Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Same situation here--and TUDN is definitely part of my cable package (through Spectrum). I'm blocked from TUDNxtra games on the tudn.com web site, but can access them on my tablet with the TUDN Android app.

On both, I have to provide my cable subscription credentials. On the app, it takes me to the live feed, on the web site, I get a "Sorry you do not have access to this content in your current package" message.

2. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Fantastic job by TUDN today on Fubo.
    All matches streamed, recordable and available for 3 days on demand.

And the Zona Futbol channel is icing on the cake.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.
    Fubo has the best coverage of the Champions League for sure.

4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Definitely liked the Zona stream. I'll probably just watch that via app most matchdays

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching B/R's pregame show. Methinks they've reached a new low:

A good portion of today's show was dedicated to the discussion of fashion sneakers with close-ups of each analysts feet. Then later there was a diaper changing contest. Literally. With baby dolls, and the three guys seeing who could change a diaper fastest.

Oh, and I didn't even mention the really long fluffy segment with Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki.

Someone should put the B/R producers out of their misery.

QPR Kevin H and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  6. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm with you, but I suspect many people would have liked the diaper changing contest.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I guess there are other TV shows they could find, where diaper changing is a more common and apropos feature.

If I were any one of the "talent" on this show, I'd be downright embarrassed. And seriously considering how to influence the producers decisions, or get out of my contract with Turner.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I stopped trying to understand people, I just know they eat up anything that is kid-related.

What I noticed last night though (or got reminded after forgetting over the summer) is that ESPN must not have the rights to show CL highlights. I was relying on them since I couldn't watch any of the matches. This might mean I need to record Turner's post match show from now on. Though do they even show highlights in their post match show or is it pure muppet "analysis"?

10. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    B/R shows the Champions League highlights on YouTube just shortly after the matches are over, and they're usually 5 minutes long. If you don't want to wait to record highlight shows or whatever, just watch them on YouTube.

(Yeah, I get that people want to watch stuff on their TV, but this is still a viable option.)

Redbullsnation2012 and beInSchwartz repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I record B/R's post-match show for this reason. But it's really bad. The highlights take up only a very minute portion of the show... the rest of it is endless talking heads & fashion discussions. I guess maybe Turner only has rights to show a certain # of mins of highlights? Also, they do that thing that GoalZone often does, by announcing the result right before they show highlights. And they talk over the whole thing, so you get no sense of the original sound/commentary/etc.

That exemplifies a bad trend here I think, for American TV recap shows. As was suggested, probably the best quality highlights are found on the web. I've taken to Googling just the team names, e.g. "Napoli Liverpool" and the recap/highlights are right near the top. And the highlights are exactly what I wanna see: 5 mins with original broadcast feed sounds & commentary.

Some problems with this method are:

1) The final score is prominently displayed before you click on the recap/highlights. (Maybe there's some clever way to avoid those spoilers, but it's probably nowhere near as simple as one would like)

2) You have to search for each match's highlights separately. Personally, I just want the old UEFA matchday highlights/review show that ran for so many years on ESPN & Fox IIRC. (Don't get me started on the Premier League!)

12. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  13. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Thanks, been doing this with the PL now and it's nice that B/R is posting them. Getting greedy and hope they'll compile all of the goals from the round as well.

BR Live's postmatch show was farcical yet again. They have 30 second snippets and the highlights for one of the matches had the same image occur 3-4 times in a row. Just an awful production end to end. At least they leave the match commentary alone.

14. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    They've done this for yesterday's games. Cool. No more FF'ing through fake debates.

15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'd be curious to find out how many people in 2019 don't have YouTube on their TV, if they have TVs.

16. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    #691 beInSchwartz, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Is there a list of providers that should have access to TUDN Extra(on browser at the moment)? Not the easiest thing for a non-spanish speaker to wade through.

17. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I doubt it (looking at their site) but wonder if there's a Zona Futbol on TUDN for the Europa League. Would be fun -- maybe a little exhausting for the host though :coffee:

18. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Just renewed my monthly $10 B/R Live subscription. Sounds like it was worth it to avoid all of this TUDN drama, plus I get all the commentary in English.

19. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    I'm considering this as well. I just have major issues with br live on my browser for some reason. I delete cookies, change my login, etc. and it still gets stuck on the login screen for minutes unless I open in an incognito browser. Just far too annoying to do a new chrome setup for that.

20. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I'm using Firefox with Windows 10 and have a tab open right now with a match, no trouble logging in or watching (although I rarely use a web browser to watch).

Their Fire TV app is great for watching replays, one click on the FF button on the remote is a 10-second skip so I can usually watch a full match in about an hour.

21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There is a Zona Futbol stream for the Europa League - fantastic!

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yiup.

And for us Dish subscribers it is also now available on the Dish Hopper receiver channel 858.

Would have been nice to have the last couple of CL days but better late than never.:thumbsup:

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good point. I was kind of banking on the TUDN feed having SAP - English. Last year, our matches general did on Gala/Uni, but not today. :(

As for B/R Live, how did it behave for you today? No big hiccups?

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I so wish all the developers would get hip to the usefulness of this. Whether it's 10, 15 or 30 secs, it's worth it's weight in gold!!! (Obviously you need a similar RWD button as well) The streaming providers would do well to study how and why DVR's worked so well for people.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's Zona Futbol?