Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Pasha

Pasha Member

May 16, 2004
    St Louis, USA
    I'll probably have to ask my wife to click and not tell me the score :)

Redbullsnation2012 and daniloni repped this.
  2. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    All studio shows meaning any of the US offerings or in general? I think NBC’s studio crew is fantastic. I also watched the world cup on bbc/itv and couldnt wait to hear what they had to say before and after the match in the studio. To me Slaven Bilic talking about his opinion and observations about the country he played for and managed in the past is extremely interesting. To watch a retired basketball player who is a big fan of football but thats all he has to offer, is not worth me watching.

3. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so funny. It's like going backwards in time. I remember back when ESPN only showed one or two games a week and you could only watch online through UEFA's website at a ridiculous $5 a game. Now we're right back there. I need to check out this Univision app. All games free huh? Time to learn some more Spanish.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think I'd rather pay $5 for a game than pay $3 for one that I already know the score of.

OTOH, isn't Turner showing 4 live matches per matchday? That's not so bad.

5. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez guys, let’s not act so spoiled. Just look askance as you click on the match. Voila, it’s new to you!! And the yearly package comes to $6.67 per month. Like a latte and a scone. I’m in!!

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't think I'm acting spoiled. I acknowledged 4 games per matchday is pretty good.

But lets be realistic... its simply not possible to watch a replay without seeing the score. It's in giant 28-point font when you go to the site, with the winning team in bold! Granted, that's an easy fix.

7. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t mean to come at you. Just saying that the amount of football/futebol/futbol/fussball/soccer we now have access to is infinitely greater than just 5 years ago, let alone a decade or more. Seeing scores annoys me too, but if we write emails I’m sure they’ll fix the interface.

bselig and BocaFan repped this.
  8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    socceraction's site at http://soccertvblog.com/uefa-cl-tv/ lists three of the six Playoff Round first legs on TV:

Tuesday August 21: Benfica vs. PAOK on TNT and Galavision
    Wednesday August 22: Ajax vs. Dynamo Kiev on TNT and Young Boys vs. Dinamo Zagreb on Galavision

All the games are at 3:00 P.M. There will be pregame at 2:00 P.M. and postgame at 5:00 P.M. on TNT for Tuesday and Wednesday both weeks. TNT will have one second leg each day and hasn't chosen which game yet. Galavision starts coverage at 2:30 P.M.

Orange14 repped this.
  9. Pasha

Pasha Member

May 16, 2004
    St Louis, USA
    I wouldn't pay $3 per game, but $80 per season is not so bad. After all, I don't mind paying for NHL annual package, either.

10. Pasha

Pasha Member

May 16, 2004
    St Louis, USA
    Now, will b/r live show BATE vs PSV?

11. Pasha

Pasha Member

May 16, 2004
    St Louis, USA
    They claim they will show everything starting from the Play-off round, but livesoccertv.com does not list anything for b/r next week...

12. Pasha

Pasha Member

May 16, 2004
    St Louis, USA
    Never mind, the app does have the game listed. BATE here we come!

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    With the NHL package you know what you're paying for. With this, we don't. Not yet at least.

I don't know why anyone would pay the $80 for CL now since nearly every match you are interested in could wind-up on free TV. I would certainly wait until after the TV schedule of Univision and B/R comes out for matchday 1 to get a sense of what type of games will be steaming-only.

At this point, it only seems worth it for Europa League.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'm taking the wait-and-see approach too. $10/mo. isn't a big deal to me if I want/need to see matches behind that paywall, but I'm not confident right now that I won't be satisfied just having the matches on TV. Next week, for instance, I'm most interested in the Benfica match anyway. In group play, do I really need to see Juventus v. Young Boys?

It's really going to depend on the group draw and how the groups play out. It'll likely be one specific match not on TV that'll eventually get me to subscribe.

15. Pasha

Pasha Member

May 16, 2004
    St Louis, USA
    Well, BATE vs PSV next week is a good example. Doesn't seem as if it's going to be on TV. Granted, my preferences might be different from most others'. Chelsea is my favorite team, and they will play in Europa League. Also, being from the former USSR, I normally root for all the ex-Soviet teams, and, again, there is no guarantee their games will end up on TNT/Univision (especially the Europa League ones).

16. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #191 QPR Kevin H, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Others have probably figured this out but here's how it looks like the matches on TNT will breakdown...

1 SuperCup
    4 Playoff (2 ties, 2 legs)
    24 Group Stage (4 matches x 6 matchdays)
    8 Round of Sixteen (4 ties x 2 legs)
    4 QFs (2 ties x 2 legs)
    4 SFs (2 ties x 2 legs)
    1 Final
    -------------------------------
    46 total matches on TNT TV

(please let me know if any of the above looks wrong :))

Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is better than I was expecting since the initial reports were that the games would be on TruTV.

18. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #193 daniloni, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    I don’t think I’m spoiled, and I happily pay for Fanatiz, ESPN+. I (unhappily) pay for NBC Gold. I even get a grandfathered Fubo Latino just to get TyC and Gol TV in HD. I paid for Matchpass when that was the only way to ensure getting all CL and EL games and before Fanatiz got Copa Libertadores/Sudamericana. I have no problem with paying if something is worth it. The problem with B/R is that they’re charging for something I can get for free (for me since I have DirecTV) on Univision. Not quite sure what Univision will do with Europa League, but I’m pretty confident that I won’t watch enough games on B/R that an annual pass will be worth it. Whatever Europa League or Belgian (likely none) I need, I can do at $3 per game.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  19. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    For all of you concerned with spoilers with the B/R app/website. I noticed yesterday on the Roku channel that they did not have scores posted for the replays when you open up the app.

20. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Spoilers on the br site seem to have gone away. Might end up subbing.

Having trouble wrapping my mind around the whole univision thing. If I only had Univision and their other networks and needed to watch something that wasn't on one of their networks later that night, is that archived somewhere or gone for good? Same with the games actually on their networks. They have multiple apps and I don't quite get it.

21. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the overflow games are not (yet?) available on Univision Now. However it appears that you will be available to watch archived games (actually shown on the network) on Univision Now, although the process isn’t super straightforward. On Roku, you select the Univision network you want to watch live and a menu appears of the bottom for you to scroll through of programs that were recently shown on the network. Scrolling back on that list while watching Univision Deportes Network (pressing “cargar más” (load more), it showed the Liga MX games they showed over the weekend.

22. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Logging in to Univision Now is a mess for me, but can get straight in to Univision.com/deportes

23. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    The Univision Deportes app has been crashing like crazy all afternoon for me. I can get to the main page, I click on "En Vivo", then it shoots right to black and totally crashes.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Audio feed for the Benfica x PAOK match about a half second behind the video. Better than the FOX other way around though.

Overall, pleasantly surprised at TNT's coverage.

25. The_TMangrove

The_TMangrove New Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Aug 20, 2018
    I laughed at Steve Nash pre-game when he said he'd never seen PAOK play before. There were four of their previous qualifiers available for replay on Bleacher Report, so apparently they can't get their own staff to use the service :)

I was happy there weren't score updates from the other games during play. I watched a recording of the TNT game while I had a replay of BATE v. PSV on the other TV. Afterwards I could watch a replay of the third game without knowing the score.