TV shows you watch [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by yasik19, Jan 15, 2007.

1. InsomniacsWaltz

InsomniacsWaltz New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Bay Area,Ca
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Anybody watch the new Dexter episodes?

I personally enjoy the new season cause the last 2 episodes have had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Dexter to me feels like he has evolved he is no longer the same guy we knew from season 1 he has adapted and changed for the better you could say.

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    episode 1 wa sgreat, watching 2 tonight

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    is anyone going to watch that new show called "Testees"?

4. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know. It sounds like bollocks to me :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

5. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Heroes is back... YES!

Have to wait until Feb. for Lost...NO!

6. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    O shit I just had a stunning realization. For all of you that watch Heroes: Separated at birth?!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So my gf and I just finished watching the enitrety of the Sopranos, what a show. I know a lot of people hated the ending(SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!)

but seriously the more I think about it, the more I do kind of like it. And in my mind he gets capped for sure, if anyone wants to discuss this.......

8. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It's the best ending of any show ever. Simple as that, and it just shows what an embarrassingly semi-literate society we live in these days that it was slammed by so many for not wrapping everything up in a neat little package and you know... actually making people think.

I gave up arguing with people who disliked the ending, and now just laugh at them like an asshole. It's easier that way. :)

9. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah I read an interview with Chase and he said(about criticism on the ending), when I first saw Planet of the apes, and got to the ending I was like: Wow they have a statue of liberty too, kind of poking fun at people who couldn't wrap their heads around his ending.

I just don't see how anyone could actually believe Tony lives.

10. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I reckon he probably gets shot, but survives, and the whole thing keeps on keeping on, just without our eyes on it.

Although it was very different, and it's not so much the ending that's great as the whole final episode, I loved the finale of The Wire.

11. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Didn't read those spoilers (don't want to ruin for myself:p), but I'm wondering how would you rate the show in terms of other HBO shows? For some reason I haven't been able to find the time or interest in watching it even though I have the DVDs for the first two seasons.

I haven't really caught up on the HBO programs since The Wire ended :(. Brilliant show. Up there with Oz. Breaking Bad is pretty good to.

EDIT: I perused through http://www.slashfilm.com/ and they have some interesting info on The Soprano's one of their filmcast podcasts. I think you'll find it interesting.

12. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Arrested Development, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are my favorites. Enjoy Chuck and the Office too, although the Office is slipping for me...

13. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Arrested Development is quite funny. This has to be the greatest scene for me from that show.

14. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Completely different genre but I'll throw it out there anyway. I loved the ending of Blackadder.

For a comedy to give us one of the more poignant moments of 20th Century televison is a remarkable achievement, but the people involved were pretty remarkable themselves.

NB Haven't seen the Soprano's yet (never found the time to catch up and I have stacks of unwatched DVDs at home already). People who's opinions I respect love it so I know when I do sit down to it I'll love it too.

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I couldn't finish watching Sopranos, to my surprise that is. Maybe everyone talked it up so much, but after season 3, I just couldn't watch it anymore.

For me, The Shield had the best last 2 episodes.........hands down.

16. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I forgot about The Shield. I only watched 2 seasons of it. Great show though.

17. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Sopranos had a big (but short) lull about halfway through, but worth sticking with it. The Shield I watched for 6 seasons, and some of season 7, but it just got way too ridiculous and I kinda gave up.

How about worst last episode for a great show? For me, the 2nd best pure sitcom, Seinfeld, had the most awful ending.

18. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also, with regards to other HBO shows, I quite like Entourage, and the miniseries Band of Brothers and Generation Kill (which was another David Simon vehicle) are both excellent.

They're doing another wartime-miniseries next year, too.

19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I hated the way Seinfeld finished. Stupid.

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it stacks well with the other HBO shows, I have watched most of of them and in close succession too(meaning lots of episodes in a short time), and for me Sopranos was right there with Rome, The Wire, Deadwood and some others. I'd still take The Wire as the best made of all of them, but Sopranos for me the most entertaining.

21. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seinfeld's ending was awful.

I was into some of those FX shows for awhile, but it seemed like it just became let's see how much we can get away with on cable tv, and I got tired of them.

Im not sure how many shows really had endings living up to their run. I'd suggest all of those not worried about being labeled nerds to give Battle Star Galatica(the updated one) a try out, it's easily one of the 5 best shows I've seen, including the ending. And even my uber skeptical gf of anything scifi was completely addicted to it right up to the end.

I was trying to compile my top 5 shows list(non comedys) and it would probably be:
    24(despite the recent lull)
    The Wire
    Dexter
    BSG
    The Sopranos or Deadwood(which will be settled here shortly)

22. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SPOILERS AGAIN

To me he's dead end of. David Chase said the only hint he would drop was that the episode Sopranos Home Movies was linked to the finale. And in that episode Bobby tells Tony you dont even hear it coming everything just goes black(or something along that lines), and then there's the dinner Silvio is at in which he doesnt hear anything until the guy he is with is already shot and on the ground. Hence last scene Tony doesn't hear it coming, it's just all of a sudden black, and the music stops, which I think was the only episode that didn't end with music also.

23. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It's hard to find any single episode of The Wire that isn't better than 99.9% of any episode of any program ever made. My opinion on The Wire is that it shouldn't be compared with TV or probably even film, but alongside some seriously heavyweight classic literature. Has to get the nod for 'best closing montage ever', probably including films and whatnot.

24. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    BTW, for those of you that I got into Peep Show, the two guys who made/star in it also have their own sketch program, which is imo probably the best sketch show since The Fast Show. A good few have probably seen the first clip, but I threw in a few extra for the sake of it. Brilliant stuff! :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw4JIyepC98"]YouTube - Mitchell and Webb - Watch The Football[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO5WoLnOOlU"]YouTube - German SS officers - That Mitchell and Webb Look[/ame]
    - Best. Sketch. Ever.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik7IzBHWxD8"]YouTube - Biscuit Levitation - That Mitchell and Webb Look[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS_Uvg56U_o"]YouTube - Good Samaritan - That Mitchell and Webb Look[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwXjm64a3QE"]YouTube - Lager Beer - Mitchell and Webb[/ame]

:D

25. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think I've made my feelings on The Wire pretty clear, you won't find me arguing with that! Aside from the storyline, the final montage, the image of history repeating, etc, I loved the subtle, classy touches of the last episdode - no actors names were featured in the opening titles, and I LOVED that the end credits listed just "David Simon". Nice.