Two FA Cup questions

Discussion in 'Cups & Competitions' started by tcmahoney, Apr 12, 2003.

1. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    1) What is the lowest-ranked team to knock off a top-flight team at any level of the FA Cup? What level of the pyramid were they in?

b) In the FourFourTwo magazine series on Marine FC a few years back, I caught a passing reference to their coach complaining that lower-division clubs like Marine could no longer host games involving upper-division teams.

I'm assuming that grounds size and facilities are the reasons why, although I invite anyone to expound on this. My question here is: What is the lowest level that a team could be at to host a third-round match with a Premiership squad?

Thank you for your answers.

2. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    I'm answering these from memory, so do not rely on what I say.

a) The "Pyramid" is a relatively recent concept. Prior to that, the last four teams in the Football League division 4 (now div 3 since the Premier League started) had to apply to be allowed to remain in the league the following season. At the same time, any club could apply to take their places. A vote took place and the four teams with the most votes played in the Football League the next season.

Prior to the Pyramid, I can think of at least 3 non-league teams who beat First Division clubs in the FA Cup - Yeovil (v Sunderland, 1948), Hereford (v Newcastle, 1972) and Wimbledon (v Burnley, 1976 ish??).

All three were at the top level of non-league football under the Football League (Yeovil and Hereford in the Southern League - now Dr Marten's - and Wimbledon in the Isthmian League - now Ryman's).

In the early days of the FA Cup there was no professional football, and even after the Football League was founded in 1888 non-members could and would beat pro teams (e.g. The Wanderers, Old Etonians, Royal Engineers etc.).

I think the last non-Football League / Premier League team to win the FA Cup was Spurs (then in the Southern League) shortly before the First World War.

b) I don't think there are hard and fast rules. It is a question of the police and other authorities deciding if the facilities are safe for the number of fans who would want to attend.

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I believe that Newcastle played a non-league club at its ground during one of its runs to the FA Cup Final.

4. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    We played at Stevenage in the 4th rd in 1998.

The choice of venue was fairly controversial - temporary stands were set up to increase the ground capacity.

Newcastle suggested playing at our place, and Stevenage accused us of "bullying".

5. darrenjolley

darrenjolley Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Chorley, England
    FA Cup

Marine are unable to host matches in the FA Cup proper as their ground only has three sides! This is also why they have been denied promotion to the Conference.
    The last top flight team to be knocked out of the FA Cup by a non-league team was I believe Coventry in 1989 by Sutton United. Sutton were in the Conference.

6. stanhad

stanhad New Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks for useful info!
    Please help me with some info regarding first FA Cup Finalist Royal Engeneers. There is a popular photo in Internet, but I cannot identify players there! Help please!!?

7. football123098

Nov 10, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi, are any FA cup games played in July or August?

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are no games in July. For 2013-2014 the Extra Preliminary Round was played on 16-18 August and the Preliminary Round was played on 31 August. These two rounds include clubs at Levels 8 and lower. In 2013-2014 the farthest any club from Level 8 or lower got were two Level 8 clubs that lost in the First Round Proper, which is five rounds after the Preliminary Round that those clubs started in.

football123098 repped this.
  9. Tambling Fan

Tambling Fan Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Back in 1984, the foreman on the building site I worked on played for Windsor and Eton. They reached the 2nd round of the FA Cup, drawing with AFC Bournemouth.
    Their opponents in the next round would have been Manchester United, who lost the game to Bournemouth 2 - 0 after the replay with Windsor and Eton.