com/a-star-surgeon...atients-and-his-whistleblowers-were-punished/
    my strong advice: stay the F away from things not proven clinically. There are too many unscrupulous people who will take your money and might kill you.

striker, appwrangler and Winoman repped this.
  24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally agree but the lack of a clinical trial doesn't mean that it is BS, if you know what I mean.

25. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sign me up for experimental laparoscopic cardiology. Sorry, couldn’t resist the obscure Mipso reference. Maybe the only song ever with those two words in it.