Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised Spain is so low, but most of my experience is in cities with customer-facing people so it makes sense. That, and up until not long ago the second language taught in school was French. Still, though, try to speak Spanish and if they hear your accent many people will respond in English just for practice. I've found a lot of my conversations over there end up with both people speaking their second language because both people want to practice and there's no hard feelings, until one of them gives in.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    it's quite interesting how few Italians speak French or how few Germans speak French or how few Spaniards speak French. Fluently, that is.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, French ain’t the lingua franca no more.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But they're all neighbors. And Spanish or Italians learning French is far easier than learning German.

5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    My experience with Spain is that the more I rely upon my limited Spanish the less things work out. Hell, I struggled to order from a Taco Bell in Zaragoza. Before anyone blasts me for ordering Taco Bell in Spain -- or anywhere -- understand that I was starving because the food I ordered at what turned out to be a German restaurant in town earlier in the day was the worst stuff I'd ever seen or smelled (I did not taste). Even my wife, who knows a million languages and is generally able to communicate with anyone, anywhere, resorts to the slow and loud technique in Spain.

Winoman and TarHeels17 repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Since this has become the language anecdote thread. Years ago I lived in France right after school. Shared an apartment with two Amis who spoke very decent French. Mine was just school French and terrible, so I would only try it out here and there. I decided I would get brave and just give it shot, and as I had to pass the apartment concierge a few times each day, and she was friendly, I decided she'd be my guinea pig. So I tried... and I tried.. and I tried... but nothing. She didn't understand me, I didn't understand her... useless. After a few weeks I was complaining to my apartment-mates that my French was not improving at all - I couldn't even converse with the concierge, and they just fell out: "Dude, she's from Portugal. Her French is worse than yours!"

Now you know how bad my French really is.

7. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #1307 Eighteen Alpha, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    My lovely Colombian wife once tried to order Racist Chocolate in a movie theater. She also can’t say Peanuts without it sounding like penis. ‘I don’t like penis’ has come up in many conversations.
    The best had to be just last month in London when we were talking about what to wear out to a nice dinner. She kept saying es Londres. I would reply, yeah I know but I think sharp casual is fine for this restaurant. She’d reply Es Looooooon dres. I’d say well I’m just going to wear a nice shirt and slacks, I don’t care what city it is. There may have been a few Proseccos on my wife’s side and a few Taliskers on mine, but I finally realized she was telling me she was wearing a long dress. And we’ve been married 17 years.

Edit: and for any Modern Family fans, my wife’s name is Gloria.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If she is AT ALL like Gloria Pritchett, well, hats off.

9. Beasnter

Beasnter Member

Feb 1, 2019
    She’s COLOMBIAN, they’re all good looking lol

adam tash, kba4life1, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    now you alerted everyone to start stalking your page for hopes at photos. Well done :p

11. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Not to throw the conversation even further off-course, but my girl is Colombian too, and I can completely relate to this. It doesn't help that I'm swiss, so I've got my own accent she has to contend with.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Voice-to-voice translation is advancing fast.

In 30 years we'll be able to buy a little collar-like thing that translates what we say to any language and does a good job at it.

Self-learning algorithms are also finally getting to the point where they're doing a not-too-terrible job translating poetry.

Anyone who has read Hofstadter's Le Ton Beau de Marot will understand the deep link between AI and translating poetry.

There's a lot more than just the debate between the literalists, the semanticists, and the sticklers to melody or rhythm.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not fully fit (fffffuuu....)

edcrocker repped this.
  15. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    damn...its like MB give all the good #6s voodoo so he can break the damn record for caps

16. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Tom Collingsworth, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  17. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Hoping he doesn’t miss the preseason.

DirectK...that last bit is very concerning.

18. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    The original 6-8 week timeline already had him missing virtually all of it.

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #1319 TimB4Last, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Ouch! As someone with zero expertise in medical matters, I would guess that rest is the best medicine (and the most difficult pill to swallow). I would also guess that players (and their employers) often try to accelerate the timetable - as we may have seen with Adams at the end of this past season.

Edit: Hasn't a similar injury sidelined George Bello for months?

edcrocker repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dunno specifics but I know a few folks who claim to have great result from stem cell prp for groin/hip injuries - was talking to a guy on the TO plane the other day mentioned it for hockey. It's very new, but apparently as promising as the knee results, but having no specifics on Adams injury no idea if it's even an option.

Winoman repped this.
  21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the sentences you usually form, I'm not surprised.;)

22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shit, best laugh of the day.

23. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did that when I was 12 and it was an amazing experience! The Italians I met then were awesome, if only because they celebrated me scoring the winning goal against them in the park pick-up game.

Winoman repped this.
  24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I left London to hitchhike to Spain, I asked an English friend how to say "I don't speak French". I'm fairly sure he told me correctly, but I misremembered, and so I traveled through France proclaiming to everyone that picked me up "Je ne pas parler le Francais" in what I thought was a pretty decent accent. Well, I was surprised to find out, once I got near Marseille, that I was supposed to say "
    Je ne sais pas parler francais". Obviously, everyone quickly understood that I don't speak French, yet they didn't know what I was trying to say. Nonetheless, the French were f*cking amazing. Cigarettes and wine the whole way. I didn't wait for more than 10 minutes to get a ride. I did over 1200 kilometers in less than 24 hours--including sleep on the side of the highway (I woke up covered in escargot).

USSoccerNova and Winoman repped this.
  25. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by "everyone" you mean "@LouisianaViking07/09".