Twellman Offside?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by SccrDon, Oct 10, 2005.

1. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need help from the refs here (I'm just a dumb coach) - do you agree with the call in Saturday night's Costa Rica - US game when Taylor Twellman was ruled offside? I did not tape the game so I haven't studied the play - I only saw it from a distance in a restaurant but it looked like a good call from there.

Thanks.

2. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Anyone have a link to the video? I haven't seen the incident yet.

3. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The thread title "Twellman offside" sounds redundant and repetitive. ;)

4. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew this thread had to be coming.

In this play, the ball was crossed in, headed by an attacker at an angle away from the goal, but then bounced off a defender towards the goal, at which point Twellman tapped the ball in the goal.

When I went back to look at it slow motion, I think he was on side. He was running forward with the cross, and looked to be even when the attacker headed the ball. He was in an offside position when the ball hit the defender, but that shouldn't matter.

It was very close, and I can see how the AR could have called it either way. I had to watch in several times in slow motion, and even then I can't be sure. The bouncing around sure doesn't make it any easier, and the AR may have thought it deflected off an attacker rather than a defender, as there were a bunch of bodies in the area.

5. litlewojo7

litlewojo7 New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Michigan
    In the video, I believe the AR is signalling a direction. Thus, he might have been calling a foul on the US. There was a collision in the box where two people went down.

6. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AR called a pushing foul, it wasn't offside.

7. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Right, although to agree with Chris' earlier post, it was very close. The defender to watch on whether Twellman was in an offside position or not is the one who is contending with Oneywu for the ball coming directly from the free kick, on the other side of the six. From my video, it looked like Twellman was just barely on--very close--but the video has a less-than-perfect angle. Could have gone either way. The ball deflects off the Tico defender to Twellman, who continued his movement to the far post, but that doesn't matter for the call--the judgement on Twellman would have been his position when Oneywu heads it, and it is very, very close (so we don't call it, right??)

But, as noted here (and not by the stellar commentators on ESPN-2), the call seemed to be for a foul, not offside. I couldn't see the ref on my video when the restart was taken, so I don't know if his arm was up or not.

If it hadn't been a foul, it shows how tough offside calls are when there is a lot of movement and play in front of the net, with a lot of players involved. The rapid shifts of the ball and players from both sides mean that the AR has to be very quick and readjust very, very rapidly.

8. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I really missed what happened :eek: .

Thanks for the info - just shows again why I enjoy the Referee forum so much even though I'm not a ref, at least not yet.