Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might do that. Not excited for paying for that horrible app and I'm not going to watch other CL games for teams I don't care about.

2. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    App definitely needs an upgrade. Horrible for such a huge company.

3. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Univisión signed legendary announcer Luis Omar Tapia.

¡Comienzan los 90 minutos del deporte más hermoso del mundo!

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    One of the worst. Can't stand him.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Probably don't have to pay for all 6 either since by chance some would land on free TV, maybe all of them if that team is Man Utd, Madrid, Liverpool, etc.

6. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I like Tapia, keeps his voice at a even tone, no screaming or constantly asking stupid questions from the commentators like Pablo Ramirez.

7. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Sounds kind of pricey by price point but you would have thought Turner had done serious market research behind this.

After all, CL cash is driven by mammoth teams in group and particularly knockout stages so I think they can count on a fair number of monthly subscribers those months.

Europa League will just be an added bonus to those monthly subscribers. Otherwise, I bet it's just fans of certain big teams paying per game to see their team play.

If it works out decently for them, it might convince La Liga to sign on with Turner during next rights negotiation.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I can't imagine it working-out well for them. There are still a lot of CL matches on regular TV, which makes the paid streaming seem like an even worse deal.

Anyway, we'll get an idea of how bad it is today. They're showing the Super cup match between Madrid and Atleti. :coffee:

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have "UEFA- BR Football Matchday" at 2:00 P.M. for one hour and "UEFA- BR Football Postmatch" at 5:00 P.M. for 30 minutes. Univision has the game as one show with coverage from 2:30 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.

Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So how was the coverage?

11. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Just started watching it now on DVR but they used the world feed announcer so yay.

12. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I couldn't get past that studio. it looked like they were in a garage somewhere.

13. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    The key is to just watch the matches. Every minute spent watching punditry is a minute I could be watching another match.

Shen-O, daniloni and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  14. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Watching it on dvr.

Watched pregame coverage, decent analysis but fluff mixed in too. Expected as this was a get to know me type of broadcast. I think it's about the same as your average tv pregame show.

HomietheClown repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Sadly this is true. The first 20 minutes (no exaggeration) of the pregame show was spent talking about Cristiano. He's not even involved in the match you're previewing!

Anyway, overall not bad. Good commentary, no fake crowd noise/drum beat in the background. That's 2 notches better than FOX right there.

16. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    World feed commentators was a plus. Im assuming this will be the case for the CL martches as well because they didnt sign an actual commentator to my knowledge.

The pregame I made it like 2 mins. No one there has anything to offer in terms of european competition. Not sure why this was who they decided to call upon.

One other thing Im confused by is why B/R and not TNT. Im assuming to appeal to the millenials becuase B/R is considered cool? Its not like they say B/R Hoops on TNT. Call it what it is. Will that hook the US audience more than saying this is the best of the best in terms of club football?

17. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    They're probably going with B/R Live to promote the streaming service.

18. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They're using this as a way to boost the B/R name and profile. Yeah age could be a factor (vs NBA like you mention) but Champs League is also mainly an online product and B/R is their online brand. Funny enough I streamed it through the TNT site since I knew that it was on TNT yesterday. Thought coverage and presentation was fine. All studio shows are the same to me, unless they have Lalas/Wynalda/Piers Morgan involved then I will actively avoid.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That never stopped FOX or BeIN from muting the world feed commentary. :laugh:

But they signed Tim Howard and Stuart Holden. :cry:

20. Pasha

Pasha Member

May 16, 2004
    St Louis, USA
    Watching Zenit St Petersburg vs Dinamo Minsk right now (Minsk is my native city, so...). No commentary, but otherwise works fine on my phone.

21. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Looks like there's no replay of the game from yesterday on the Unvision Deportes app, so it may be live only. This is going to suck for people who wanted to stream Champions League games on demand because they're at work.

22. Pasha

Pasha Member

May 16, 2004
    St Louis, USA
    I am at work :). The phone is placed inconspicuously on my table, and the sound goes via headphones. But yeah, watching replays with scores displayed will suck.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Especially since streaming a replay isn't an option on B/R either. Oh well, most matches of relevance are on regular TV so DVR will be busier than usual.

24. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just purchased 12 month subscription to B/R Live. All CL and EL matches plus some Belgian for less than $7 per month. I can handle that. Together with my Fubo at $12 and my ESPN+ at like $3/month, throw in Fanatiz and I’m set with soccer for $30/month. Boom

25. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I did the free trial to B/R last season for Scottish League and I would likely use it for this seasons UCL/UEL if not for the fact that you have to see the score before you click on the on demand version of the match