TV Recommendations

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Futbol_Head, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking about picking up an HDTV within the $300-500 price range, a nice 32 incher for my room. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to buy it for gaming mostly. What features should one be looking for in order to tell which TV will provide the best overall picture quality?

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There are lots of TVs in that range, so you have lots of reviews to read. For your situation, you should look for low refresh rates (12 is good, 6 is best). Multiple HDMI ports would also be good, but even the cheapest modern set has those these days. Ideally you should go to a store and look at them, but know that stores will usually turn up the brightness all the way, so it won't look exactly like that when you get home.

3. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, and just to narrow it down a bit, I'm leaning towards picking up an LCD TV.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's not 1080p, don't get it. I can't remember which type it is, but I have a Sony SXRD(?) with the "lightbulb in back." It's a nice TV, and a Champions League sponsor.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The problem is that this leaves just about nothing within his price range.

6. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little above your price range, but 1080p

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-quot-1080p-LCD-HDTV/dp/B001GKK14I"]http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-quot-1080p-LCD-HDTV/dp/B001GKK14I[/ame]

7. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've narrowed it down to the Samsung or the Vizio.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My motto sometimes: "You only live once, and you're not gonna take it with you." Unfortunately, there are these things called "bills" that must be taken care of.

My neighbor has a Vizio and likes it. According to him, most of the companies are very equal in their product, so Sony/Samsung/Vizio/etc you can't go wrong with.

However, if I had a choice, i've been awed by Samsung over the past few years. Some SD channels seen on Samsung look great. (Of course, a lot of it has to do with the channel.)

9. old timer45

old timer45 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    With-in the 32" market, I'd stick with a name brand as my primary focus. Also, going 1080, you wont see it. Consider a 720 for 32" HDTV.

10. Proud Asian

Proud Asian New Member

Jun 10, 2013
    First of all look either it is LED, LED provides the best and stable picture compared to other type [ except for the old tube type ], the other of course look how much resolutions it can show and of course if it supports HDMI.