Twellman wins scoring title!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bruce S, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well said. Yes, timing of runs is very impt but most people don't notice this. I think TnT is some kind of young genius at this because he is not SO fast, yet he is always breaking open at JUST the right moment. Teams now key on TT yet, his first step and timing still gets him open. Also, with respect to hunger, Joe-Max Moore set the standard by which all US strikers must be judged. And I would put TT right there with Joe-Max. His work-rate is outstanding.

2. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have to say, anyone who thinks that Donovan is going to be pushed back into the midfield is probably off. Unless he develops as an A-Mid, he will stay up top. I don't think you move a guy that gave you 2 and a half goals at the last WC. If anything, Quaranta moves into the A-Mid role, and Donovan is up top with Twellman. If Bruce is hell bent on having a big target forward, then maybe it is Buddle or Casey.

3. Bresno

Bresno New Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Lynn
    They should deffinatley keep the budweiser scoring champin. Plus add a Golden boot

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I have seen no evidence that Quaranta will be that outstanding. To my eyes, he looks good but just rather big and mature for his age. Johnson also has not yet done much, but his speed, power and skill are scary. He is the one I would bet among the very young guys. There is also an impt difference between potential and getting the job done.Twellman has put together one of the best seasons in MLS history... in his first full year as a D1 pro. Those other guys may do that but they have not yet. That is a difference.

5. NYfutbolfan

NYfutbolfan Member

Dec 17, 2000
    LI, NY
    By 2006, Johnson will be up there with Twellman, if not surpass him. In the few times I have seen him play, his talent has been evident in each game.

The goal he scored against DC was a testament to his skill level. He brought down a chip off his chest and calmly put into the back o the net against an out of position Rimando and made it look easy.

6. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey

Sachin at left back? Are you crazy? That guy sucks.

7. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Come on... who do you want... Sachin or Regis?

On the Twellman line... I agree with whoever it was earlier that pointed out that Twellman has scored at every level of competition against which he's competed.

Until someone stops this guy, I'm going to hope for the best.
    Lets face it, he scored a ton of goals on a team where he was the "only" scoring threat. You don't think other MLS teams were focusing on him?
    That he managed to do it without any real attack partner is scary.

8. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    C'mon... give Steve Ralston some credit here... the dude had 19 assists for the Rev... Without him, Twellman would be nothing... Don't forget, Ralston is the same guy that made Roy Lassister look pretty back in Tampa.

9. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    If it were really important to have a golden boot (goals) rather than a scoring leaders (goals & assists), the fans could step up and create the award. I don't think it's that important. I have no problem with rewarding players who also set up a goals for their teammates.

10. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I'm not taking anything away from Ralston, but he's a midfielder.
    I meant without a true strike partner, someone to worry the defense and maybe make space for Taylor. Ralston has been great setting up goals, but everyone in the stadium knew who he was trying to get the ball to for the goal.

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman is the real thing. Yes, it helps to have a Ralston, but another way of looking at the same data is to say Ralston looks good (i.e., got a lot of assists) precisely because he had a work-a-holic goal scorer to whom he could pass. Twellman got one goal and an assist is the last game with Ralston missing. Granted, the goal was a PK, but he made the penalty happen. The assist was really his goal. It resulted from a fingertip keeper deflection off TT's beautiful far post shot. TT does not run in circles. He runs to create space and opportunity for his teammates, and for himself. I can't wait to seem him play up front with Donovan. They will be the most creative duo the USMNT has ever seen!

On another topic, Casey C., what has he done since his **stellar** (yeah, right) Olympic performance? Wait and see if he ever matures.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it is true that Twellman didn't score 23 goals dribbling through the other team by himself. But it is also true that the Revs midfield will never be mistaken for that of Real Madrid. Even with Ralston( who I think is excellent), I would say that the Revs have a below average midfield by MLS standards. Twellman's service has not been particularly good overall, though Ralston has been the main bright spot. I think you have to give Taylor credit- he has scored some tough goals. Look at the last game- he scored( via a penalty he drew) in a 1 v 4 situation-dribbled 2 guys then got taken down.

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    replace casey with buddle and i think you have it :)

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I don't get it with Thorrington. He plays D3 ball, and was dropped by two good teams. Why the fascination with him? I am quite sure that many MLS players would get rave reviews in the A-league too. When he gets strong reviews from a D1 team, then get excited. I am sure we could troll out names from the lower divisions in Germany too.

15. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Gee, didn't twellman played for a lower division in Germany? Who wouldn't say Thorrington can't do what Twellman did this year in MLS? Twellman is a decent player but Edson Buddle and Conor Casey will get call up over him.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Yes, Twellman did play D3 in Germany. And no one called for him then. Then he kicked ass at D1 MLS and people took note. Since Buddle and Twellman play in the same league and Twellman has had far more impact, what is the reason for thinking Buddle will be the man? AS for Twellman being a decent player... he has had the best offensive season any young American has ever had in MLS. One of the best ANY player has ever had in MLS. Yes, I guess he is decent.

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You obviously didn't see what he did in Germany last year.

18. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    as the top scorer in MLS TT deserves a call up in the next friendly. In his rookie year he lead the league, what else would he have to do to get called up? Score 30?
    Whether he is going to be successful at this level is up to him, but from what he's done he should get called for the US game in DC in November. I think that is close to being made official.

19. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Again, you have to understand one great season in MLS didn't mean you're an automatic call up in Bruce Arena's mind... He looks for certain talent in a player... like i say, I think what Twellman brings are things we already have in our national team... therefore, he's not the call up material that every Revs fan think he is... If you look at Buddle's number per game, you'll be surprise.

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Buddle is much younger than Twellman and didn't really start getting much PT until around halfway through this season. But look at his numbers now that he's been getting PT.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    we have loads of US players scoring a goal a game in MLS, like....

22. InnocentBystander

InnocentBystander New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Boston
    Yep. Having seen all the home Rev's games this year, I agree with those who say good things about him. One thing that strikes me is his balance. He plays with a low center of gravity. Defenders knock him off the ball only by fouling him. It's a style that reminds me a bit of McBride.

But that's the good news... The bad news is that The Bruce hasn't sounded enthusiastic recently. I read a quote in SoccerAmerica recently where Bruce said something like "I saw Twellman play in college and I am surprised he is doing this well professionally. We'll see if he can play well internationally." (I'm paraphrasing).

So, yes, Twellman will get a call-up or two, but it looks like he's really got to prove something to Arena. Kind of a Chris-Albright-in-reverse. Bruce gave Albright lots of chances, even when he didn't show much. Let's hope that Bruce doesn't give up on Twellman without giving him that same number of chances.

23. Short Corner

Short Corner Member

Jun 28, 2001
    No pleasing some people...

Yep. Bruce said TT was the second most valuable player in MLS. He must really, really hate him. No callups for TT!

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: No pleasing some people...

I read the whole interview and thought the tone of Bruce's comments was a little condescending to tell the truth. Like he had always thought TT wasn't very good and had been surprised. Well, as someone above noted, he can add TT to Albright on the list of surprises.

25. Short Corner

Short Corner Member

Jun 28, 2001
    You could read the interview as Bruce admitting he had been wrong. You could also read it as a complement that the player had worked so hard and improved so much. But then one might have to admit that Arena is not the sort of coach who would make up his mind about a player once and for all based on his play in college.