TV RATINGS: WCQ, MLS, EPL, Friendlies, GOLD Cup, ETC. PART III

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by stingbee30, Jul 24, 2013.

1. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    I think it is time we put the other thread to rest...Going forward, we can use this thread to post anything to do with TV ratings when it comes to Soccer/Football in States. Thank you.

2. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    My initial post:

Gold Cup Implications: I expect FOX Soccer to have one of the best dates in it's history. With the Gold Cup Semifinals, it could be very well be a record TV rating date for this fledgling outlet. Here are my expectations:

US vs. HON should bring about 900k-1.1 million for FOX Soccer.
    Mex vs. PAN should bring about 700k-800k viewers.

To suffice, it will be a record date for FOX Soccer, and the US game could very well be the highest rated game ever on FOX Soccer eclipsing the previous high set during Gold Cup 2011 Final.

3. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer)
    7/25/13, 5:35 PM
    The USA's Gold Cup semifinals win over Honduras was the 2nd most watched telecast ever on FOX Soccer, behind only the 2011 Gold Cup final.

4. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    why is it so hard to get actual numbers from FOX broadcasts? We still don't know the final rating of the quarterfinal game.

5. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

What are the numbers ?

6. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Well, Their record was almost 1 million viewers with about 1.47 overnight rating share for the 2011 Final...The way I see it, it did around 900k viewers-950K viewers on FOX Soccer. Pretty much within my expectations.

7. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have not been release yet. The old top 5 was this, so you can see it is a pretty big range between 1 and 2 so the game fell somewhere in that area.

1. USA-Mexico, 2011 Gold Cup final (1.1 million viewers)
    2. Chelsea-Liverpool, 2011 EPL (579,000)
    3. Manchester United-Real Madrid, 2013 UEFA Champions League (520,000)
    4. Chelsea-Manchester United, 2012 EPL (499,000)
    5. USA-Costa Rica, 2013 Gold Cup first round (484,000)

8. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    My Final taught leading to #GoldCup Final...

Both Fox and Univision will see healthy numbers. I see both Fox and Univision splitting the national audience. For the first time, we could see the English language broadcast pulling more viewers than their Spanish counterpart. The main reason is the absence of Mexico in the final. Without Mexico, Univision will suffer a decline of about 25%-40% in average viewership. For the first time, many viewers are getting introduced to this tournament. I expect this tournament to get bigger down the road, with more games shown on national outlets like FOX (since they have the contract for a while).

FOX:

The Final should bring score around 1.9-2.4 in the overnight ratings. The national rating will settle around 1.7-1.8. Viewership threshold breakdown:

1) US vs PAN will see a minimum of 2.5-3.0 million viewers on FOX. The numbers should fall more in the range of 2.8-3.0 million viewers.
    2) The best numbers FOX could pull will be around 3.0-3.5 million viewers. This will more than likely happen with an overtime game.
    3) A speculative bid will be to see numbers reaching between 3.5-4.0 million viewers. This is unlikely.

Univision:

Univision should see around 3.0-3.5 million average viewers. It would have been much higher with Mexico. The numbers could have reached around 5 million or so with Mexico.

To suffice, the final tally for total viewership between FOX and Univision will be around 6.5-7.5 million viewers, capping around 8 million viewers. FOX has a good chance of beating Univision with no Mexico. This tournament will get much bigger down the road and we should see more visibility on national outlets (FOX has the rights for the time being, but I wouldn't be surprised to see FOX adding more games to the mothership channel to complement their upcoming World Cups)

9. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    THIS JUST IN: GOLD CUP FINAL POSTS FOX SPORTS’ SECOND BEST SOCCER OVERNIGHT EVER…
    The 2013 CONCACAF GOLD Cup Tournament concluded yesterday with the United States Men’s National Team defeating Panama 1-0 in the championship match broadcast live on FOX from Soldier Field in Chicago. The Game posted a 1.7/4 overnight household rating/share as Team USA won its 11th consecutive match, and fifth Gold Cup Championship (first since 2007). Yesterday’s broadcast was +42% over the overnight rating posted by last Sunday’s Gold Cup quarterfinal match on FOX (1.2/3), and is FOX' second-highest metered market rating ever for a soccer match, trailing only a 1.8/5 for 2011's UEFA Champions League Final between Barcelona and Manchester United. Kansas City led all markets with a 3.2/7, followed by San Diego (3.1/8) and Washington, DC (3.0/7).

