Twellman wins scoring title!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bruce S, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    TnT wins it with 23 goals, 6 assists. First time a young American has won the title. By all measures he is ready and able to go for the USA. PLUS he has a very good work ethic and appears durable( so far!).

2. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone has to start the argument and step in for Carlos Ruiz. Only in MLS are assists added to the scoring leaders, and it's silly. The scoring title should go to the player who scores the most goals -and that is the Fish. He deserves MLS MVP and should be the scoring leader officicially.

3. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    I bet BA will call him into a couple of camps and play him here and there. BA will probably wait till next season to see if TT can produce again like this before Twellman becomes a mainstay on the NT. That's all saying Twellman doesn't completely impress in any NT games.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    same rules for everyone. Should we change the it now when everyone knew the rules?

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    It wouldn't be MLS if we didn't.

I agree that Twellman has earned a callup. Who wants to bet that Twellman v. Ruiz will be a major story during the 2005 Hex?

Sachin

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Ruiz is good but Guatamala usually doesn't have too much of a team. So he will not be getting the good passes Twellman will. The challenge for Twellman will be making the US team and being a starter. The challenge for Ruiz will be scoring without much support.

7. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I still believe Bruce Arena looks higher in Buddle than Twellman. Bruce loves big target... just look at McBride... However, Conor Casey prolly is McBride's successor as the next big target man.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I say he caps all 3 of 'em and sees which ones deliver and then adds the ones that do to the mix of Donovan, Mathis (if he gets his head right), Wolff (if he gets his knees right), McBride (if he holds off Father Time) and perhaps Ante Razov.

Having said all that, there is nothing in Twellman's pedigree that suggests he won't flourish. He scored with the 17s, he scored in college, he scored with the 20s and the 23s, he scored in the German 3rd division and he's scored in MLS. Every step of his career he's put the ball in the hole and I don't think he'll stop doing that at the senior level.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't his 24th goal a pk in the 94th minute of the last game of the season? wasn't it Cobi that was taken down and should have taken the kick? wasn't it a gift to the fish to pad his stats?

10. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    And negate his injury time OFF SIDE goal that he scored against San Jose.

Rules are Rules.

11. cheriffe

cheriffe New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    southern ohio
    When speaking about call ups, please stop mentioning Ante Razov. He is not national team quality. I know he scores goals at the MLS level, but he will never make it on the international stage. We have such a great pool of young forward that we need to work on developing and getting international experience. Buddle, Johnson, Casey......Lets work on these kids and forget about mid level performers like Razov.

12. Brunssen

Brunssen New Member

Jun 3, 2000
    From what I have seen, Twellman supports his team more than Carlos Ruiz in every aspect of the game. He deserves the MVP.

As for national team duty, I believe Twellman would be a good fit for the USA team. He has a tremendous work-rate++++, good skill on the ball (at his feet and holding), fabulous off the ball-Taylor times his runs better than most MLS strikers, he deceptively fast, has that incredible instinct in front of goal, something that can not be said for most of the American forwards playing in MLS. It would be safe to say that he has had one of the most productive seasons in MLS history, and essentially a season following some reserve team football in Germany. That speaks volumes of his ability. Another statistic that jumps out at me is the fact that Taylor is one of the most fouled players in MLS, and, verily- he is among the leaders in fouls committed. He looks a hungry player. If I had to compare it would be a combination of the qualities you see in Joe-Max Moore (Everton) and Alan Smith (Leeds), save the occasional red.

13. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Acutally, to become a mainstay in the US squad you need to perform well for the US team when you play for it. Club performances don't count. If you doubt it, just talk to someone like Jason Kreis. :)

14. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Short-term memory? Guatemala very nearly beat out the US and Costa Rica in CONCACAF's semis ... we were fortunate to win at home against them after Eddie Lewis' red ... Ruiz scored a late game -tying goal away ... they had to have a play-off game between Costa Rica and Guatemala to decide who got to go to the Hex ... and I don't think I need to remind you that Costa Rica did pretty damn well in the Hex. I think Guatemala deserves attention as a major threat to make the Hex next time around.

15. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    One example of Twellman's relentless zeal: In the final game against the Metros, Revs up 3-0, Andy Williams dribbling on the left side, moving swiftly forward. Twellman's runs half the length of the field to pressure Williams from behind, and Williams knocks an errant pass over the end line.

At one point in the game, when Twellman had landed on the ground once again, Tab Ramos came over to him and suggested he take it a little easier, since the Revs were in the driver's seat.

16. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this for 2006

-----------Twellman---------Quarranta

--------------------Donovan--------------

Beasley-----------------------------Reyna

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    This is my prediction:

-----------Twellman---------Casey

--------------------Donovan--------------

Beasley-----------------------------Thorrington

--------------------O'Brien----------------

Sachin

18. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Congrats to Twellman. On a different note, the MLS ROY policies are absolutely idiotic. If this were any other professional sport, Twellman wins the award hands down. Since the ROY rules of MLS are screwed, not to mention the fact he's had the best year of any MLS player, Twellman wins my vote for MVP.

His consistency on an inconsistent team has been outstanding.

Will all this translate into a successful Nat career? I hope so.

19. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who was Arena's "BIG TARGET MAN" in DC?

He really had none (remember, he used Sanneh as a midfielder). Moreno was more of a forward while Arce was more of a striker, neither of whom was a big target man.

Arena tends to have a basic system, but instead of molding the players to the system, he molds the system to his players.

If his best 11 players were all Conor Casey look alikes, the system would involve 11 Conor Casey's

If his best 11 were all Landon Donovan look alikes, the system would look different.

20. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    if ruiz could pass the ball id bet you wouldnt say anything

21. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    How can you compare MLS to International play? Let's just wait until the next call up who Bruce will select... You guys will be surprised that Twellman won't be in it.

22. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    youre just mad he helped eliminate you.... =)

23. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    no no... Rev deserved it... If one team that really eliminated us was DC.

24. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    actually, it wasnt really the revs or dc..it was themselves. theres no excuse to not get a win in situations like those. both the revs and dc were basically eliminated and fought back, the revs makin it and dc barely missing out. the metros were basically in with a really good shot to get the #2 seed and blew it.

25. swissman

swissman Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Boston
    There are a few things that really impress me about Twellman (besides all his skill, blah blah blah).

I don't think he's particularly tall (5-11, according to mlsnet, granted they list Sommer as 5-10!!!!!!!), but he managed numerous times to beat defenders and score headers (thanks to Ralston crosses).

The other thing is that he's always running around, never tired. He runs up and down the field for the whole 90 mins.

I haven't really seen Ruiz play much, how is he at coming back at helping out on D?