Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Univisión Deportes Network and Televisa Deportes Network will be rebranded TUDN.

"Tu deporte Network"? "Tu deporte Noticias"?

2. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Televisa-Univision Deportes Network?

unclesox and TJNash repped this.
  3. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Did not know that TNT had picked up the Europa Final, but it has.

4. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Since the beginning of the season but they announced early that only the Final would be shown on the network. All matches (from the Group Stage on) were available on the BRLive streaming service (which Turner owns).

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched today's EL Final in a pub where I couldn't hear the PBP virtually at all. At the time I chalked that up to a bit of rowdiness there, plus my lack of hearing.

But now that I'm playing back the match on DVR, I can hear that the main commentator Tony Jones sounded muffled like he was talking through a pillow, whereas his partner David Pleat sounded quite clear. Come to think of it, Pleat's voice was the only thing that cut through the pub noise.

So, I guess this wasn't really B/R's fault because it was just a feed they got. I guess it was Tony's microphone that was simply sub par. Too bad. For such a big game. (we we completely and categorically stunk up BTW)

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #581 NorthBank, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Surprised at them using the feed from BT(?) for the CL Final.

Have they been doing that earlier this season?

I don't remember hearing this team before: Darren Fletcher, Jermaine Jenas, and Stephen Warnock(?)

Except on BBC 5Live Football Daily show.

Edit: apparently that was not their plan A. Because 2T KO they went with Tony Jones and David Pleat.

7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Is it my imagination or did they switc commentators for the second half of The champions league final?

8. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep. TNT used the BT announcers in the first half but went with the World Feed in the second...

NaBUru38 repped this.
  9. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Too bad they couldn't switch to a better game in the second half

NaBUru38, Redbullsnation2012 and bigtw64 repped this.
  10. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It beats their or even god forbid Fox’ in house commentary but how amateur hour is that? Accidentally switching commentary? What a joke

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know for a fact that it was accidental? I assumed they had technical problems with their normal world feed, and had to use the BT feed as Plan B. But I didn't listen to the beginning when Abdo handed the coverage over to the announcers.

In any case, their coverage of the final seemed to me to be the worst I've seen, compared to ESPN & FOX.

12. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The articles that came out about it make it sound like they switched to the world feed because they were having technical problems with the BT feed, but (going by my memory which has been wrong) I thought Abdo said “Tony Jones and David Pleat” when handing over coverage at the beginning of the match, which would mean having the BT feed was the mistake. Does anyone have a better memory than me or have time and the game recorded (or a b/r subscription assuming the pregame was archived)?

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    it was either that or play down an announcer.

14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Embarrassing for Turner on Saturday. She definitely said words to the effect of let's hand it over to our commentary team Tony Jones and David Pleat and it turned out to be McManaman, Jenas etc. and then not a word said about it at half time. Quite the amateur hour. I know there may be "technical difficulties" but this is what better broadcast companies figure out BEFORE they happen with the biggest sporting event in the world this year.

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  15. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Accident or not it’s very poor for a major network. Clearly they don’t value the sport but thats irrelevant at this point.

I would like to draw your attention to whatever year it was in which Fox had NFL host Kurt Menefee in the on location studio sending us over to the commentary stylings of Gus Johnson. I definitely watched Fox Deportes that year.

I am of the belief that if every network ran like Espn+ (b/r could learn a lot from them) us footy fans would be very happy with the outcome. They primarily use international feed commentary and the quantity of matches they show is phenomenal.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello Father, how's life? I hope you could look beyond any shortcomings of the match/coverage and just enjoy the result!

17. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So after following TNT/BR's coverage for the whole year there are a couple of takeaways

-First it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was able to watch every match I wanted to at the time I wanted to without spoilers. So met the minimum expectations and was better than fox when it came to spoilers.

I did have to pay for matches at times but personally it's not a big deal. I understand the complaints of putting matches behind paywalls but my biggest priority is watching my team, and i'm willing to pay as long as it is a sure thing.

