Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Is the usage something like "getting munsoned" or "that guy's a real munson" from Kingpen? Seriously though, good for Adams for being positive about Freddy.

theboogeyman and Suyuntuy repped this.
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm going to guess quite a few provided CP can make an impact at Chelsea and continue showing for the NT.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Today sure. When soccer is seen all over the US and it's "no longer a sport identified with upper-middle class white girls".

There's a reason why polo and horse racing ain't exactly getting pulses racing from urbanites.

Deeneaus and Winoman repped this.
  4. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    This is a good weekend to watch our young BL guys (would be even better if McKennie wasn’t suspended).

They all should be on “normal” channels.

Haji on Friday
    Pulisic Sat morning
    Sargent Sat afternoon
    Adams Sunday

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Schalke - FS2
    Dortmund - FS1
    Werder - FS2
    Leipzig - FS2

Zinkoff, onefineesq, mace and 7 others repped this.
  6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Polo and horse racing doesn't even play well with the rich. It's only the old money, not the new.

And I'm under the impression you think "middle class" is a much smaller segment of the US population than it actually is. 75 percent of the people in the USA are middle class or higher, and it goes up to 85 percent if you include the lower-middle class.

7. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it all depends on your definitions, but I agree that soccer is not seen as a white girls sport. That was more an issue 20 years ago and frankly is out of touch of what the US is now like for soccer. Any trip to go watch Atlanta or see a DC United match, or heading to a pub to watch Bundesliga or EPL matches shows that it has become a much more diverse crowd (economically, racially, gender, and class)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-ground-financially-to-upper-income-families/

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's fairly close.
    https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0912/which-income-class-are-you.aspx

I just think the meme about how soccer is an elitist sport makes no sense.

Firstly, the breakdown of participation numbers are roughly proportional to economic data. E.g. 65 percent of the population is considered middle class or above, 70 percent of registered soccer players are middle class or above. And with participation rates among more affluent children dropping faster than among less affluent children, the pendulum will soon swing in the other direction. Soon there will be proportionally more children from the lower socioeconomic classes than the upper classes.

Secondly, there's always a debate about US Soccer outreach, particularly in poorer, mostly Hispanic, communities. So, we know those kids have had no problem playing the game of soccer despite Landon Donovan and Christian Pulisic being middle class White guys. The issue revolves around elite soccer training and development, not whether or not those kids are playing the game.

That's not even counting the impact of MLS clubs, the internet, and the proliferation of FIFA on the American attitude towards soccer. Kids have orders of magnitude more access to soccer content now compared to 15 years ago, whether it's a pro team in their city, an EPL match on their TV, a game of FIFA with their friends, or a YouTube highlight video.

The American attitude towards soccer as a "girl's game" is the passe attitude of older generations, not Millennials or Gen Z.

Bruce S and largegarlic repped this.
  9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

Stay on topic fellas.

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to the "WTF" post of the day.

USA-Zebuel and wixson7 repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    "middle class" is difficult to define. Not as easy as say 20-25 years ago.

appwrangler repped this.
  12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's not. We define things based on income and purchasing power, same as always.

It's harder to account for the progress of technology and consumer goods (e.g having a TV in the 50s vs. 70s vs a flatscreen today), but that's getting even deeper into the weeds.

My points are still the same. Soccer is not polo, and middle class is not ivory tower.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I never said it was the same as polo. I said the perception was. If you didn't realize that; then you're clearly not asking around.

But a poster did mention that folks today following soccer are more diverse and others recognize that stereotypes about soccer are grossly outdated.

14. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came here learn. And learn I did!

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you took my comment literally, I'm not surprised you failed to understand what I wrote.

I think we're done here, no? Adams plays Sunday, in what figures to be a good fixture to get minutes against a terrible Fortuna team.

bungadiri repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Suyuntuy repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    we were done a long time ago friendo :whistling:

bungadiri repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Arent Fortuna on a streak at the moment?

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    4 consecutive wins, but it's hard to say how long they can maintain that out of the winter break.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys. (As a social scientist, I honestly love it when a discussion of class in the US breaks out, but I do appreciate the return to the thread topic.)

21. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Typical elitist reaction.

superdave, wixson7, gunnerfan7 and 5 others repped this.
  22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’ll be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

bungadiri and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, Excellency, Shredder has it here:
    http://www.americansoccernow.com/ar...rk-permit-torres-to-nycfc-and-weekend-preview

"….the other side is Fortuna Dusseldorf which features the sometimes forgotten Alfredo Morales. Just a few weeks ago, Fortuna Dusseldorf was in last place in the Bundesliga but the club has won four in a row to shoot towards midtable. Last weekend it defeated Augsburg on the road by a 2-1 score and Morales has a game-winning assist to help deliver the three points. "

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    My comrade. I'll give you a parabellum. :cool:

25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    RB Leipzig‏Verified account @DieRotenBullen 2m2 minutes ago
    Wir wollen den Auswärtsdreier und beginnen dafür mit dieser Startelf Winter-Neuzugang Tyler #Adams feiert sein #RBL-Pflichtspieldebüt! 1 Gulácsi 4 Orban © 6 Konaté 7 Sabitzer 9 Poulsen 11 Werner 14 Adams 16 Klostermann 23 Halstenberg 27 Laimer 31 Demme

In other words, Tyler Adams will start today's match against Dusseldorf.