Tweet on Periodization

Discussion in 'Coach' started by elessar78, Nov 21, 2017.

1. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wanted to share this because rarely have I seen a journalist write about periodization in a way that is both correct and applied to how it impacts team performance. The context of the tweets surrounds Arsenal FC, but it's interesting what it says about performance.

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

3. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

6. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I am not favorably impressed with anything she said. The last tweet is an example, calling 2 days between games any sort of "kind" tells me a lot.

Any discussion about periodization should begin with understanding that there is limited scientific support for it despite it being widely accepted for all athletic circumstances.
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/periodization-history-theory/

Finally it doesn't apply to technical, tactical, or mental aspects, which makes it for practical purposes irrelevant to preadolescent training.

7. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There are lots of other coaches who train teens and beyond. 48 hours after a match of recovery is the minimum required—that's why she says it.

Mourinho is an extensive practitioner of periodization.

Right off the bat, using the USSR as an example of pre/post periodization methods is tainted because they were doping extensively. Doping, essentially, shortens the recovery time, so was periodization even "correct" for the individuals in question?

Which isn't to say that today's professional footballer isn't doping. They probably are.

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #8 rca2, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    My understanding is that the studies have shown adult players need 72 hours after a full match to replenish energy systems.

The problem with the early literature is not primarily related to recovery. Performance gains in weight training in secretly doped athletes (steroids if I remember correctly) was attributed to a new "periodization" theory to organize weight training. This was done to cover up the unexpectedly high performance gains that result from secret drug use. So it had more to do with total strength gains then energy recovery.

Other nations were unable to duplicate the results that the Soviet athletes got using periodization. That is because at the time they didn't know about the secret government-sponsored drug program. So of course they failed to get the same results.

In soccer the types of drugs often used are stimulants during matches. For example antihistamines (illegal) and caffeine (legal). I am not saying there isn't any steroid abuse.

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    She's not saying that 2 days is great. She's saying it's better than a lot of teams get. It's not uncommon for EPL teams to play something crazy like 5 games in 14 days around Christmastime. The difference between a full 48 hours off and something less than that is absolutely a benefit relatively speaking. Everyone knows the schedule is bullshit, but they sold their TV rights for billions so they have do what they're told.

10. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    You are correct. She did not say it was great. From the context of her tweets ("kind" schedule and "well placed" to play a high tempo style) tells me that she is a fan and knows the vocabulary, but doesn't know the sport. I know I am making a huge inductive leap on little information, but that is what I do and why I didn't say in the previous post what my conclusion was.

The EPL teams handle the extra competitions by having large rosters. Roster size is an advantage that Mexican teams have over MLS teams in confederation competitions.