Two Cali markets to consider

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by sjsuvc2, Feb 13, 2017.

1. sjsuvc2

sjsuvc2 Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Corvallis , Oregon
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from San Diego and orange county, there are two other cities in California I don't understand why the NASL doesn't try and push for teams. San Diego and orange county I understand why because of the market size with equals potential more $ for TV and sponsors. But the problem with both is you have direct competition with the USL and two MLS teams in one market and now a competitive race to land teams with the other with the same two leagues. I say cut your losses and focus on one but also start to develop a chance to place a team in Bakersfield and Fresno. Now Fresno is supposedly on the list for usl team but there's still a chance to get a NASL in first and Bakersfield is a untouched place from any major sporting teams except two minor leagues. 1 hockey 1 baseball. Just a thought for more west cost teams, as is usl is beating nasl to the punch on expansion into mid major markets. Baltimore just announced today as being a strong bid for usl. Hopefully usl can target other states such as, new mexico, Idaho, Wyoming and one of the Dakotas to start closing the gap between costs

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Does the NASL have interested owners in those markets? "Pushing" for a team might work if the league can find someone but all the pushing in world won't work if no one steps up.

New Mexico, Idaho, Wyoming, the Dakotas??? I don't know if you really meant USL or NASL. Either might accept teams from those states but it would take owners willing to lose a lot of money. The population density in those states is pretty low to support pro teams in popular sports, let alone soccer.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Details.

Fresno has had a PDL team that has drawn well (tickets were free for a few years, I do not believe that is the case anymore). I think Bakersfield may have had a PDL team at one point, but they have had only California League baseball and ECHL hockey in recent years, to my knowledge.

I just have never understood why some folks' idea of due diligence is "I have heard of this market before and they don't currently have a team, therefore they should have a team."

Also, except for NYCFC, leagues do not normally target markets and attempt to shake investors loose from the local trees. They put teams where investors express interest, assuming they tick a sufficient number of boxes.

But perhaps among the 40 or so groups who were interested in NASL expansion teams, per Bill Peterson, were groups from Fresno and Bakersfield. Because, God knows, more NASL teams playing in baseball stadiums sounds like we're onto a winner.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NASL targeting a market and finding investors is pretty much how they got the San Francisco Deltas, but that's probably not a repeatable case.

Bakersfield lost its Class A baseball team after last season, as the Cal League contracted by two teams. An independent league team is starting up in the antiquated WWII-era ballpark. Metro population is 850,000, probably too small for the NASL's ambition, if it still has ambition. It does have a very old 20,000-seat football stadium at Bakersfield (Junior) College.

5. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I have never understood why you don't realize we are just a bunch of fans on a public forum. The only person who posts here who actually does what you want people to do is Peter Wilt, and it keeps him busy enough that he only posts like once a year.

sjsuvc2 repped this.
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I realize it.

I simply have never understood why many choose to remain at the level of "just a bunch of fans" when it comes to thought processes.

This is not just "a public forum." It's a community. One that is better when people are thoughtful. Some of us have seen a million threads that begin "What about (insert market here)? Why don't they have a team?"

You can learn a lot from a lot of people who have insight and common sense and who don't just throw stuff against the wall.

But you choose not to. THAT's what I don't get.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Only tourists call it Cali.

markmcf8 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evan Ream reported in June/July timeframe that there was another group aside from the Fuego PDL team that wanted to come in and put a USL team in Fresno. Apparently USL wanted the Fuego to decide if they were moving up within six months or they might sell the rights to this group. Ream hasn't had an update since then.

9. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Wyoming, ND and SD each have total populations of less than 900K (Wyoming barely has over 500k in the state). Total populations of the entire state. That is smaller than most metro areas that have NASL or many USL teams. Not. Going. to. happen. Idaho could support a USL team in Boise, I think it actually has been talked about as a possibility elsewhere.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In defense of Kenn, I love to go to the mall and scream at kids that Santa Claus is not real and that you are stupid for believing your parents lies.

It is fun, I recommend it.

sjsuvc2 repped this.
  11. sjsuvc2

sjsuvc2 Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Corvallis , Oregon
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a tourist, born and raised in San Jose.

athletics68 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  12. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'tis True. I also call it Cali sometimes as well. And I'm raised in SJ from the age of 8.

athletics68 repped this.
  13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've lived in California for over 3 decades. I call it Cali with some regularity.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it looks like Fresno is off the table for NASL unless they'd want to go head to head with USL in a small market.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As a native California son, I say: For shame!

:thumbsdown:

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh go back to Frisco...

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    NOW YOU'VE REALLY DONE IT! :mad:

18. sjsuvc2

sjsuvc2 Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Corvallis , Oregon
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Fran ? One of the questions I get asked from people up here in the NW is why do they call it THE CITY , they think it's weird just THE CITY .

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think we've had this conversation before but it is not unusual. People in greater New York City often refer to "The City" and mean Manhattan. In Chicago, people say "The City" when they want to exclude the suburbs.

I'm sure it is true other places.

bnyc repped this.
  20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.socceramerica.com/article/73342/nasl-expands-to-southern-california.html?edition=17196

The eight-team NASL has announced a new club for the 2018 season that will be based in Orange County in Southern California. The team’s majority owner will be Pete Capriotti, the owner of Cotti Foods, which operates 177 Taco Bell, Wendy’s and Pieology restaurants nationwide.

The club, which has signed a letter of intent to play games at 10,000-seat Titan Stadium on the campus of Cal State-Fullerton

21. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like NASL lined up a replacement for Deltas once they inevitably fail. Good for them to think ahead.

22. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    Now they are calling it California NASL? Hmmm....Hope they stick with an Orange County theme....

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where you seeing that?

24. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    NASL website

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah I wouldn't read too much into it. Here's the official logo for just the expansion not necessarily the team.

[​IMG]
    If anything it looks like they have a logo for the expansion into California as a whole project. Makes me wonder if more than San Diego for 2018 is in the pipeline. Oakland maybe?