What was as bad if not worse than I thought it was going to be was the studio coverage.No originality, no depth, no unique or particularly thought provoking insight. It almost felt like they were more interested in impressing their hipster audience with their lack of socks than they were bringing anything to the game. I am not a fan of Lalas on Fox but at least he brings something different to the studio.

Overall would give a B. I got to see every match I wanted to see, for usually under $5 a month, and at least for me the streams worked. But would have liked an extra game or two per matchday on TV and a more engaging studio show.

Art Deco and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  19. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah it wasn't the disaster it looked like it was going to be last summer when the B/R app came out and it shoved spoilers in our faces. Once it got going and they put spoiler-free mode into play it was a fairly reliable way to watch all of the Champions and Europa league matches, at half the price Fox Soccer Match Pass charged us the season before. Their Fire and Roku apps worked fine and I especially enjoyed the Fire TV app where a simple click on the FF button jumped the action ahead 10 seconds.

The only complaints I had were a couple of things they did on the TNT telecasts. Late in the group stages, they used Steve Nash and somebody else in place of the world feed announcers, but thankfully abandoned that once the knockout rounds started, and then during the quarterfinals they started periodically showing the score of the match being played simultaneously. Since that was the last time simultaneous matches were being played, I don't know if they'll start employing that next season but I hope they don't. But even if they do, it just means I'll have to watch the TNT match last (and perhaps also they don't do it on the feed on the app)

As I don't really care about studio shows or whether the match is available on cable tv vs streaming, I'd give them an A-.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you guys are pretty generous in your grading. I only watched their TNT-based stuff because I don't do their digital subscription. But their match coverage was a B- at best because they only had (or used) one channel per match day, so plenty of good or "big" matches (especially in the group stages) just didn't air. As for the pregame/halftime/postgame show, I'd have to give that a D. I can't think of a worse production I've seen on any other channel. So overall I think I'd be hard-pressed to give their whole effort any more than a C.

unclesox and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  21. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    After match day 1 I did most of my viewing on the Univision networks even when TNT was showing a match I was interested in. I actually cannot recall any game shown on TNT that was not also being shown on either UniDeportes, Galavision or UniMas which would have forced me to watch TNT.

22. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd give B/R Live/TNT's coverage a D. The B/R app is garbage to navigate on the browser and on my FireTV. Only had success with it on my Chromecast. Having only ONE EL game on TV is criminal. There has been plenty of good games in the earlier stages that warranted a TV airing. The studio team was meh as well and their in-house commentators were garbage. And they botched the Finals real bad by not sticking to one announcing team...

UDNs coverage was immense. Every game was basically on basic cable TV and the extras was free on their app. The only problem also was their app as they have no app but at least they have HTML5 on their site so you could still use the FireTV browser or Chrome/Chromecast.

beInSchwartz repped this.
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used Univision quite a lot to watch my team live in UEL. It was a godsend, especially the free & easy streaming, which was high quality I might add. (I don't recall if they made me login with my cable provider credentials)

But every time I did that I would've preferred to watch/DVR an English commentary on a Turner channel, as I no habla espanol. I wonder, if they got decent enough ratings this first year, whether they would consider using some other channel like TBS to double their capacity next year? Wishful thinking??

24. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't speak Spanish good either but I love the Spanish announcers and I still watched UDN's coverage...

unclesox and NorthBank repped this.
  25. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I maybe watched about 15 total minutes of TNT pre and post match coverage (with sound on) so I really don't care much about that stuff. I listen to BBC Five Live or BBC London all the way to kickoff. Liked having the main match on TNT and their network streaming was fine, some hiccups. Loved having access to everything via Univision/UDN/Galavision online for no extra cost.

There's some easy things that TNT could tidy up next season and the reviews will be better from writers and fans. Get a real global football expert on the pre/post panel, have Holden and one from Nash/Howard go on location and do stand ups about how cool it is to be there. Abdo's fine.

Overall this was all fine for casual fans and markets with great Univision access. Not so great for the superfan. But that's definitely the trend now with networks wanting to increase ratings and make these investments worthwhile.