Tuscon Diamond Cup (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Feb 18, 2012.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall, I still don't have a good feeling about the strikers, at least the way they're having to play so far... what was it, 2 goals in 7 games now?

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chances were solo affairs that would likely have resulted in at least one goal if there had been a adequate 2nd forward of someone making a supportive run into the box. As it was these chances were easy meat for a good Keeper to stop because they were one on one and at bad angles as well.

FWIW, I don't think we saw out starting lineup last night. I'm still not sure exactly who will start but the DCU reject that started at Forward is a non-starter/

3. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sene has been getting himself into position to score goals. He likes to run at players or into space as opposed to playing with his back to the goal. I wish his finishing prowess was a little higher during the pre-season. I still think he will pay off for us.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it sounds like we've signed him.

5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that. I guess we need to see what the roster looks like later this week to see if it is in fact true. Anyway, I don't see him as a starter.

6. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Agreed - the Revs haven't had a forward who creates his own chances + those foot skills + speed for a while. Once he learns to stop kicking the ball directly at the goalie he'll be fine, and it might just be a product of rust/nerves right now.

7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is almost as bad as 2010 SuperLiga

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only difference - this tournament was held in Mexico.. err.. Arizona. ;)

9. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the normal negativity aside......I was encouraged by the showing in arizona

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three (four if you include Mansally's PK).

But those 3 are from:
    Roach (unsigned, unlikely to see significant minutes if he is)
    Fagundez (bright future, but team keeping tight reins on him this year)
    Runstrom (still unsigned)

I'd feel a little better if Sene had scored at least once this preseason.

11. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    At least this loss can serve as a swift kick in the pants to any of the newbies thinking they're going to be world-beaters riding on W's.

A nice glimpse of reality, but backed with some confidence of playing well for a number of games just before this loss. They must _know_ they can play like they did for the first games. This just brings them down to earth a bit and can serve to make them strive for the energy and vision of the earlier games.

Kevin D.

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grading all four teams at the Desert Diamond Cup
    March 4, 2012
    Jonah Freedman
    MLSsoccer.com

13. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You saw a good representation of our first squad against Juninho and a bunch of reserve guys..!!

We actually looked like we came to WIN that tournament, but the result wasn't what they wanted...LA was going through the motions of actually looking to see what players would be good for their squad.

I like Rowe..but not much else about this squad is giving me the fuzzies. Gonna be interesting to see how this new "Accountability" is going to play out when the season begins.

I've said this before. Considering all this "not renew" Nicol's contract and go all out looking for a new coach and sign exciting players, etc..etc..!! If we don't have 10 points after the first 5 games then it will be quite sad..!

15. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want us to go nearly undefeated in the first 5 games? :eek:

16. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think 7-8 points is reasonable though. San Jose sucks. I'm convinced they are one of the worst in the league. I think Portland is kinda crap. KC and Dallas are good, but certainly there are points that could be had there. In the first 5, LA is really the only team that is probably a loss...unless of course we catch them in a monsoon with a depleted lineup.

Going 3-1-1 against that schedule isn't that far out of the realm of possibilities considering how I assume they will start under a new coach with young players. I think this teams real test will come in late-spring/earl-summer when they get deeper into the season, the excitement wears off and the tactical game becomes more prevalent.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, now this is the kind of unfounded optimism I can get behind. ;)

The Revs won one road game all last year, most of us think that this team will be a bit better, but we're already expecting 3-1-1 with 4 of the first 5 on the road (including games against KC and LA that lost 2 combined home games last year). I love it! :D

18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    ahha i'm not predicting 3-1-1

I think they will probably be more like 2-2-1. I am not that impressed with KC or Dallas. They are decent. I think KC rode a lot of the new stadium fever last year. With how relatively close most teams in MLS are, external and emotional factors are usually the decider. Early doors, the Revs have the motivation and emotion.

19. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want them to win 20% less games than their season ticket renewal!! =)

I'm being as unrealistic with what I'd like for their first 5 games to be...As the Kraft Org. has been about making a commitment to Soccer in New England!!

I'm not sold on all this accountability..!!! I think it's just smoke being forced up our ass...Because if this team is in the relegation zone after 5 games, then all this Rosy Holy Water sprinkled down from Kraft's pulpit about how much has been done this offseason, won't mean a damn thing..!!

21. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they have 5 points after 5 games..I won't be happy, but I won't be throwing the toaster into the hot tub when the FO has their monthly pool party..!!

Much of my emotion will also be based on their actual play during those 5 games. Play with some passion and flair..so even in a loss, I'll feel empathy for the guys...otherwise, anger ensues!