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

stingbee30 repped this.
  10. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Just a little below my range for the overnight rating. We will see about 2.5 million viewers...

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Kansas City????
    Awesome!
    Is Besler that popular? People remember and reminiscing when EJ when he played for the Wizards?
    I wonder why the big number?
    :p

12. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  13. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Final numbers...

Gold Cup ended with 1.4 national rating, matching the highest rated Soccer telecast on FOX. We had 2.4 million viewers, only trailing the 2.6 million for 2011 UEFA Champion League Final. The game peaked with 1.9 rating in the last few minutes, and 1.8 rating for the 5:45-6:00 pm block....

0.9 national rating for Quarterfinal match on FOX. That game had about 1.5 million viewers...

14. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    This means the game peaked with around 2.7-3.0 million viewers.

15. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Soccer America

Gold Cup final was watched by an average of 4.7 million viewers: 2.4 million on FOX (1.4 final rating) and 2.3 million on Univision.

16. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Total rating will be around 2.7-2.8 rating

17. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Still annoys me that soccer can outdraw every other sporting event, but then turn on sportscenter and baseball games which only had a fraction of the audience get 5x more coverage.

Also, I still can't understand why FOX cut off the trophy ceremony. It's not like the following program is going to outdraw it. In general, every aspect of FOX's production is just garbage. The people running FOX sports simply can't comprehend what the word quality means. I can't help but dread what their next stunt is gonna be when 2018 comes around.

18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    What was the audience for baseball as a whole, including for local broadcasts?

19. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    The US v HON Semis scored 930k viewers on Univision Deportes. Add another 900k or so viewers on FOX Soccer for the same match. Great numbers for a tournament like this...

20. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    It appears that the Big Fox is showing a game this Saturday night featuring the Guiness International Cup according to my DirecTV guide. Was this a late addition? If that is the case, then it will be the first prime time Soccer match on national broadcasting channel in the US. I have Real Madrid vs. TBA.

21. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    MLSFan123 repped this.
  22. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    1.30 million viewers with a 0.5 Key Demo rating was above my expectation for the Top 56 markets.The final numbers could adjust higher or lower...based on these markets, the rating was 0.8... This pretty impressive for a Preseason match. The demo was as high as those other primetime shows with higher rating

23. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    My EPL Take:

I think NBC should be commended in terms of how they are approaching their new Soccer property. With all the marketing and hype, I think we are going to see a major bump in EPL ratings this season. The core audience reach might be around 1 million viewers in States (those who follow EPL with passion). But, the casual viewership level is going to go higher starting with this season. EPL on the Big NBC is going to help tremendously in terms of branding and bringing new fans to the game. NBC could always had more games to NBC. This season we might start with 20 games, but the following seasons could be a different story.

NBC: The Scheduled 20 games on the main network should pull on the average around 700k-800k viewers. Some telecast with marquee matches will bring over 1+million viewers. I expect the ratings for the Marquee matches featuring the likes of Chelsea, ManU, ManCity, Arsenal, and Spurs could reach as high as 1.5-2.3 million viewers. The lowest rating we might see on NBC will be around 500K viewers this season.

NBCSPN: The remaining games on this cable platform will bring about 280
    k-350k viewers on the average, with some games reaching the 500K-600K viewership level.

To suffice, EPL is going to see new records this season on the NBC network. NBC is giving the Premier treatment, and this will attract some new viewers to their platforms.

24. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

You don't forget the Liverpool......

stingbee30 repped this.
  25. Gonzo